• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Should we add new area-based discussion forums?

Started by FTL_Ian, August 06, 2006, 10:15 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Reading is easy.. I never look in the forum boards...
I just click that 'show unread posts since last visit'  Easy (sometimes it is easy... but not if you have been away for a week)

KBCraig

Quote from: Dreepa on August 08, 2006, 07:02 PM NHFT
Reading is easy.. I never look in the forum boards...
I just click that 'show unread posts since last visit'  Easy (sometimes it is easy... but not if you have been away for a week)

'Zackly.

And using a tabbed browser makes it a piece of cake.

Kevin

FTL_Ian

Quote from: freedominnh on August 09, 2006, 08:01 AM NHFT
Be aware that "Merrimack Valley" is a well known MA region North of the Merrimack River.   You are describing Hillsborough County, Merrimack County and a small part of Rockingham County.  I think this region needs to be better defined.  Right now it feels like folk from the Commonwealth below us might get confused. 

This is what it is called though.  Why would someone from MA think we were referring to MA on an NH-centric forum?

FTL_Ian

Quote from: freedominnh on August 09, 2006, 10:40 AM NHFT
Someone from NH might. And it isn't what it is called. I just have never brought it up before.

According to:
http://www.nhlinks.com/cr.htm

It is called Merrimack Valley.  What is the correct name?

toowm

Quote from: freedominnh on August 09, 2006, 08:01 AM NHFT
Right now it feels like folk from the Commonwealth below us might get confused. 

If Mass*oles think they are in the Free State, they really are confused! ;) ;D

FTL_Ian

Sorry, but Southern NH includes several regions.  The Merrimack Valley porcupines haven't had any problems with people being confused, to my knowledge.

FTL_Ian

Again, there are seven distinct regions of NH, according to the above link.  I have combined two regions into "Northern NH" simply because of low population.

Southern NH would include at least three separate well populated regions, so best that we leave them separate.

Also, a quick google search of "merrimack valley" nh reveals several sources.

FTL_Ian

Plus, if Merrimack Valley is confusing to them, they must be really confused by the two states having towns by the same name.

toowm

There are a lot of towns in NH & Mass with the same name, like Concord and Salem. I started to compare them, and stopped after the Cs:

Amherst
Andover
Ashland
Auburn
Bedford
Berlin
Bridgewater
Brookfield
Brookline
Charlestown
Chartham
Chester
Chesterfield
Concord
Conway

Kat Kanning

No other Keene's nearby, but there is one in Texas!

KBCraig

Dreepa

I don't think of myself in 'Merrimack Valley'.  I live just outside of Concord.

Pat McCotter

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Dreepa on August 10, 2006, 10:08 AM NHFT
I don't think of myself in 'Merrimack Valley'.  I live just outside of Concord.

Are you between that big river and the nearest mountain?

Kat Kanning

Maybe there could be a debate at the merrimack valley porcs meeting about what exactly constitutes the merrmack valley....you could have the pro-concord side and anti-concord.