• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

KFP Censorship?

Started by FTL_Ian, August 20, 2006, 07:05 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

In Steve Lindsey's letter, did he originally write "f---"?

Kat Kanning

FTL_Ian

Not that I'm one to pepper articles with profanity, but what exactly is the editorial policy on this?

Russell Kanning

I have no interest in having profanity in our paper.

Kat Kanning

Editorial policy = my whim.   ::)

d_goddard

Quote from: Kat Kanning on August 20, 2006, 07:38 PM NHFT
Editorial policy = my whim.   ::)
As it should be, dammit! :)

Besides, this isn't censorship, Ian -- it's just Bowdlerization

Pat K

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 20, 2006, 07:36 PM NHFT
I have no interest in having profanity in our paper.

Well their goes any chance for me.

Kat Kanning

PatK:  Profane, but really really funny  ;D

citizen_142002

May I request that you indicate removal of a profane word by leaving in ---- as it shows that a modification has been made to the original text of the article.

AmerTownCrier

that's a good suggestion. that's what i did with my *#(@$ magazine

Braddogg

Quote from: citizen_142002 on August 22, 2006, 08:51 PM NHFT
May I request that you indicate removal of a profane word by leaving in ---- as it shows that a modification has been made to the original text of the article.

I prefer inserting (expletive).  At my college paper, we decided to run a letter with profanity, and a huge fight broke out over whether to use (expletive) or f*******.  The stars won, unfortunately.

Dreepa

citizen_142002

Well f#@% indicates what was said without blasting the reader with profanity. I think that profanity is appropriate at times in inteligent discourse and literature, so long as it serves to convey a certain emotion to the reader and isn't just profanity for profanity's sake.

Braddogg

Quote from: citizen_142002 on August 22, 2006, 10:28 PM NHFT
Well f#@% indicates what was said without blasting the reader with profanity. I think that profanity is appropriate at times in inteligent discourse and literature, so long as it serves to convey a certain emotion to the reader and isn't just profanity for profanity's sake.

f*#$@ just seems too . . . graphic for a respectable paper.  The dashes would be better, I think.  By using the symbols, it seems like you're actually blasting the profanity LOUDER than just treating it like another word.  Of course, sometimes the point is to draw attention to the profanity, but that's a very different use than using it in a conversation.