• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NEWS: Digital Freeman Founded on New Hampshire Seacoast!

Started by Michael Fisher, February 18, 2005, 03:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Once again, I win by living years behind the 'state of art'.  I, pretty much, buy 10 year old vehicles, and, try to get 10 years out of them.  I realize I have the advantage of being able to do most of my own maintainence.

I would think that 'Electronic Types' would be figuring out a way to make harmless, replacement modules or alter the existing ones to make them harmless.

Kat Kanning

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on March 10, 2005, 09:04 AM NHFT
I would think that 'Electronic Types' would be figuring out a way to make harmless, replacement modules or alter the existing ones to make them harmless.

The information we've posted is already enough to disable and remove most Black Boxes.

We are doing as much research as we can in this area.  Hopefully, we will soon be able to teach others how to disable, remove, or bypass their Black Boxes in any vehicle.

FTL_Ian

How about Toyota?  I only saw GM and Ford in your list..

Michael Fisher

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 10, 2005, 10:03 PM NHFT
How about Toyota?? I only saw GM and Ford in your list..

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/12/07/does_your_car_contai.html

"The list on the Harris Technical Services website, listing the vehicles with "black boxes", is complete and current as far as being able to retrieve crash data from them with commercially available equipment. Other manufacturers, Toyota in particular, have stated they have a data recorder of some type on board but have not released the required software or hardware required to extract the data. They have not published exactly what data is recorded. Pretty much the same for Volvo. Daimler-Chrysler has not commented at all."

Michael Fisher

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf70/138037_web.pdf

Pages 22-25 of this report include a spreadsheet which lists information regarding GM, Ford, DCX, Honda, Toyota, and Volkswagen EDRs.

This report is 5 years old.? I'll continue looking for more recent information.

Russell Kanning

ken

If you uses AOL instant messenger then you need to read this article http://www.benstanfield.com/thrash/2005/03/aol_eavesdrops_.html. The article discusses the recent changes that AOL has made in their AOL Instant Messenger terms of service agreement. Here is the new section from their TOS that people are becoming very concerned about.

QuoteAlthough you or the owner of the Content retain ownership of all right, title and interest in Content that you post to any AIM Product, AOL owns all right, title and interest in any compilation, collective work or other derivative work created by AOL using or incorporating this Content. In addition, by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the Content or to be compensated for any such uses.

Michael Fisher

OMFG!!!

Does a secure direct chat program exist that can guarantee privacy?

I'm never using AIM again.

Kat Kanning

ken

What I use is GAIM you can get it at http://gaim.sourceforge.net/ this is an open source client that allows you send instant messages over MSN, AOL and Jabber, it's free and it's better than MSN or AOLs clients. GAIM in itself isn't a secure form of communication, however there is a plug-in that allows you to encrypt all communications that takes place through the client. The downside to encryption is the person that you are messaging has to have it as well but this would prevent AOL or MSN from viewing or using any of your communications. You can get the GAIM encryption plug-in here http://gaim-encryption.sourceforge.net/.

FTL_Ian

The last time I used GAIM it crashed all over the place.  Trillian 3 has been working well....

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: katdillon on March 14, 2005, 02:07 PM NHFT
AOL sucks in soo many ways.

WHAT!

Actually, I've only ever used AOL and Webtv, which I started with.

I've Never IM'd anyone.

I have never had the illusion of privacy, online.

ken

How long ago did you try GAIM? Open source projects tend to be buggy at first; this is because they are available to the public while they are still in the early testing stages. You should keep in mind that GAIM only hit version 1.0 about 6 months ago, so any release prior to that wasn?t a fully finished product. I have had no problems at all with the current verison so I recommend that you take another look at it. In my opinion Trillian just seems to flashy and  the interface isn?t as clean as GAIM. Also Trillian uses more memory and in order to get access to all of the features you have to pay $25 for the pro version, while GAIM is completely free.

JonM

You're still using AIM's network even if you're not using an AOL client.  Though I'd guess people are either misconstruing a poorly worded policy, or that the policy will be reworded soon.  I doubt AOL has the storage capacity to keep all the AIM message traffic being sent.  Of course, I could be wrong, it's happened before.