• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tire Installer

Started by FTL_Ian, September 11, 2006, 09:57 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

I'll likely be ordering some all season or winter tires from http://tirerack.com , and will need to find a good installer in Keene.  Any recommendations?

Kat Kanning

We like City Tire on Main Street.   357-1332

Lloyd Danforth

Russell Kanning

The Sullivan Tire guys are no good.

Kat Kanning

Had a good experience with Tire Warehouse (492 Main St) also.  Took a stranded lady there to have a tire remounted and they did it real quick for not much money.

FTL_Ian

Turns out that after shipping is factored in, Tire Rack isn't any better than buying direct from Tire Warehouse, as there is no sales tax.

KBCraig

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 11, 2006, 09:09 PM NHFT
Turns out that after shipping is factored in, Tire Rack isn't any better than buying direct from Tire Warehouse, as there is no sales tax.

I like having local places to shop, so I alway compare total price out-the-door, versus internet dealers. And then, I apply my personal discount factor, which is about ten percent: if a local installer will provide excellent service, that's worth 5%; if they'll come within 5% of the big guy's price, that's a wash. Good service/close price means I'm going with the local guy.

I'm an information junkie. I like knowing every possible thing about every possible purchase I make. But because time is money, I've come to learn that there are certain things that just aren't worth my time. Thirty bucks at the quick lube for an oil change sure beats the time and mileage I'd spend buying the supplies, changing the oil, and safely disposing of the used products.

Wal Mart and Sam's have good tire deals, and you get warranty service at any store. But you won't get any educated advice there; they're simply tire monkeys. Sometime in the next couple of weeks, I have to get two tires changed on our van. I bought them from the same local tire store that I've been using for over 10 years. In April, I paid for an alignment. I'm going to raise bloody hell, because the tire wear shows that the alignment was never done, which is why I'm changing two tires about 10,000 miles ahead of the other two.

The owner might go for it, he might not. At that point, his customer service attitude will be the sole determining factor. If he blows me off, I'll pay twice as much to get the alignment done at the dealership, and pay full price for tires somewhere else.

Kevin

slim

Ian, I really don't know what the snow is like in NH but here in Western NY we get Lake Effect Snow and I would suggest that you get studded snow tires. If you do get studded tires I know around here you can only have them on the car for a limited time here in NY it is Nov 1st - April 1st. One other thing I would suggest is that you get some quick experience as soon as the Ice or snow falls. Sometimes winter driving can be like trying to control a vehicle that does not respond.

Another couple things you might want to think about would be some supplies you carry in your car all winter long. A quick list from me would be a thick blanket, Road Salt or Sand, a snow shovel, extra gloves and a winter hat, some type of food i.e. granola bars.

KBCraig

Studs are for ice. They do diddly in snow.

d_goddard

Quote from: KBCraig on September 12, 2006, 08:40 PM NHFT
Studs are for ice. They do diddly in snow.
Keene is in no danger of getting lake effect snow.
And they do have snowplows... even in Keene

Lloyd Danforth

When I was a teenager working in a gas station we installed and removed studs in snow tires.  After highschool, I worked for a Mercedes dealer.  We put studded radials on all 4 wheels.  They are a little noisey on dry roads.