• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Survive!

Started by firsty, August 22, 2006, 09:35 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

bailey228

Quote from: firsty on August 24, 2006, 12:01 PM NHFT
Quote from: bailey228 on August 24, 2006, 11:52 AM NHFT
Quote from: Money Dollars on August 24, 2006, 11:07 AM NHFT
Some have been. My first kid got first shots at 10 months, first 3 kids(born in hospitals w/midwives) had shots for their first 2 years.....homebirth kids = no shots..just foot prick for blood test, state mandate apparently....meds: once for one kid for ear infection, twice for 2 kids with pink eye, asprin for fevers above 100 for more than a day...CT peds were not pushy, army peds WERE pushy, Nashua nurses ARE pushy (fucking assholes).

A fever of 100 is not high at all. Medicating a fever (artifically reducing it) will cause you to be sick longer than you would have been if the fever had been allowed to run it's course. A fever kills germs, a fever is a good thing. I would only medicate if my daughter had a fever of 104 for more than a few days or had a very high fever and was unresponsive. If the fever got over 104 at all I'd concider medicating then based on how my daughter was acting. Also, asprin is not safe for anyone under 18 (I'd aruge it's safety for anyone over 18 as well) I very very rarely medicate for anything at all because I am not convinced of the safety of any drug. Tylenol is now being proven to be much more dangerous than originally thought. Many kids die each year from taking even recomended doses of Tylenol.

Oh, and no Eukreign, we don't eat any food containing antibiotics, pesticides, or hormones. I only buy natural/organic food.

aspirin is still good for people who need a blood thinner, but you're right about kids taking it, as far as i know.

for young children, 104 is an extremely high fever. you dont need to medicate, but once it looks like it's rising over 100, start in with the baths. the danger with kids with fevers is dehydration. with my boyz, they often have associated symptoms, like a sore throat or a tummy ache, which can cause problems with them drinking or keeping down fluids when they start to run a fever. use popsicles or frozen sport drinks to keep them hydrated the fun way.

my older son had a very bad reaction to children's tylenol - i dont recommend it. it's good to keep them away from medicine as much as possible, but fevers can get tricky, again because of the dehydration, etc. plan for baths during the middle fo the nite when fevers tend to spike.

Yep, recently my daughter had a fever so I just nursed like crazy, she was better the next day. I do "treat" illnesses, just not conventionally. When I was sick, instead of a decongesant, I used steam and pepermint EO, warm milk and honey for a sore throat... There are many alternatives to conventional medicine so you don't have to suffer.

Money Dollars

Quote from: bailey228 on August 24, 2006, 12:15 PM NHFT
I do "treat" illnesses, just not conventionally. When I was sick, instead of a decongesant, I used steam and pepermint EO, warm milk and honey for a sore throat...
Sounds like medicine to me.....

med?i?cine
?noun
1.   any substance or substances used in treating disease or illness; medicament; remedy.

bailey228

Quote from: Money Dollars on August 24, 2006, 12:08 PM NHFT
Quote from: bailey228 on August 24, 2006, 11:52 AM NHFT
A fever of 100 is not high at all.
Notice that I said above 100
Ok, 101 isn't high, 102 isn't either....

Also, asprin is not safe for anyone under 18
That statement just makes you look nutty.[/quote]
Really? asprin is safe for children? Did you read the label? Of course I don't mean 17years and 364 days old is not ok for asprin but 18 years old is ok, I mean it is not safe for children. It is common knowledge that you are not supposed to give aspirn to a child.

Quote(I'd aruge it's safety for anyone over 18 as well) I very very rarely medicate for anything at all because I am not convinced of the safety of any drug. Tylenol is now being proven to be much more dangerous than originally thought. Many kids die each year from taking even recomended doses of Tylenol.
QuoteDo you drive in a car?
Are you convinced of the saftey of that?
Many more poeple die from that each year than from asprin or tylenol.
What's your point? I am aware of the risks we all face in everyday life. I also choose to minimize those risks where possible. It's pretty dumb to say "well I could die walking across the street, so I'm going to play Russian roultette with my gun"

QuoteOh, and no Eukreign, we don't eat any food containing antibiotics, pesticides, or hormones.
I bet you do.
[/quote]
The certification process of organic food requires that these things are not used in the production of that food, so if I only buy organic food, then yes I can say there are no pesticides, hormones, or antibiotics contained in them.

bailey228

Quote from: Money Dollars on August 24, 2006, 12:24 PM NHFT
Quote from: bailey228 on August 24, 2006, 12:15 PM NHFT
I do "treat" illnesses, just not conventionally. When I was sick, instead of a decongesant, I used steam and pepermint EO, warm milk and honey for a sore throat...
Sounds like medicine to me.....

med?i?cine
?noun
1.   any substance or substances used in treating disease or illness; medicament; remedy.
Eukreign said
QuoteI don't do drugs
We were talking about drugs not medicine. Unless you are arguing that milk and water are drugs...

Minsk

Quote from: bailey228 on August 24, 2006, 12:28 PM NHFT
The certification process of organic food requires that these things are not used in the production of that food, so if I only buy organic food, then yes I can say there are no pesticides, hormones, or antibiotics contained in them.

Hope that's more reliable than the certification process some friends looked at. Their food was so much more organic than what could be certified that they bailed and went back to trading on reputation. That's Ontario, so mileage may vary, but I'd still trust a grower more than a hippie-safe certification mark.

<edit re="below">Pfft, just add a link to the thread ;D</edit>

firsty

i'm going to smite all of you unless you start updating my site with some of your ideas about helping our kids get thru a fever and how to get some real organic food.

freakin hijackers.

;D

Money Dollars

Really? asprin is safe for children? Did you read the label? .... It is common knowledge that you are not supposed to give aspirn to a child.
The label says not to give asprin for colds, chicken pox and flu syndromes......it's all about Reye's syndrome. It doesn't say never give it to kids.

bailey228

Quote from: Minsk on August 24, 2006, 12:36 PM NHFT

Hope that's more reliable than the certification process some friends looked at. Their food was so much more organic than what could be certified that they bailed and went back to trading on reputation. That's Ontario, so mileage may vary, but I'd still trust a grower more than a hippie-safe certification mark.

<edit re="below">Pfft, just add a link to the thread ;D</edit>
Yep, we get veggies from a local farmer, the food we buy at the co-op comes from local farmers, I always trust the farmer more than a governement label.

Lex

Quote from: firsty on August 24, 2006, 11:33 AM NHFT
making drugs illegal is unconstitutional (otherwise, they wouldnt have had to create an amendment for prohibition)

Our government must insure domestic tranquility and promote the general welfare. It cannot do this if people are taking certain drugs the government deems bad and smoking and drinking under a certain age the government deems too young. The constitution grants our government the power to insure domestic tranquility and that is what our government has done by banning certain drugs. It is explicitely encouraged by the constitution.

Anyways, would you feel better if we had a constitutional amendment that banned drugs? I'm sure it can be arranged.

unwarranted wiretapping is unconstitutional

In criminal cases maybe, but not when it comes to the "common defense". Common defnese is in the preamble and thus one of the main reasons for the existance of our government and our government has every power to provide for the common defense. This is explicitely encouraged by the constitution.

most of the patriot act is unconstitutional

The Patriot Act provides for the common defense. See my point above. If we do not allow our government to provide for the common defense than it is not much of a government.

the issues about the confiscated CDs in NH is unconstitutional

confiscated CDs? Not sure what you are referring to.

seizing cash from a car is unconstitutional

The Fourth amendment does not protect your car, this has already been decided on in courts, mainly because your car is not one of "persons, houses, papers, and effects". It would have said "buggy" or something similar, or even "property" but it does not say that, instead it gives a specific list of things that are protected. The founding fathers did not feel like your vehicle should have this protection.

Money Dollars

Quote from: bailey228 on August 24, 2006, 12:36 PM NHFT
We were talking about drugs not medicine. Unless you are arguing that milk and water are drugs...
And it all started by lex saying that marijuana is a drug. Is it according to your definition?

So, where do you get the milk you drink?

Money Dollars

Quote from: bailey228 on August 24, 2006, 12:45 PM NHFT
Yep, we get veggies from a local farmer, the food we buy at the co-op comes from local farmers, I always trust the farmer more than a governement label.
Local farmers don't grow much in the winter. What will you do then?

firsty

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 24, 2006, 12:46 PM NHFT
making drugs illegal is unconstitutional (otherwise, they wouldnt have had to create an amendment for prohibition)

Our government must insure domestic tranquility and promote the general welfare. It cannot do this if people are taking certain drugs the government deems bad and smoking and drinking under a certain age the government deems too young. The constitution grants our government the power to insure domestic tranquility and that is what our government has done by banning certain drugs. It is explicitely encouraged by the constitution.

Anyways, would you feel better if we had a constitutional amendment that banned drugs? I'm sure it can be arranged.

unwarranted wiretapping is unconstitutional

In criminal cases maybe, but not when it comes to the "common defense". Common defnese is in the preamble and thus one of the main reasons for the existance of our government and our government has every power to provide for the common defense. This is explicitely encouraged by the constitution.

most of the patriot act is unconstitutional

The Patriot Act provides for the common defense. See my point above. If we do not allow our government to provide for the common defense than it is not much of a government.

the issues about the confiscated CDs in NH is unconstitutional

confiscated CDs? Not sure what you are referring to.

seizing cash from a car is unconstitutional

The Fourth amendment does not protect your car, this has already been decided on in courts, mainly because your car is not one of "persons, houses, papers, and effects". It would have said "buggy" or something similar, or even "property" but it does not say that, instead it gives a specific list of things that are protected. The founding fathers did not feel like your vehicle should have this protection.

the use of the phrase "explictly encouraged" is confusing.

i think you have a loose interpretation of the constitution, to say the least. one man's general welfare is another man's oppression. if my use of drugs (for instance) has absolutely no effect on anyone's welfare (which it doesnt), then the govt has absolutely no right to tell me not to use the drugs. the govt only has a right to dictate how i effect the general welfare. which means society. society isnt in my living room breathing my fumes or hearing my brilliant insights.

you're obviously not a libertarian. but i wish you the best. "steal this book" isnt for everyone, to be sure.

Lex

Quote from: Money Dollars on August 24, 2006, 12:50 PM NHFT
And it all started by lex saying that marijuana is a drug. Is it according to your definition?

Okay, how about I call it "government banned foods" instead of drugs? I can see how marijuana is no different than parsley, basil, mint, etc, I was only calling it a drug because that is what most people think of when you say "drugs".

What is the difference between a drug and a food?

bailey228

Quote from: Money Dollars on August 24, 2006, 12:42 PM NHFT
Really? asprin is safe for children? Did you read the label? .... It is common knowledge that you are not supposed to give aspirn to a child.
The label says not to give asprin for colds, chicken pox and flu syndromes......it's all about Reye's syndrome. It doesn't say never give it to kids.

"Is aspirin safe for children?
Pediatricians all over the world have for almost three decades discontinued prescribing aspirin for children for pain and fever, because aspirin has been implicated in the occurrence of Reye?s syndrome in children"

Lex

Quote from: firsty on August 24, 2006, 12:53 PM NHFT
i think you have a loose interpretation of the constitution, to say the least. one man's general welfare is another man's oppression. if my use of drugs (for instance) has absolutely no effect on anyone's welfare (which it doesnt), then the govt has absolutely no right to tell me not to use the drugs. the govt only has a right to dictate how i effect the general welfare. which means society. society isnt in my living room breathing my fumes or hearing my brilliant insights.

You are part of the population thus you affect the population. The point is that the constitution created a government that is supposed to promote the general welfare which to me means general health and well being. Certain drugs the government has deemed counter productive to this goal and thus it has banned them. If you take them and the government catches you they will spank you and send you to your corner.

Quote from: firsty on August 24, 2006, 12:53 PM NHFT
you're obviously not a libertarian. but i wish you the best. "steal this book" isnt for everyone, to be sure.

I'm all the way at the far end of the rabbit hole, I was a libertarian a few years ago though.