• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Winter Clothes

Started by Soundwave, September 11, 2006, 06:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

neck gator
fleece neck warmer... keeps you warm as toast. :)

Kat Kanning

The first winter, we just kept buying stuff until we were warm.

mvpel

This coming winter, we're going to have to apply some of the lessons we leared in Russia on keeping toddlers warm.  They put them in jackets and hats in 70-degree weather, so we'll just shave 15 degrees or so off the Russian standard and we should do fine.

Lex

Quote from: Money Dollars on September 12, 2006, 08:47 AM NHFT
The best coat/jacket:

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=5463&tabID=1

ECWCS (EXTENDED COLD WEATHER CLOTHING SYSTEM). I'd go for black, cus I don't want to look like a douche bag walking around in camo all the time. It is pretty lightweight, and can double as a raincoat when it's not cold if you don't use a liner....but they are expensive...

You can probably find a better price if you google for ECWCS Parka

Hmm... how do you determine what size to get... that's the biggest problem with buying online. I bought some 5.11 Pants a while back and got lucky because they fit perfectly but I'm always scared of spending several hundred bucks on something and then not have it fit (which is why i don't own any clothing over a hundred, but this coat looks good).

Money Dollars

It's easy if you have been in the military......they tell you what size you are.

but you can alway go to an army/navy surplus store and try stuff on to figure out the right size...then shop around online for the best price.

But I tend to buy my stuff on the big side, cus I'm gansta like that. Gotta be able to fit a bunch of guns in there  >:D

mvpel

At Riley's in Hooksett, they have a police supply shop out back - not sure if they'll sell you an unmarked traffic cop jacket, but they seemed to be very high quality and well constructed.

Lex

Quote from: Money Dollars on September 12, 2006, 10:12 AM NHFT
It's easy if you have been in the military......they tell you what size you are.

but you can alway go to an army/navy surplus store and try stuff on to figure out the right size...then shop around online for the best price.

But I tend to buy my stuff on the big side, cus I'm gansta like that. Gotta be able to fit a bunch of guns in there  >:D

I'm about 39" chest size and using the fitting chart on there that would make me a Medium. So i placed the Medium Regular in my shopping cart and it look like it's on backorder and won't be shipped untill: 11/19/2006

I don't see any other stores that sell it either and all the ones that are on ebay are the camo ones and I don't particularly want people staring at me.

maineiac

Quote from: Roger Grant on September 12, 2006, 09:56 AM NHFT
neck gator
fleece neck warmer... keeps you warm as toast. :)

I'm wearing one of those right now, except not on my neck, but as a hat! :P

I have a thing about knit hats. You just can't have enough of them. I particularly like any wool hat with Thinsulate.

I even wear one inside, since we keep it coolish to conserve $2.30 something fuel oil.

It's beautiful here today . . . up from 40?ish this morning to nearly 60?!

slim

I think keeping your head covered helps the most to keep warm. I allow my hair to grow long durring the fall and if you can grow a beard that could help also. I don't know if Ian would be down with you growing a beard tho :laughing6: If you are going to be outside for awhile in the winter layers are essential. 3 layers of clothing are usually warmer then one puffy coat. Remember that a lot of heat escapes from the head. I also notice that after about a month working outside in the cold my body changes and I do not get cold as quick. I usually go to the Salvation Army stores to look for winter clothing first or other stores like that i.e. Goodwill.

Money Dollars

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on September 12, 2006, 10:26 AM NHFT
I don't see any other stores that sell it either
There should be a bunch of places that have that, or something almost identical.....the frist gen. stuff is good too.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Money Dollars on September 12, 2006, 08:47 AM NHFT
The best coat/jacket:

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=5463&tabID=1

ECWCS (EXTENDED COLD WEATHER CLOTHING SYSTEM).

Thanks for the recommendation, MD.

So GoreTex is good, as is Thinsulate?

Money Dollars

Keep in mind that is only the outer layer.....

there is also a liner, but you can layer whatever you want underneath...
http://www.rangerjoes.com/jacketliner-ecwcs-polar-fleece-p-2963.html

FTL_Ian

What do you recommend for pants?

Money Dollars

there are ECWCS pants....

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=5464&tabID=1

You can probably get this stuff alot cheaper if you are willing to get used stuff from an army/navy store, but it will probably be camo. I don't mind wearing camo every once in a while, but I don't want to wear it every day...

Russell Kanning

Quote from: aries on September 12, 2006, 05:07 AM NHFTFor example I've waited for the school bus at -52 degrees.
Ear plugs for the tall tales.