• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Man shot in traffic stop

Started by Kat Kanning, July 24, 2006, 01:19 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Man shot in traffic stop Few details available in incident involving state police trooper in Marlborough

MELANIE PLENDA and IAN BAGLEY
Sentinel Staff

MARLBOROUGH - A N.H. State Police trooper shot a motorist in the stomach during a traffic stop on Main Street in Marlborough this morning, according to witnesses.

Few details are available, but it's reported by at least two witnesses that police attempted to subdue a subject by using a Taser gun; at some point afterward, police shot the man, the witnesses said.

State police declined comment at the site of the shooting. Troopers had not released a statement by press time, but N.H. State Trooper Scott Ellis said one may be released this afternoon. Information on the name of the trooper involved, the man who was shot, his injuries or condition was not released.

Ellis said the state police major crimes unit out of Concord would be investigating. Any time there is a shooting or similarly serious incident involving a trooper it is handled by the major crimes unit, Ellis said.

Kat Kanning

UPDATE at 1:35 p.m. Man shot in Marlborough may be wanted by Hollis police

Melanie Plenda and Ian Bagley
Sentinel staff

The man shot by a N.H. State Police officer this morning may have been wanted by Hollis police, accused of beating his stepfather unconscious and seriously injuring his mother.

State police declined comment at the site of the shooting. Troopers had not released a statement by press time, but N.H. State Trooper  Scott Ellis said one may be released this afternoon. Ellis said the state police major crimes unit out of Concord would be investigating. Any time there is a shooting or similarly serious incident involving a trooper it is handled by the major crimes unit, Ellis said.

Information on  the name of the trooper involved, the man who was shot, his injuries or condition was not released.

However, Hollis police issued a bulletin for police to be on the lookout for a Sasha Yuksel, 35, of 182 Farley Road, Hollis, a 6-foot-5, 200-pound man, driving a silver Pontiac bearing the license plate 292029, according to a police press release.

Eyewitnesses at the shooting Monday morning described the man who was shot at "rugged" and "big", driving a silver Pontiac with the same license plate number.

Though Hollis Police Lt. James P. Sartell would not confirm if Yuksel was the man who was shot, he did say the car at the shooting site was one that Yuksel was known to drive.

Sartell said Hollis police were called out to 182 Farley Road, for the report of an assault against Yuksel's mother and stepfather, Senka and Robert Fallon, ages 65 and 69. Hollis police said Senka Fallon came to the door with serious injuries to her eyes, head and face and was bleeding profusely. She said she had been beaten by Yuksel, her son, that he had beaten her husband and she believed her husband dead.

Sartell said Robert Fallon was not dead, but had been beaten so severely he was unconscious. He said Yuksel allegedly beat the couple with his fists and did not use a weapon.

The Fallons' conditions are unknown at this time.

According to Hollis police, Yuksel left the house he shares with the Fallons in a silver Pontiac.

Shortly before the shooting this morning, a report went out over police radios that officers should be on the lookout for a silver Pontiac that may have been involved in a hit-and-run accident involving another car near Routes 12 and 32, at the Swanzey-Keene line, according to Keene police Lt. Kenneth J. Meola. The driver was later identified as the person involved in the shooting. Meola said he did not have the man's name.

The victim of the hit-and-run followed the Pontiac toward Keene, but pulled over near 580 Main St. to call police. While Keene and Swanzey police were trying to determine where the accident happened, Meola said, a report came over the radio that the Pontiac had been pulled over by N.H. State Police in Marlborough. Meola declined further comment and directed queries to state police.

tracysaboe

This needs to be reported far and wide in New Hampshire.

Tracy

Pat K

Well so far we don't no a whole lot of the story.

If we take the whole of what we know so far to be true, A man who beat 2 people badly, then hit and ran another, then was resisting arrest was shot.

Seems like he was offering violence to a whole lot of people and got more then he would like in return.

I can live with that.

citizen_142002

He was a violent criminal. Should he have been shot, well if he was a threat to the trooper. I have a feeling that the cop didn't just pop him for no reason. From what I have heard about this case it seems likely that Yuksel offered some kind of violent resistance or threat of deadly force, and I don't place any blame on the trooper.
Of course the case should be objectively evaluated to make sure that the use of force was reasonable, but I don't know why it is always assumed by some people that a police shooting was an unprovoked murder. Police can defend themselves just like the rest of us.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: citizen_142002 on July 25, 2006, 01:22 PM NHFT
I don't know why it is always assumed by some people that a police shooting was an unprovoked murder.

I can't see that anyone said that.

Pat K

Russell Kanning

I think Ty is the young guy that was hired a month ago at Jitter Beans and likes our paper. I will have to talk to him tomorrow.

KBCraig

Quote from: russellkanning on July 25, 2006, 08:29 PM NHFT
I think Ty is the young guy that was hired a month ago at Jitter Beans and likes our paper. I will have to talk to him tomorrow.

In the interest of accuracy, please talk to as many witnesses as you can find.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Witness+defends+trooper%3b+says+he+had+no+choice+but+to+shoot&articleId=5f87cc40-5b4e-4f46-a548-1adbcd0f82a9
QuoteBesides the trooper, there are at least five eyewitnesses to the shooting, and their accounts vary considerably, Brown said.

Russell Kanning

That would be nice, but I actually know one of them, so I will talk to him first. He can write his own article.

tracysaboe

In my studies and experience. The civilian should get the benifit of the doubt.

However this looks very messy from both sides.

Tracy

KBCraig

Quote from: russellkanning on July 25, 2006, 08:29 PM NHFT

Hey, have you had a chance to talk with him yet? I was wondering how his report will compare to the AG's report.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NH_POLICE_SHOOTING_NHOL-?SITE=NHMAL&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Jul 28, 4:13 PM EDT

Attorney General rules officer justified in fatal shooting

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- Attorney General Kelly Ayotte said Friday a state trooper was justified in fatally shooting a Hollis man who attacked him.

Sasha Yuksel, 35, died of internal bleeding from a gunshot wound to the abdomen. He had attacked state Trooper David Hinkell after being pulled over for a suspected hit and run on Monday in Marlborough. Yuksel also was being sought by Hollis police on charges he severely beat his mother and her husband earlier that day.

According to the attorney general's preliminary finding, Yuksel, who was 6-foot-5-inches tall and weighed 235 pounds, punched Hinkell repeatedly in the head, broke his nose and grabbed at his gun holster.

"The trooper also was concerned about losing consciousness as a result of the repeated blows to his head," according to q statement from the attorney general's office.

The trooper attempted to fire his stun gun but it failed to activate. He also used pepper spray to try to repel the attack, but Yuksel knocked it to the ground.

"Yuksel again proceeded to punch Hinkell in the head and face, and Hinkell once more felt Yuksel move his gun holster," the report stated.

After Yuksel wrenched the stun gun from his hand, the trooper pulled out his gun and told him to step back or he would shoot.

"Yuksel grinned at Hinkell and continued advancing on the trooper. Hinkell fired one shot," the report continued.

According the attorney general's statement, Yuksel continued to struggle as the trooper handcuffed him.

The attorney general's office said it reviewed interviews with several witnesses and evaluated the evidence found at the scene before concluding the trooper was justified in using deadly force.

"If Yuksel had succeeded in overpowering the trooper, pushing him into traffic or knocking him unconscious, Hinkell clearly would have been subjected to further serious injury or death," the investigators concluded.

Kat Kanning

Oh, I forgot:

Yesterday I stopped in Marlborough and talked to 2 witnesses to this.  I asked if the final report matched what they had seen, and they said 'not at all'.  I asked them if they'd be willing to write the paper about the differences, but they were scared.  They said they'd consider it though.

jgmaynard

Funny how police reports and eyewitness testimony are almost never the same?

JM