• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keene Public Access TV

Started by citizen_142002, August 18, 2006, 03:09 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen_142002

Keene has launched a public access TV station, and while I realize that public access is taxpayer funded it seems like too much of an opportunity to pass up. I admit that I would teach a libertarianism class in a public school if I had the chance.

I know that the station is looking for just about anything to put on. What do you guys think, and what sort of programme would you recommend?

Is anyone else interested by this?

KBCraig

A TV station? Or an access channel on the cable system? They're considerably different in terms of cost!

Public access channels are usually part of the cost of doing business for cable companies. They give up a channel slot (which they're already not using), and get a government-guaranteed monopoly. Pretty sweet deal for them, pretty crappy for the customers.

Kevin

earthhaven

I don't think very many people watch channel 8, but I think it's worth putting something together. Do you think there's any chance on them showing some of the work Roger has put together?

citizen_142002

It's an access channel. How does it garuntee a monopoly? Essentially anyone can use the access channel. I understand it's administered by commitee.

I did think of Roger's stuff and they might air that if that is something Rog wants to do, earthaven.
I was thinking of trying to arrange a weekly time slot and do news events and interviews similar to stuff you would see in KFP. That kind of thing might require a good amount of filming and EDITING.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: citizen_142002 on August 18, 2006, 05:13 PM NHFT
It's an access channel. How does it garuntee a monopoly? Essentially anyone can use the access channel. I understand it's administered by commitee.

I did think of Roger's stuff and they might air that if that is something Rog wants to do, earthaven.
I was thinking of trying to arrange a weekly time slot and do news events and interviews similar to stuff you would see in KFP. That kind of thing might require a good amount of filming and EDITING.

Why not also reshow the pro-freedom public access show that they make and show on the Manchester public access?

Pat McCotter

The cable company gets to be the only cable company in the city of Keene. It's called a franchise.  ::) Giving a channel to the city keeps the city from finding a different cable compnay to get the franchise.

Hmmm... Has that ever happened anywhere?

KBCraig

It's an access channel. How does it garuntee a monopoly?

It's offered as a bone to the city, so that the cable company gets a monopoly to provide cable service.

Kevin

Tom Sawyer

Earthhaven if you or anyone wants to put the Free State Activism DVD up on public access I would be very happy with that.

My experience is that they would probably be very interested in running the shows. They usually are dying to have content.

After you wet their appetite I would be willing to help your group create your own programming. :)

tracysaboe

It's one of the requirmenets the city madates to give them it's monopoly privliges.

Tracy

FTL_Ian

I have an internal conflict over "Public TV".

One one hand, I don't want to take advantage of a service provided by coercion.  On the other, it's a great chance to offer our programming to Keene and the rest of NH.

I say go for it, and Keene Free Minds is the perfect group to head it.  I volunteer to shoot as a second unit.   :icon_pirat:

FTL_Ian

Quote from: earthhaven on August 18, 2006, 05:09 PM NHFT
I don't think very many people watch channel 8, but I think it's worth putting something together. Do you think there's any chance on them showing some of the work Roger has put together?

See, you get more viewers by:

1.  Putting something together
2.  Promoting
3.  Not quitting

PowerPenguin

Quote from: KBCraig on August 18, 2006, 04:57 PM NHFT
A TV station? Or an access channel on the cable system? They're considerably different in terms of cost!

Public access channels are usually part of the cost of doing business for cable companies. They give up a channel slot (which they're already not using), and get a government-guaranteed monopoly. Pretty sweet deal for them, pretty crappy for the customers.

Kevin

Is this really how it works? I didn't know they were that good at wheeling and dealing! :D

KBCraig

Quote from: powerpenguin on August 19, 2006, 01:27 AM NHFT
Is this really how it works? I didn't know they were that good at wheeling and dealing! :D

There's really no wheeling and dealing. By the time cable TV came along, municipalities already had decades of experience at franchising utilities (phone company, electricity, gas, water, sewer, trash). By the time cable was born (c.1978-'81), it was established practice that only one provider would be allowed to service the community.

Then, in the late 1980s to early '90s, technology evolved to allow competitors to also provide cable service. It was decision time for local governments: allow competitors, or stick with the franchise monopoly. The incumbent franchise could offer something conrete: free local access channels, to be used by the local government, local schools, local charitable groups, etc., etc., all of which would cheer the incumbent politicians for "giving them"  ::)  time on the local access channel.

This lesson in history brought to you by a former broadcast journalism major. Eight bits and a BA-Jour will get you a cup of coffee, if you're not picky about the coffee.

Kevin

Kat Kanning

They called me a while back and asked me to do a regular show with FSP stuff.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Roger Grant on August 18, 2006, 08:12 PM NHFT
Earthhaven if you or anyone wants to put the Free State Activism DVD up on public access I would be very happy with that.

My experience is that they would probably be very interested in running the shows. They usually are dying to have content.

After you wet their appetite I would be willing to help your group create your own programming. :)

We can call that Park guy every time his segment comes up and let him know its on ;D