• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Free Town Project revisited

Started by maxxoccupancy, August 27, 2006, 11:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb

FTL_Ian

I was pleased to learn that Price Choppers is open 24 hours.

yamnuska

I vote Berlin or Lancaster, just because I am a climber and prefer the North. Anyone in Berlin? If we could find a village like Royston Vasey (http://www.leagueofgentlemen.co.uk/newvids1.shtml)we would be set. Local shop for local people.

maxxoccupancy

My thinking on choosing a few free towns was to give people a few different choices, but to have a handful of clearly thought out distinations available to incoming members, and for those wanting to make a move within the state.

The point of the FSP was to concentrate activists in one area.  If we're not going to do that, we could just let people choose whatever state they wanted.  I think it ironic that many of the people who refused to even discuss offering a western state as an alternative are now refusing even to discuss concentrating people here.

I'd like to help out on a number of legislative campaigns, but so many are just far away.  Keene is a two hour drive, and the Seacoast is one hour from here.

The purpose of FSP is to concentrate enough activists in one small area that we could actually make a real difference in policy.  We'll never have 20,000 activists in NH.  We probably won't hit 1,000 within the next five years at our current rate.  There are lots of benefits to concentrating activists in small, accessible areas.

I have been having a problem in general trying to communicate relatively simple ideas to some of the other freestaters.  A lot of basic concepts that are picked up immediately by the layperson require hours--or even days--for some on this list to gather.  Rather than promote the basic idea of moving and concentrating activists within driving distance of eachother, I find people angrily arguing every detail I have put forward as though this is some debate society.

That's infuriating and unproductive.  We want to attract the maximum number of movers, and deal the maximum effect of liberty.  Our purpose is to promote a liberty culture in America, and to return anti-liberty pols to private life.

--Max

Jason Rand

Hey Yamnuska, I'm a climber too.  Consider the Plymouth (45 mins north of Concord) area which is where I live.  Rumney is 10 mins away.  I keep meeting new porcupines in this area, and hearing of others considering moving to this area.

Jason Rand

Max, if you want to move to Plymouth, I'd be happy with that.  But I don't plan on moving.  When you say that NH will never have 20,000 activists, that depends upon how you define an activist.  I can also see advantages to being spread out more, so its not open and shut, even though I do understand the point you are making.

KBCraig

Quote from: yamnuska on September 09, 2006, 06:53 PM NHFT
I vote Berlin or Lancaster, just because I am a climber and prefer the North. Anyone in Berlin?

We have a member in Berlin who is so active that he regularly attends the Seacost Porcs monthly meetings. And that's quite a drive!

I'll be in Lancaster (first choice), or Northumberland or Randolph (tied for second) when I move.

Kevin

Dreepa

Quote from: maxxoccupancy on September 09, 2006, 11:46 PM NHFT

The point of the FSP was to concentrate activists in one area.  If we're not going to do that, we could just let people choose whatever state they wanted.  I think it ironic that many of the people who refused to even discuss offering a western state as an alternative are now refusing even to discuss concentrating people here.
Max many of the 'fights' are taking place in Concord during the leg session. Porc from all over focus on the state house. Isn't that concentrating?
Many of the smaller towns will take years to get involved if you are a new comer.  Also it seems that many free staters don't want to concentrate on town/city issues but focus on state issues.

I am not saying I disagree but it might be hard with only 400 people on the ground.  When we have 1-2K then we might revisit.  I think the important thing is finding a place in NH that you like.

Lex

My suggestion to you, Max, would be to just move to the town you want to be free and convince the people there of freedom. You have to think outside the box and that includes going outside the mindframe that only FSPers can make a town "free". That's not true, there are plenty of native freedom fighters in NH some of whome are already fighting for freedom and some are just sleeping giants that need to be woken up and shown the path. I think it is very reasonable to believe that you alone could move to a town, make a good impression on the community by helping people, then spread the word of freedom to everyone you know and in this way you will achieve your free town. Good luck!

maxxoccupancy

What is the point of the FSP but an agreeement by lots of activists to concentrate in one small area to make a bigger difference?  There is a tremendous benefit to locality.  Folks in Lancaster can't do much help activists in Nashua, and vice versa.

If the idea is that everyone does their own thing, then can I just move back to Washington state?  Can we all do that?  I have put a lot of effort into campaigns and lobbying here.  I've put a lot of time, money, and effort into NH.  If we're not going to concentrate activists, why move to one state.  Why reject a second state, or all 50?

There are benefits to changing over the legislature, certainly, but we're getting a lot of work done with MVP because of a higher concentration of freestaters here.  Wouldn't it be great if we could pick a very liveable town in this area and encourage migrants to settle there over time.  This is not to say that you are agreeing also to move to one of these towns, only that those towns could see more benefit from gaining more activists over time.

--Max

JonM

Max, it's a free market thing.  If you want to promote a town as a good location for incoming Free Staters to move to, then go ahead with it.  If others don't want to, there is that free market at work.

Money Dollars

Quote from: maxxoccupancy on September 11, 2006, 11:39 AM NHFT
Wouldn't it be great if we could pick a very liveable town in this area and encourage migrants to settle there over time.
I think that is the way freestaters say "not Grafton"..... :D

Kat Kanning

Hey Money Dollars, you want to help us campaign to have Keene be the Free Town?   ;)

Tom Sawyer

Hey Max, I think Jon is right... plus I believe leading should be done from the front. You've worked hard and folks see that. If someone that seems to generate enthusiasm and even maybe results says the revolution starts here it seems to happen. :)

I think you should apply yourself in the direction that makes the most sense to you and I believe if you stay at it you'll turn around to see a group of folks following your lead, or at least working along side you.

If you want a forest to grow just start planting trees. Know one really knows exactly the way the forest will look, but you will end up with a forest.

Too much planning and discussion seems to sap the energy that should be used in progress towards results. No one can really argue with results.

Lloyd Danforth

Just when I was thinking about apologising to Max for busting his stones, he threatens to move again :P