• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

SAY NO TO NATIONAL I.D. CARDS!

Started by nooneimportant, February 26, 2005, 12:14 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

That would be the best way to get the discussion focused on "Your Papers Please!" instead of mundane ID card talk. :D

LiveFreeOrDie

Quote from: russellkanning on May 10, 2005, 09:51 AM NHFT
That's a good one.....it would be funny to hand them one of those or point to the concentration camp tatoo on the forearm. 8)

I have that actual Facist regime ID card.  I could reproduce it, in english. :D

Russell Kanning

I think I have one of those new facist regime cards around somewhere .....hmmm lets see...yea here it is.....

It says "Social Security Administration" ....not for identification purposes....necessary for employment, government benefits, banking.....

LiveFreeOrDie

Quote from: russellkanning on May 10, 2005, 02:46 PM NHFT
I think I have one of those new facist regime cards around somewhere .....hmmm lets see...yea here it is.....

It says "Social Security Administration" ....not for identification purposes....necessary for employment, government benefits, banking.....

Nah, the newer ones are the fascist version... None of that hokey, old-timey crap on there about any of that.   Just a lot of wiggle room "Improper use of this card or number by anyone is punishable by fine, imprisonment or both" blather.

I'm surprised I didn't have to surrender my "outdated" version- like yours- for a new one when they updated the regs.   :P

"This card belongs to the Social Security Administration and you must return it if we ask for it."

Lloyd Danforth

A good add against the National I D card would be titled:  "your Papers.....Pleeze",
And, someone with a number on their wrist pulling  National I D Card out of their wallet.

Russell Kanning

That wouldn't be that hard to pull off.....for someone that had resources to make a tv ad :)

YeahItsMeJP

norfolknative

This is real bad folks. I would like to say that there is no way I would take a national ID card but attaching it to a motor vehicle license makes it hard for me in particular being a bus driver. I am already sensitive about having to use my birth certificate and social security card as proof to who I am. I would like one day to send them back to where they came from. Now I do not fully understand this proposed national ID fully, but fear it would require me to use my drivers license in order to obtain a passport, and use it as proof as to who I am, and identification  when I return to America. I once was a passenger on a Greyhoung bus traveling through El Paso, TX at a designated check point the border patrol boarded and proceeded to ask the citizenship of everyone. I was offended by this and felt like I should have the right not to answer but I did so only because I did not wish to be pulled off the bus and be delayed. So I told the officer I was american just to get it over with. For some reason I always feel there is a real difference in saying I am an American versus being a citizen of the United States. Now with this new proposed law I fear in the same situation I would have to show my national ID card or face being detained and placed in custody. Can someone please tell me if my fears and thoughts are justified. Thanx

Sincerely, Chad

YeahItsMeJP

Senate approves electronic ID card bill
By Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com
Published on ZDNet News: May 10, 2005, 8:10 PM PT

From http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5702505.html

Last-minute attempts by online activists to halt an electronic ID card failed Tuesday when the U.S. Senate unanimously voted to impose a sweeping set of identification requirements on Americans.
The so-called Real ID Act now heads to President Bush, who is expected to sign the bill into law this month. Its backers, including the Bush administration, say it's needed to stop illegal immigrants from obtaining drivers' licenses.
When the act's mandates take effect in May 2008, Americans will be required to obtain federally approved ID cards with "machine readable technology" that abides by Department of Homeland Security specifications. Anyone without such an ID card will be effectively prohibited from traveling by air or Amtrak, opening a bank account, or entering federal buildings.
After the Real ID Act's sponsors glued it to an Iraq military spending bill, final passage was all but guaranteed. Yet that didn't stop a dedicated cadre of privacy activists from trying to raise the alarm in the last few days.
UnRealID.com, which calls the legislation a "National ID card," reports that more than 10,800 people filled out its online petition to senators.
The Electronic Frontier Foundation hastily created a "Stop The Real ID Act!" campaign last week, and the ACLU denounced the bill as creating "a system ripe for identity theft." Security guru Bruce Schneier offered his own negative critique.
If the Real ID Act had been a stand-alone piece of legislation--instead of being embedded in an unrelated military spending bill--its passage in the Senate might have been less certain.
The House approved it in February by a relatively narrow vote of 261-161, and some senators had condemned it. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., warned last month that the Real ID Act creates "de facto national ID cards" and the National Immigration Law Center said it will make it harder even for legal immigrants and citizens to get driver's licenses.
Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner, a Wisconsin Republican and Real ID Act sponsor, applauded the Senate vote on Tuesday. "The Real ID is vital to preventing foreign terrorists from hiding in plain sight while conducting their operations and planning attacks," Sensenbrenner said. "By targeting terrorist travel, the Real ID will assist in our War on Terror efforts to disrupt terrorist operations and help secure our borders."

Kat Kanning

Next step to have NH refuse to comply.

Russell Kanning

Maybe another big event can be trying to enter a federal building or flying somewhere without their ID 8)

Kat Kanning

Russell Kanning

Yea we could contact him for ideas. He has been thinking about this for a long time and has some money for ads if we wanted to add that to the mix (Lloyd's prison camp tattoo idea). If he had a good idea for how to protest it and we supplied the people who are willing to get arrested over it (me and anyone else)...them maybe we could make something exciting happen.

Maybe I should try to fly out and visit him with no ID.

hmmm.....how do you get TV cameras close to the security checkpoint to watch them arrest me.

AlanM

The Real ID doesn't take effect until 2008, so there is time to mount a lot of pressure. Definitely push for a bill to repudiate it in the next session of the legislature.  >:D

Russell Kanning

So it doesn't save us from terrorists until 2008? :o