• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Liberty Forum Keynote Speaker

Started by d_goddard, August 20, 2006, 07:38 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Money Dollars

TANSTAAFS (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free State)

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: d_goddard on August 30, 2006, 11:55 AM NHFT
Quote from: Money Dollars on August 30, 2006, 09:34 AM NHFT
You are like the John Lennon of NHfree!
That's OK, as long as some crazy-ass sniper isn't obsessively reading Catcher in the Rye and listening to Beatles music. That would suck.
;D

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Money Dollars on August 30, 2006, 04:16 PM NHFT
TANSTAAFS (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free State)

Thats right!  Its a project!

Pat K

Quote from: Braddogg on August 30, 2006, 04:04 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on August 30, 2006, 03:52 PM NHFT
TANSTAAFL.

TANSTAFFL (There Ain't No Such Thing as a Free Lunch) is one of the most misused phrases around.  It originally meant that even if I go to a place offering a free lunch, it wasn't free for the person who put it on.  For example, I go to the MVP meeting and they serve me free food.  However, the MVP PAID for that food, so it was not really free in the larger sense of it.

You used it to imply that to get something you must necessarily give something, which isn't true.  In the above example, I didn't have to do or give anything to the MVP except show up and eat their food.  Stossell COULD have done this for free. 

Yes he could, I could work for free too, I don't. If you don't like TANSTAAFL how about you don't get something for nothing.

FTL_Ian

Sure, he could have done it for free, but then everyone will want him to do something for free.  The man is likely very busy, and his time is very valuable.

Lloyd Danforth

But, sometimes you do get something for nothing!   Or, do I owe you some money for beer? ;D

Stossel  has some libertarian leanings, but, is not an activist, or, FSP member and should charge his regular rate.
                                                              _____________________________________________________

Being able to tout, in your recruiment efforts, that you had John Stossel as a speaker :  $10.000

John Stossel  doing a piece on the FSP and (getting it aired):  Priceless!

FTL_Ian

No promises about getting anything aired, so don't get too excited.  Though, you never know...

d_goddard

Quote from: Pat K on August 30, 2006, 04:39 PM NHFT
you don't get something for nothing.
Gotta plug one of my favorite songs from Rush!

Something for Nothing (listen)
Quote from: Neal PeartYou don't get something for nothing
You don't get freedom for free
You won't get wise
With the sleep still in your eyes
No matter what your dreams might be

What you own is your own kingdom
What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power
What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer
Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor
And the beat of your own song

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: FTL_Ian on August 30, 2006, 04:52 PM NHFT
No promises about getting anything aired, so don't get too excited.  Though, you never know...

I don't think there is even an implication that he plans to do a piece about us.  I'm just fantasizing ;D

Pat K

KBCraig

Quote from: Kat Kanning on August 30, 2006, 07:48 AM NHFT
I find it appauling that with all the useful things the FSP could do with people's donations

I'm curious... what do you believe would be a more effective expenditure for spreading the word, building excitement and making the FSP look more legitimate?

Caleb

Well, $10,000 could rent out the Boy Scout Camp for porcfest for the next five years.

Caleb

JonM

I'll repeat, his fee is a lot higher than $10,000.  His normal off the shelf fee is $35,000, but he's giving us a discount.  Jesse The Governor Ventura wanted $50,000.

FTL_Ian

I'm guessing $30,000.  That's 300 tickets at $100 each.  That's pretty steep!

Is the board expecting to make its money back on this investment?  (I'm not saying it was a bad investment.)

Braddogg

Quote from: Pat K on August 30, 2006, 04:39 PM NHFT
Quote from: Braddogg on August 30, 2006, 04:04 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on August 30, 2006, 03:52 PM NHFT
TANSTAAFL.

TANSTAFFL (There Ain't No Such Thing as a Free Lunch) is one of the most misused phrases around.  It originally meant that even if I go to a place offering a free lunch, it wasn't free for the person who put it on.  For example, I go to the MVP meeting and they serve me free food.  However, the MVP PAID for that food, so it was not really free in the larger sense of it.

You used it to imply that to get something you must necessarily give something, which isn't true.  In the above example, I didn't have to do or give anything to the MVP except show up and eat their food.  Stossell COULD have done this for free. 
Yes he could, I could work for free too, I don't. If you don't like TANSTAAFL how about you don't get something for nothing.

That's just a restatement of TANSTAAFL.  It's a good principle, when properly applied.  And I didn't mean to say that he SHOULD have used his voice on us for an hour for free, just that he had that option and didn't take it, therefore making it a poor example of the TANSTAAFL principle.