• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keene Free Press reader feedback

Started by Russell Kanning, August 24, 2006, 04:30 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

It helps me identify the periodical at least.  I also find the gross 
distortion and bias in an article you published about Hezbollah and 
Israel to be disturbing propaganda.  It is hardly responsible 
journalism.
Mel
On Aug 24, 2006, at 10:31 AM, russellkanning@keenefreepress.com wrote:

>>
>> Is this a publication of the Libertarian "Free Staters".
>> Mel Schupack
>
> My wife and I are members of the Free State Project, but the paper 
> has no connection to that organization. Many of the people who help 
> us with the paper are not "Free Staters". Some people call my wife 
> and me "libertarians", which is mostly accurate, but we are not 
> part of the Libertarian Party. Also many "Free Staters" are not 
> libertarians. We at our paper are working towards a society were 
> noone is forced to do anything.
>
> Does that help explain things or just make it more confusing? :)
>
> Thank you,
> Russell Kanning
> Keene Free Press

Braddogg

The Paul Craig Roberts piece?  I found it no more objectionable than just about every opinion piece I've read on the issue.  I bet I know a lot more about it than Mel, and that Mel's just mad that someone is challenging HIS propaganda.  And point out that the KFP printed an LTE opposing Roberts' OPINION piece.

This does sort of open up a wider problem of perception of the paper.  It's one that I face constantly at the conservative student newspaper I run on Boston College's campus: where does the opinion begin and end?  In the past two years, I've tried very hard to introduce stylistic distinctions between the news and opinion sections (having a line on the top of the page indicating News/Opinions/Letters/Sports helps a lot).  I think many people may have the same perception problem with the KFP.  The front-page article is a good headline and straight news piece.  However, there's not another one in there.  You could rewrite the major stories giving alternative facts in a straight-news style.  Perhaps a good idea might be to take some minor stories, the ones that get one-paragraph blurbs in the Keene Sentinel or Union-Leader or Concord Monitor, etc., etc., and flush them out to a full-length news pieces by interviewing pro-liberty state reps or local citizens, doing some digging into what's really been going on.  It's always harder to get people to write straight news pieces than to write a shorter LTE or opinion piece, though, so you may not be able to get people to do this, but it is a very useful tool.

John

I'm thinking that one of my favorite things in the KFP was when it had a box which said (something like) If you want us to be more like the other papers, then just renew your subscription to the Globe, the Times . . etc.  That was fun.

My top favorite was when the KFP said something like it is published by elfs in a supersecret location far away from where the government could get them . . .  I love that!

Long live the KFP!

Russell Kanning

Yea ... maybe we will have to put that back in. I have not interest or intention of ever being like other papers. We don't write in their little newspaper style and we don't cover the same issues. We are the Keene Free Press, if you don't like the paper just put it down and stop reading. :)

Money Dollars

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 25, 2006, 09:36 AM NHFTWe are the Keene Free Press, if you don't like the paper just put it down and stop reading. :)
Not when I can burn it :fire:

John

In never use mine as a fire starter.  But only for one reason; I love to pass it around to my friends.

If I had no friends, then maybe - after reading it - I would recycle it as a fire starter.   >:D

Incrementalist

I think somebody hacked the web site.  Whenever I try to go to the URL I get a redirect to keenefreepress.com/mambo/mambo/mambo/mambo.... (keep inserting "/mambo" until the address bar fills).

Kat Kanning

Russell Kanning

Incrementalist

Kat Kanning

Caleb

KBCraig

Tom Sawyer

Gee Caleb I hope your BDS gets better... (whatever that is)