• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What are the downsides to secession?

Started by Dave Ridley, February 17, 2006, 06:46 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Roycerson

Quote from: russellkanning on July 09, 2006, 02:52 PM NHFT
Quote from: Roycerson on July 09, 2006, 10:17 AM NHFT

The Utah War is an inspiring story indeed but there were some conditions existing back then that are much changed now.

I wasn't posting the story for inspiration. It was for info about things I personally want to avoid. To me this was another story that shows how resisting evil by force doesn't work very well.

Oh well, The Utah War was an unequivical success for the Mormons.  They kicked ass and took names.  I can see it might be construed as a failure if you believed their goal was to get rid of all feds in Utah.  It wasn't like that.  They had one judge with an agenda going out of his way to make trouble and they sent him packing.  And his little Army too....

citizen_142002

Secession would lead to federal invasion. I believe that natonalism is strong enough in most of the US, that most people would support crushing even a peaceful independence effort. Civil disobedience doesn't work if most people want to see you rot in prison or hang, and they would.
NH would not likely be able to stand alone against embargo or invasion. Independence is a long way off, and remeber that we would need popular support for it anyway, so let's try to change some minds and then think about independence, or maybe it won't be necessary at all.

Russell Kanning

Cuba is under a US embargo .... and they eat .... and have old cars. :)

Russell Kanning

How bout we change some minds with civil disobedience?