• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NEWS: Digital Freeman Founded on New Hampshire Seacoast!

Started by Michael Fisher, February 18, 2005, 03:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Just thought everyone would be interested to know that I'm selling my car and buying an older and cheaper car with no black box.

Why did I spent $20k on a car in the first place?? ????  My new home is only $35k for crying out loud!

Russell Kanning

Quote from: JonM on March 15, 2005, 09:56 AM NHFT
I doubt AOL has the storage capacity to keep all the AIM message traffic being sent.? Of course, I could be wrong, it's happened before.
Can you imagine AOL trying to store all the endless messages between teenage girls over their cellphones?

Michael Fisher

Here's an update on the situation:

Sold my Honda Insight and bought a '95 Jetta, hopefully with no Black Box in it.  We're continuing to educate people that 90% of all cars built nowadays have Black Boxes inside of them.

My mechanic admits that Black Box data is used against people quite often after an accident.

A Black Box is just a computer, and the data can be wrong.  The best choice of action would be to have yours removed by a professional mechanic or sell your car and purchase one built before 1996.

Russell Kanning

Michael Fisher

Pat McCotter

How I got to this thread will remain a mystery to me. It's one of those serendipitous things I think. But...

Did y'all know about HB599 from this last session - rereferred to committee in the Senate? Title is "requiring disclosure to consumers of the presence of event data recording devices in new motor vehicles"

Just thought I'd pop this in here.

Cheers!
Pat

Michael Fisher

The unintended consequences of government:

-Some people are trying to force public disclosure that black boxes are installed in almost all new cars.
Yay, the government can "protect" us from secret spying by big corporations!

-Other people are trying to require that all new cars have black boxes and that they wirelessly transmit all data to a central government database for "insurance and safety purposes".
Oops, the government can also control every aspect of our lives.? That is the nature of government.

Friends don't let friends vote.? ;)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on March 08, 2005, 11:31 AM NHFT
The volunteers at Digital Freeman have done some interesting research that you should know about.? I'll publish one topic at a time.

The majority of color laser printers have government microchips that print light yellow code on each printout you make.? The code includes information about your printer make, model, and serial number, which can be used to easily trace your printouts back to you.? This technology was created to stop counterfeiters, but it is a MAJOR violation of privacy.? Governments worldwide have conspired with printer manufacturers for 20 years to implement this technology without our knowledge.

This secret was well-kept for the past 20 years, but has recently become public knowledge.? For some reason, it seems to be widely ignored by the general public.

We do not believe in conspiracy theories, only facts.? That is why we worked hard to find a way to photograph actual evidence of this.? Apparently, the best way to see the code is to look at a color laser printout under a blue light with a magnifying glass.

Here is some of the evidence we've found so far.? These photographs, captured from a color laser printout of a proof of my new phonebook advertisements, were taken under a blue light with a jeweler's magnifying lens:

http://www.ctgreatbay.com/files/1.JPG
http://www.ctgreatbay.com/files/2.JPG
http://www.ctgreatbay.com/files/3.JPG

DUH, Digital Freeman proved this MONTHS ago.? ???? ::) :P

Today's news:

EFF Reveals Codes in Xerox Printers
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051017/ap_on_hi_te/printer_tracking_codes

By ANICK JESDANUN, AP Internet Writer
Mon Oct 17, 6:25 PM ET

NEW YORK - Just because a document from a color laser printer doesn't carry your name doesn't mean no one can trace it back to you, privacy advocates warn.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation says it has cracked the tracking codes embedded in Xerox Corp.'s DocuColor color laser printers. Such codes are just one way that manufacturers employ technology to help governments fight currency counterfeiting.

"Underground democracy movements ... will always need the anonymity of simple paper documents, but this technology makes it easier for governments to find dissenters," said Lee Tien, EFF senior staff attorney. "Even worse, it shows how the government and private industry make backroom deals to weaken our privacy by compromising everyday equipment like printers."

Researchers found patterns of yellow dots arranged in 15 by 8 grids and printed repeatedly over every color page, said Seth Schoen, a staff technologist at the San Francisco-based civil-liberties group.

The dots are visible only with a magnifying glass or under blue light, which causes the yellow dots to appear black.

By analyzing test pages printed out by supporters worldwide and by staffers at various FedEx Kinko's locations, researchers found that some of the dots correspond to the printers' serial numbers. Other dots refer to the date and time of the printing.

Xerox spokesman Bill McKee would not provide details about the technology. He said the company "does not routinely share any information about its customers," though it does respond to requests from law enforcement.

At the? ? ?Secret Service, which helps develop such technologies with other government agencies and industry, spokesman Eric Zahren said the tools are designed "simply to make it more difficult to utilize that equipment for the illegal activity of reproducing genuine U.S. currency."

"They do not in any way track the use of a personal computer or a person's computer's hardware or software," he added, refusing to elaborate on the technologies.

But Schoen said much can be gleaned from the printouts alone.

Consider two documents, one carrying the author's name and one meant to be anonymous. By comparing the codes, it can be determined whether the two documents came from the same printer, even if Xerox reveals nothing about a customer's serial number, Schoen said.

The EFF is now studying other printers from well-known manufacturers with similar tracking codes, but whose keys remain secret.

The Xerox DocuColor printers are high-end machines more likely to be found in offices and copy centers than in homes.

The U.S. government is involved with other countries in a separate anti-counterfeiting program meant to prevent currency from being scanned and printed.

Adobe Systems Inc. has acknowledged quietly adding the government software to its Photoshop software at the request of regulators and international bankers.

But David Skidmore, a spokesman at the? ? ?Federal Reserve Board, said that the technology, known as the Counterfeit Deterrence System, was aimed mostly at personal computers and ink-jet printers ? not the high-end machines like DocuColor.

Lloyd Danforth

Probably a good idea to buy these things with cash. Try not to leave your name.  If you have to leave a name , claim you're Seth Cohn.

Kat Kanning

Lloyd!   :o   I thought we were being nice to Seth now.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on October 18, 2005, 06:56 AM NHFT
Probably a good idea to buy these things with cash. Try not to leave your name.? If you have to leave a name , claim you're Seth Cohn.

Any government can trace a color printout back to the store it was purchased at in one 10-minute phone call.

Tips for anonymity:
-Pay with cash only.
-NEVER fill out and send in the registration card.
-NEVER buy printers at a store near you.  Buy one on a long road trip far from home.
-Buy on a very busy day if possible so you won't be remembered.

-Wear a disguise when purchasing.  Don't make any sudden movements!  AND STAY CALM!!!  :o ;D  lol

polyanarch

That's why I'll be driving my mid-90's Toyota Camry's for as long as I can find them and the parts to keep them going.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: katdillon on October 18, 2005, 09:52 AM NHFT
Lloyd!   :o   I thought we were being nice to Seth now.

Well, I was thinking of him!  I actually use Mike's name every time I buy a Printer.

davemincin

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on October 18, 2005, 04:51 PM NHFT
Quote from: katdillon on October 18, 2005, 09:52 AM NHFT
Lloyd!? ?:o? ?I thought we were being nice to Seth now.

Well, I was thinking of him!? I actually use Mike's name every time I buy a Printer.

You know actually, I have been using Mike's name around the Seacoast Region a bit lately.  You know, help
the legend grow! ;)

Pat McCotter

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on October 18, 2005, 11:48 AM NHFT

-Wear a disguise when purchasing.? Don't make any sudden movements!? AND STAY CALM!!!? :o ;D? lol

Man in costume robs bank

[attachment deleted by admin]