• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Fiber + Transit Expense Prices

Started by CrucialServers, August 15, 2006, 10:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CrucialServers

Hello,

I just stumbled upon this forum from looking at the FSP newsletter, very nice forum and very knowledgable users here.

I just wanted to get something off my chest in regards to the Bandwidth "IE: Transit" (In Lamest terms  -high speed connectivity-) in New Hampshire.

It seems as all the bandwidth comes from Boston's POP access points and by the time it reaches Southern New Hampshire or even Manchester its in the $100 per Mbps range.

The reasons behind this:
1. No Major Tier1 carriers in New Hampshire
2. Transit is expensive to carry fiber to New Hampshire
3. The demand and proximity to Boston is too close

Couple Questions for the people who understand me

1. When will NH (What Year) do you expect to see pricing structures like the boston market under $50 per Mbps vs. $100 per Mbps currently in New Hampshire

2. NH have major providers POPS?  (Point of Presence)

Thank You!

FTL_Ian

Welcome to the forum.

I wish I had answers for you.  All I know is I want more bandwidth, and hope Verizon gets fiber to Keene sooner rather than later.   8)

CrucialServers

www.nhfios.com/apt/

Is some pictures I took of Verizon installing FIOS at my home office! lol

but yet nothing is turned up yet!

aries

Are you only talking about fiber here?

Because I live 150+ miles north of Boston and I get 4mbps with Time Warner. They just recently bought adelphia and I was worried the speed would go down to the usual 2mbps... Adelphia started at 3 and bumped it to 4, but so far I can get speeds over 4 in burst, and just below on really fast servers.

Now as far as fiber, specifically fios, that won't be an option in my area for many years to come, if it ever is. Look, 20 miles away in Vermont, not one home in Essex county has high speed internet available to them except by satellite, and many homes don't have access to power lines. So at least it's better off than that.

Remember though it's a new technology.

CrucialServers

I'm speaking generally for Data Centers and Business that Host Servers like myself. The only transit available to us is over leased fiber from Boston to Manchester. And the very few people that are to me considered a provider with fiber in NH.

Level3 (Dark Fiber) Not Lit
GNAPS (has a huge lawsuit with verizon)
NEON (Runs Fiber)
AT&T (Not alot of High speed options)
Verizon (Not home server, I'm speaking of HIGH connections)
Comcast (11Mbps down, 1/4Mbps up is $54)

Bandwidth providers main concern is upload bandwidth not the download bandwidth. Hence comcast's offerings and Verzion Fios rates.

I guess to sum it all up   T3, OC3, OC12 +     45Mbps +

Home Service is good, does timewarner provider you with good rates or do you get raped like the rest of us?

toowm

One current problem is that Verizon intends to pull out of NH, VT and ME. This is a several $billion market, that will shake up all data services in the region. No one is going to risk new infrastructure until they know how this will shake out.

I use Adelphia cable -- just ran a bandwith test and I'm at 1920 kbps.

CrucialServers

Verizon has deployed their FIOS, they cant pull out of NH.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: CrucialServers on August 16, 2006, 11:12 AM NHFT
Verizon has deployed their FIOS, they cant pull out of NH.

VZ better not pull out of NH.  I need my ISDN and DSL!

CrucialServers

Has nothing to do with Verizon FIOS!   POTS is copper and yes they run on the same polls. However I have a friend of mine turn up new service last week and verizon is continuing to wire fios!

toowm

They are running FIOS in the 7 communities that already are set up: Derry, Bedford, Londonderry, Salem, Plaistow, Newton, and Danville

They are *not* continuing plans for other towns, including mine.

CrucialServers

aries

Quote from: toowm on August 16, 2006, 10:55 AM NHFT
I use Adelphia cable
Not anymore you don't :)

You probably have TimeWarner now too, they got bought.

And the price... I have no idea as I dont pay it

aries

Quote from: toowm on August 16, 2006, 01:19 PM NHFT
They are running FIOS in the 7 communities that already are set up: Derry, Bedford, Londonderry, Salem, Plaistow, Newton, and Danville

They are *not* continuing plans for other towns, including mine.

I swear it will take them 100+ years before there's talk of fios up here