• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Slashdot Hits Made Easy

Started by d_goddard, May 30, 2006, 02:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

Slashdot is read by hundreds of thousands of people, a big portion of whom lean Libertarian.

Most slashdotters are geeks that work in the computer / IT industry.  Most of them are fiercely independent, and reject the authority of the federal government over their freedom to get information on the internet.  The FSP is a dream come true for them. Moreover, they are likely to be able to move to NH sooner rather than later. Many of us (including myself) found out about the Free State Project because it was mentioned on Slashdot, during the media blitz when NH was chosen as the Free State.

Since then, myself and others have tried to get the FSP mentioned on slashdot, to varying degrees of success.

The good thing about slashdot is, anyone can post a comment, and Freedom-related issues are discussed on almost a daily basis.
The bad thing about Slashdot is... for people to see the comment, it needs to get moderated "up", and fast!
We can have thousands of readers on any comment.The key is, to get those comments posted quickly, and get them moderated up quickly -- minutes count!

I've tried several times & several ways to get pro-FSP comments moderated up to where thousands of people will see them.
After several moderately successful attempts I have come up with what I believe is a highly effective solution.

Here's how it works:

• I have set up a "secret" Yahoo group. It's by invite only: to join the group, contact me (PM or email).
  • When you join the Yahoo group, pick "immediate message notification" (ie, do not get messages bunched up "digest")
  • Any time you have "moderator points" on Slashdot, post a message to the Yahoo group, saying you have them.
  • Any time you post a pro-FSP comment on slashdot, post a message to the Yahoo group, along with a link to your comment.
  • If you have moderator points that day, use them on people's pro-FSP comments.
  • If you don't have moderator points that day, post follow-up comments to the pro-FSP comments. Active, engaging discussion is very important!

I expect there would not be more than 5-6 emails per day as a result of the above. That should be quite manageable.
If a dozen or so of us do this, we should be able to get a pro-FSP comment moderated up to +4 or +5, within minutes of its posting, every day or two.
That would in itself generate more high-quality FSP interest than tens of thousands of dollars worth of advertising.

Let's Slashdot for Freedom!

d_goddard

Here's how slashdot works in a nutshell, with links to the FAQ:

• People submit articles
  • If the editors accept the article, it moves onto the front page, where people can post comments
  • Anyone can post a comment, but your comment will be from "Anonymous Coward" unless you login with a (free and easy) account
  • Comments get a moderation score ranging from -1 (Offtopic) to +5 (Insightful, Interesting)
  • People are selected more or less at random to be Moderators.
    If you are selected as a moderator, you'll see a message like "You are a Moderator with 5 moderation points. Use 'em or lose 'em!"
    You then have 24 hours in which to moderate up to 5 comments.
    Please use this opportunity to moderate UP ("Insightful","Informative","Interesting") peoples' pro-FSP comment postings.
  • You can't post a comment to a story you have moderated, or vice-versa. Post a comment, or moderate, but not both.
    That's why it's useful to let other people know when you have moderator points, and when you've posted a pro-FSP comment.
  • When posting a comment, make sure it follows the guidelines
  • It's a good idea to post follow-up comments to other people's pro-FSP comments. Answer any questions people have, point them to this or other pro-FSP forums, and generally keep the converstaion going!

aries

I drop a lot of FSP posts at Slashdot, I'm pretty eloquent when I post there and I cater to the opinions of readers (IE - government is bad, pracy is not theft, and linux is better than everything - though I don't really hold 2 of those opinions).

I have good karma and tend to get modded up easily, especially since I have a decent network of friends.

If you want to shoot me an invite, matt at kafene.org (email that), I'll sign up.

KBCraig

Quote from: d_goddard on May 30, 2006, 07:26 PM NHFT
Here's how slashdot works in a nutshell, with links to the FAQ:

• You can't post a comment to a story you have moderated, or vice-versa. Post a comment, or moderate, but not both.

That system has been a total disaster at packing.org, but the big difference is that at PDO, everyone can rate every post (unless they comment). No mod points required, just a willingness to engage in drive-by zero banditry.

The relatively random nature of mod points at slashdot might be better.

Kevin

Russell Kanning

Quote from: aries on May 30, 2006, 10:49 PM NHFT
I cater to the opinions of readers (IE - government is bad

It would also work to say IE - IE is bad.

KBCraig

jgmaynard

Slashdot is pretty amazing - I got 400 visitors to my Light of Alexandria site the DAY I posted about what was then my new book on Slashdot. It still remains my busiest day on that site.

JM

d_goddard

We now have 8 people on board. I figure 4-5 more would be the minimum for us to achieve a potent "critical mass".

Though we're not yet at critical mass, we have tested the basic system, and it's worked.
Here's the discussion thread. (note that these comments only made it to +2; heavy readership does not ensue until +3 or +4)

To give you an idea of how fertile the slashdot ground is, here are some of today's active headlines:

We can comment on any of these.
Those comments can include links to FSP content and/or the NHFree.com forums!
With "critical mass", we can be assured that our comments will be moderated up, so that thousands of libertarian-leaning people will read our comments... and even engage us in public discussion.

tracysaboe

Bump.

I've got my handsfull with Digg. But this needs to be up for people to see.

Repost by Dan from Digg Thread.
~~~~~~~
There is a HUGE discussion right now on /. about LEO abuse regarding cameras.

So large, in fact, /. editors opened a new topic with a long list of choice quotes, many stray from just cameras.

Now the real news: I have three mod points remaining.  Someone else needs to post Russel's story ASAP and give me the post ID#.

If I comment, I can't moderate.  I littered the previous story with Anonymous Coward postings.

Dan
~~~~~~
TRacy

tracysaboe

OK Dan. I just created an account for Slashdot so I could post this for you.

How do I post an article? this is a bit more confusing then Digg.

I'll keep looking around.

BTW D. Now that I'm a member of Slashdot, I might as well join your group.

TRacy

Update: I submitted the Story about Russel. Need to wait for the editors to post it I guess. TS

tracysaboe

How do I know if they've decided to post it or not?

TRacy

Minsk

On that note, the http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/01/2352220 story looks like a good place for someone with more karma than I have to drop a few Russell-related comments. It's not just the UK that has problems with pointless arrests...

tracysaboe

My submition ws rejected :(

Perhaps somebody else can have better luck.

Tracy

d_goddard

Quote from: Minsk on August 01, 2006, 10:45 PM NHFT
... story looks like a good place for someone with more karma than I have to drop a few Russell-related comments.

Rather than posting requests for comment or up-moderation to this Forum, you might want to join the FSP-Slashdot group instead. It's specifically designed for eactly that conspiratorial usage   :icon_pirat:

If you're not on the group yet, send me your email, and I'll send you the invite

-Denis