• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Should we add new area-based discussion forums?

Started by FTL_Ian, August 06, 2006, 10:15 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

9thmoon

Which region is Manchester/Derry in?

I would say fewer categories/larger regions are better to start.  Opening new child boards with too much detail runs the risk of having people get bored because there's almost no traffic.  This forum already has a lot of sections to read through. 

Friday

Biting back multiple irritated responses re: "well, nothing happens outside of Keene"....  ::)

Ian, I think it's a good idea.  Thank you for suggesting it (again, since Kat had previously offered).  Ian and Kat, I hereby request a Merrimack Valley region subsection.  Thanks!

kaarat

I like this idea.  I think people would respond well to knowing who is located in and what is going on in regions close to their homes.  Especially new people, like me.

FTL_Ian

Okay, it is done.  If you'd like a child board for your area, let me know.

cathleeninnh

Damn, this is getting to be a nuisance. I can hardly keep up with it now. Now, I will miss more as I can't read everything anymore.

Cathleen

I will assume that any posters there do not expect any outside participation.

Friday

Quote from: cathleeninnh on August 07, 2006, 08:32 AM NHFT
Damn, this is getting to be a nuisance. I can hardly keep up with it now. Now, I will miss more as I can't read everything anymore.

Cathleen

I will assume that any posters there do not expect any outside participation.

That's a little weird, Cathleen.  If you don't have time to read subboards, don't.  But how does that correlate with assuming that people who do post there don't want any outside participation?

cathleeninnh

Makes sense to me. If I wanted all to participate in a discussion, I sure wouldn't put it in a local forum.

I don't mind specific forums (that can't be correct).  It is the ideal way to get the focus necessary for a productive debate or plan. By design it DISCOURAGES off topic contribution.

To get specific. If a lakes region board is where lakes region people plan lakes region activism and region specific issues, I will drift away as I don't live in the lakes region. I may have interest but it would certainly come after issues more related to me are considered. We all must eat. (well, most of us) Only natural. If and when lakes region people may desire my help or input, then announcing something there is unlikely to get my attention in a timely manner.

Cathleen

FTL_Ian

Which is why things relating NH in general can be posted in the original NH News forum, or whereever else.   8)

cathleeninnh

Exactly where you would expect it to get the widest audience.

Cathleen

FTL_Ian

For those looking to coordinate and communicate locally, the subforums will be perfect, and reduce clutter in the general area.  Plus, as NHFree.com continues to grow, we'll be ready for the increased usage.   ;D

PowerPenguin

Quote from: FTL_Ian on August 06, 2006, 10:15 AM NHFT
I had an idea for some new subforums here.  Considering that Yahoo groups are pretty lame, I was thinking we should have area based forums like:

Finally!! Someone agrees with me on this topic for once! Go Ian! I don't get why everyone is obsessed with it; I find it absolutely horrible. This is why I'm the only person (that I know of at least based on the FSP site) that uses Mailman for my Local Group mailings rather than crappy Yahoo Groups. When I began, some people were testy about this, but fortunately they got over it, and none of the 150+ subscribers seem to care.

KBCraig

Quote from: FTL_Ian on August 07, 2006, 03:35 PM NHFT
Which is why things relating NH in general can be posted in the original NH News forum, or whereever else.   8)

If you're referring to the former "NH News" forum, "NH News of Interest to Liberty Lovers", it's no longer there.

http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?board=3.0

It's nothing but child boards now. There is no longer an overall category for NH news. It seems the administrative changes got carried away.

Kevin

FTL_Ian

It's still there.  If it's too confusing to scroll down to see the messages, I can split them off.  Should I?

FTL_Ian

Okay, I did.  The NH News forum has been restored to its former glory.  The Regional Discussion forums are below the old forums in their own dedicated area.