• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Survive!

Started by firsty, August 22, 2006, 09:35 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

maineiac

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 22, 2006, 04:10 PM NHFT
Quote from: firsty on August 22, 2006, 04:01 PM NHFT
lex, if you're unfamiliar with the original book, it's not likely that you'll see right away the kind of information we're looking for. if you are familiar with the original (or would like to acquaint yourself with it), please feel free to visit the site - the book itself is available for download. we'd love to have you add ideas.

Somehow I doubt the book is so great that it cannot be explained in a few paragraphs. I did look at your wiki and clicked on the description of the book:

QuoteThe book Steal This Book was written by Abbie Hoffman in 1970. It includes advice on such topics as growing marijuana, how to start a pirate radio station, live in a commune, steal food, steal credit cards, prepare a legal defense, make pipe bombs, and obtain a free buffalo from the US Department of the Interior.

I don't do drugs.
I don't really want to start a radio station.
A commune?!?
Steal food? Not very self-sufficient. Maybe grow your own food, does the book have a lot of that?
Steal credit cards?!?! How about get an honest job? Is that in there?
Prepare a legal defense sounds useful but something tells me Abbie is not a lawyer or an expert on the subject...
Make pipe bombs... while it may be useful in extreme circumstances there are much better books on the subject of weaponry.
What would I do with a buffalo?

Dude,

If you're not at least 35, I feel sorry for you!

Dreepa

What would I do with a buffalo?

When you find out what you want to do with a buffalo let me know.
There are some about a mile from my house. ;)

citizen_142002

I suppose that you could eat a Buffalo, but in a survival situation it would suck to have to kill a massive animal. You have too keep the meat or eat it all at once. Small animals are the way to go. Rabbits or Chickens can be killed one at a time, in the chicken's case one doesn't even have to kill the animal to get food, plus small animals grow more efficiently, i.e. better feed to weight ratios.

firsty

we have to find a good updated replacement for the free buffalo.

wikipedia has good articles on both hoffman and "steal this book".

if you're a libertarian or revolutionary or enemy of the state, for real, you shouldnt be hearing about abbie hoffman from me. you should learn some history and then come and write.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 22, 2006, 03:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: firsty on August 22, 2006, 03:47 PM NHFT
QuoteHell ride public transportation and there are dozens of couples.  Just yesterday I read a copy of the Boston Globe that someone left behind.

see, that would be the perfect kind of content to add.

8)

I'm not convinced that riding public transportation is such great advice...

Yeah, you should just run into the bus, grab the paper, and get the Hell out!

Lloyd Danforth

I bought the book, used, I think.  I have no memory of it.  Someone stole it from me.

Money Dollars

I don't do drugs.
Cannabis is a plant, not a drug.
Do you take medicine?

http://www.maps.org/mmj/grinspoon_history_cannabis_medicine.pdf#search=%22cannabis%20medicine%20history%22
Today, herbal marihuana is most commonly, but certainly not exclusively, used in the treatment
of:
The Severe Nausea and Vomiting of Cancer Chemotherapy
Glaucoma
Epilepsy
Multiple Sclerosis
The Spasm and Pain of Paraplegia and Quadriplegia
AIDS
Chronic Pain
Migraine
Rheumatic Diseases  (Osteoarthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis)
Premenstrual Syndrome, Menstrual Cramps, and Labor Pains
Ulcerative Colitis
Crohn's Disease
Phantom Limb Pain
Depression
Hyperemesis Gravidarum

Make pipe bombs... while it may be useful in extreme circumstances there are much better books on the subject of weaponry.

Check out TM 31-210 Improvised Munitions Handbook:
http://www.fortliberty.org/military-library/improvised-munitions-handbook/improvised-munitions-handbook.shtml
It's the U.S. gov. produced terrorist training manual. Many books out there jack stuff from this manual.
This is the first item I will have for sale at the Money Dollars gift shop. I'll sell you a hard copy for $15.......$10 if I like don't hate you ;)

Lex

Quote from: Money Dollars on August 23, 2006, 02:29 PM NHFT
Do you take medicine?

I don't take any medication or vitamins or anything else other than yummy food ;D

Quote from: Money Dollars on August 23, 2006, 02:29 PM NHFT
This is the first item I will have for sale at the Money Dollars gift shop. I'll sell you a hard copy for $15.......$10 if I like don't hate you ;)

I'll take a copy. Where do I buy it?

fourthgeek

If one is in a revolutionary or survival situation, the personal morality "oh it's not nice to steal" falls to the wayside as goals larger than minor moral quagmires surface.

Those who would do evil will certainly use whatever tactics they have available, remember that.

d_goddard

Firsty, I'm sorry all these youngn's have no idea about Steal This Book.
I thought it was brilliant. Sure, Hoffmann was a hippie, but he also was fun and interesting.

For those who haven't read it, I'd just say that "Steal this book" is kind of like "Steal my copy of Linux -- please!"

mraaron

If you want to read a strange book from the hippie days, read "Every Secret Thing" by Patricia Campbell Hearst aka Patty Hearst.  Even if you question her cooperation with the SLA, this book provides a glimpse of what its like to always look over your shoulder.  In a full scale martial law situation, this book shows you what NOT to do.  The group leader drinks too much booze, becomes complacent, and they make small mistakes which eventually leads the police to them,and the police incinerate most of them alive.   

Anybody here ever see a movie called "The Anarchists Cookbook"?   Its a really weird movie.

KBCraig

Quote from: mraaron on August 23, 2006, 11:17 PM NHFT
    Anybody here ever see a movie called "The Anarchists Cookbook"?   Its a really weird movie.

From the IMDB entry, it looks like what the media usually calls "anarchists": a bunch of slacker yobs throwing trashcans and burning cars at the G8 conference.

Kevin

Michael Fisher

Steal This Book is some of the worst communist garbage I've ever read!!!

:soapbox:

KBCraig

Quote from: Michael Fisher on August 24, 2006, 12:29 AM NHFT
Steal This Book is some of the worst communist garbage I've ever read!!!

Well, Abbie Hoffman founded the Yippies. They opposed capitalism, and laid the groundwork for today's movements that demand free education, free healthcare, free housing, "living wages", etc.

No surprise there.

Kevin

Money Dollars

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 23, 2006, 03:47 PM NHFT
I don't take any medication or vitamins or anything else other than yummy food
That food you eat is full of vitamins, and the meat you eat is full of drugs(medications).

Are you staying that you will not take any medications in the future?
Do your wife and kid go by this too?

I'll take a copy. Where do I buy it?
10 copies should be showing up today......
The Gift Shop is located in the museum.