• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Should we launch a "Free Town Project" discussion?

Started by maxxoccupancy, August 28, 2006, 12:34 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

maxxoccupancy

While some fsp-NHers are looking into moving to other towns within NH, a lot of new FSPers are not sure where to move to.  There are different advantages to different cities and towns, but I would like to move somewhere where we already have (or will have) that critical mass to make things happen.

I propose that put up 20 or so nominee towns, then vote by IRV until we have towns that win 30% or more of the vote.  In other words, you could have up to three towns selected as destinations for fsp activists who are moving in.  More to the point, those of us who are fire eaters would have destination towns to settle into.

We would then have up to three demonstration towns with minimalist municiple government to serve as examples... without City Hall picking your pocket and breathing down your neck.

--Max

Russell Kanning

"after the election is over" what election?
The winner will have no muni-government. :)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Michael Fisher on August 28, 2006, 12:26 AM NHFT
Why don't we vote on what we believe is the best region of the state for Free Staters to move into?

Voting for "what we believe is the best region for Free Staters to move into" is a far cry from an official project. A regional vote is best, IMO.

Dave Ridley

I think maybe  merrimack is probably the best place to be because they have Merrimack Cares, which is already sending the tax and spenders reeling.  and it's a fairly central location to get to almost all the activities in state.  maybe it's expensive tho, i dunno.

Lex

I think the idea to inform people about the towns where others have already moved to is not a bad idea but starting a "Free Town Project" is counterproductive and pointless.

JonM

For some reason Free Town Project sounds familiar . . .

Lex

Quote from: Jon Maltz on August 28, 2006, 06:40 AM NHFT
For some reason Free Town Project sounds familiar . . .

Yes, some people take "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." a bit too far.

toowm

I think the "Free Town" is an idea who's time has passed. People have voted and will continue to vote with their feet.

We are already enticing civil disobedience-types to Keene. We are already getting urban-philes into Manchester.
We are already getting off-the-grid folks up north. And many of us in other communities are energizing resident freedom-lovers and leveraging our activism within the original "Live Free or Die" culture.

Maybe this is just an attempt to get Money Dollars active again. ;)

aries

We all know it's Keene anyway  :P

Just because Russel and Kat are there... and Ian's going... a few others I think

maineiac

Quote from: maxxoccupancy on August 28, 2006, 12:34 AM NHFT
While some fsp-NHers are looking into moving to other towns within NH, a lot of new FSPers are not sure where to move to.  There are different advantages to different cities and towns, but I would like to move somewhere where we already have (or will have) that critical mass to make things happen.

I propose that put up 20 or so nominee towns, then vote by IRV until we have towns that win 30% or more of the vote.  In other words, you could have up to three towns selected as destinations for fsp activists who are moving in.  More to the point, those of us who are fire eaters would have destination towns to settle into.

We would then have up to three demonstration towns with minimalist municiple government to serve as examples... without City Hall picking your pocket and breathing down your neck.

--Max

Despite "free state" being unequivocally oxymoronic IMHO, the sheer idealistic zeal of this post is almost refreshing!

At which point, though, does zealotry become controlfreaky?

Lex

Quote from: maineiac on August 28, 2006, 08:48 AM NHFT
At which point, though, does zealotry become controlfreaky?

The instant you find followers  ;)

Lloyd Danforth

Allright, I have to give in on this.  I insist the Free Town be Grafton.

Money Dollars

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 28, 2006, 04:55 PM NHFT

http://www.seacoastonline.com/2004news/06262004/news/23656.htm
QuoteTim Condon, a Free Stater also involved in the Free Town Project, said the group has since changed their name to Grafton For Freedom, to avoid confusion with the Free State Project.

Grafton also has the most busted meth labs in the state..... :P
http://www.nh.gov/nhdoj/publications/nreleases/011706methamphetamine.html

hook

Quote from: Money Dollars on August 28, 2006, 05:17 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 28, 2006, 04:55 PM NHFT

http://www.seacoastonline.com/2004news/06262004/news/23656.htm
QuoteTim Condon, a Free Stater also involved in the Free Town Project, said the group has since changed their name to Grafton For Freedom, to avoid confusion with the Free State Project.

Grafton also has the most busted meth labs in the state..... :P
http://www.nh.gov/nhdoj/publications/nreleases/011706methamphetamine.html

What would you do if you couldn't continually regurgitate the past...

Money Dollars

What would you do if you could remember the past?