• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

6th Grade Science and Seat Belts

Started by GT, February 23, 2005, 09:59 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

GT

My son is studying Newtons law in the 6th grade. His science teacher has used this as an oppurtunity to promote the proposed NH Seat belt law. He's told them how the NH Police Chief Association supports the law, NH is the only state that doesn't have a law....blah...blah...blah. For the next three days they are going to research seat belts and have to design a poster that states why everyone should wear a seat belt.

I think wearing a seat blet is a good idea. I don't think the goverment should be telling people what the should or should not do.

Erethizon

He could make a poster depicting a terrified motorist with a gun to his head. With the caption: "Wear your seatbelt, or else."

nooneimportant

Nice idea!

Just another reason I DROPPED OUT OF SCHOOL!

JP

Russell Kanning

Maybe he could research people that have had their collar bone broken by a seatbelt....or better yet have demonstrations of how seatbelts don't fit well on women sometimes ;)

GT

Quote from: russellkanning on February 24, 2005, 05:46 AM NHFT
Maybe he could research people that have had their collar bone broken by a seatbelt....or better yet have demonstrations of how seatbelts don't fit well on women sometimes ;)

Any idea where you can find theses types of stats? I read a while back that the use of seat belts is higher in NH than it is in MA where the have a law. Seat belts today, helmets tommorrow, what's next?

BlueLu

Or how many people drown when their car goes in the water, who might have gotten out had they NOT worn a seatbelt.  I have not researched the statistics, but I had a relative who went into a lake, swam out the car window and never wore a seatbelt again.

Lloyd Danforth

I don't know Russell, I have seen woman and seatbelt combinations that have done wonders for me!

But, seriously, I think that taking the 'seatbelts are dangerous' tack is absurd. Seatbelts, obviously stop hundreds of times more deaths and injuries than they cause.

It is being given no choice, but, to wear them, or, be stopped, or, fined, is what we should go after.
Lloyd

Russell Kanning

Quote from: GDouglas on February 24, 2005, 06:58 AM NHFT

Any idea where you can find theses types of stats? I read a while back that the use of seat belts is higher in NH than it is in MA where the have a law. Seat belts today, helmets tommorrow, what's next?
Remember airbags...at one time the perfect solution....then we found possible problems

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on February 24, 2005, 01:19 PM NHFT
I don't know Russell, I have seen woman and seatbelt combinations that have done wonders for me!

But, seriously, I think that taking the 'seatbelts are dangerous' tack is absurd. Seatbelts, obviously stop hundreds of times more deaths and injuries than they cause.

It is being given no choice, but, to wear them, or, be stopped, or, fined, is what we should go after.
Lloyd
I was talking about experiments to prove or not prove that they are safe....but it is so complicated...do people drive differently?...do they fit everyone?...what type of accidents do you study?

...I agree that as for laws ...it is about choice :)

Lloyd Danforth