• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

hooray for the north country!

Started by Jared, August 06, 2006, 11:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

aries

Yesss I live here

Coos county is the best county in NH

Pat McCotter

Quote from: aries on August 07, 2006, 07:19 AM NHFT
Yesss I live here

You live there and you don't even know how to spell it. Let a newcomer to the state tell you how.

Co?s County.
;D

aries

Quote from: Pat McCotter on August 08, 2006, 05:49 PM NHFT
Quote from: aries on August 07, 2006, 07:19 AM NHFT
Yesss I live here

You live there and you don't even know how to spell it. Let a newcomer to the state tell you how.

Co?s County.
;D

You're a newcomer and you don't know what tricks I have up my sleeve.

"Coos County (pronounced "k?'-?s" with two syllables) is a county in the U.S. state of New Hampshire, including the whole of the state's northern panhandle. The two-syllable pronunciation is sometimes made visible using diaeresis, notably in the Lancaster-based weekly newspaper The Co?s County Democrat and on some county-owned vehicles."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coos_County,_New_Hampshire

The "?" is by no means necessary.

aries

And then of course there's this building in Stratford Hollow:

(it says Cohos Historic Society)

Pat McCotter

Well, I guess we Free Staters have some changes to make in the North Country, eh? ;D

burnthebeautiful

I had no idea it wasn't pronounced coos, good thing I never said it when I was there.
So is it coh-ohs? coo-ohs? I don't understand those weird symbols used in the wikipedia explanation.

Also, Swedish is the language that uses the letter ?, (danish has the same letter, but they write it ?), was co?s county named by a Swede?

Pat McCotter

I think the ? is just to show that it is promounced as a separate syllable.

Pronunciation is Co-ahss.

aries

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on August 12, 2006, 02:36 PM NHFT
I had no idea it wasn't pronounced coos, good thing I never said it when I was there.
So is it coh-ohs? coo-ohs? I don't understand those weird symbols used in the wikipedia explanation.

Also, Swedish is the language that uses the letter ?, (danish has the same letter, but they write it ?), was co?s county named by a Swede?

Co (as in Co-op) and OSS as in "ass" with a british accent

And it was named Coos by Americans (or colonists), who took it from the Indians, the word Cohos means pinecone. The umlaut was added later and is optional