• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Porcupine 411

Started by TackleTheWorld, September 12, 2006, 08:20 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Bald Eagle

Lauren,

Just ask almost anybody where I am and you'll probably find me within 5 min.  Or look for the guy with the most guns.   ::)

error

413-0411 will be unavailable for several hours tonight while I change its internal architecture around a bit. It should be back up and running by early morning Saturday.

error

Quote from: error on April 27, 2007, 03:46 PM NHFT
413-0411 will be unavailable for several hours tonight while I change its internal architecture around a bit. It should be back up and running by early morning Saturday.

This number is back up. (It took a bit longer than I thought!) And now the whole platform is on a brand new, fully encrypted hard drive.

error

I finally got AT&T to unblock me, so if you're subscribing from an AT&T address, you should have gotten the last few messages.

Russell Kanning

I guess porc411 came in handy in Manchester .... now you guys just need some copwatch badges and put the stories in the manchfreepress. :)

dalebert

I've been very gradually transitioning over to gmail from yahoo but I'll try to speed up the process soon. Besides being endlessly annoyed with Yahoo for a number of really idiotic UI issues, my old address just doesn't make sense any more.

daleinla ( Dale in L.A. )

Speaking of idiotic UI problems, do you know you can't search the bulk mail folder? Considering the fact that good mail frequently ends up there, doesn't it make sense to be able to search for an email you were expecting that didn't arrive? No, you have to go through, page by page, and find that email manually. Help me Jeebus.

error

Dreepa

dalebert

Quote from: Dreepa on August 07, 2007, 10:38 PM NHFT
yes Homer I will. ;)
DaleinNH  now?

"Dalebert" is working out just fine. It works in NH or anywhere else. :)

error

As I mentioned before, I have been looking into the possibility of delivering Porcupine 411 messages via MMS (multimedia messaging service) directly to subscribers' wireless phones. My initial testing indicates that this will work fine for most people. But you have to have a MMS-capable phone. (If it's got a camera, it certainly is; if not, check with your wireless provider.)

If you have a MMS-capable phone (or if you aren't sure) and you want to sign up for a trial of receiving Porc-411 audio directly to your cell phone, follow these directions carefully:

• Get out your cell phone and find the menu option to Send a MMS (Multimedia) message. (Alternately, take a picture of something on your camera phone and select the option to send it to someone else.)
  • Send the picture, audio, text, or whatever via MMS to porc411@ioerror.us . It doesn't matter what's IN the message, so long as it's sent via your phone's MMS function.

Keep in mind your wireless provider will charge you a fee for receiving MMS messages.

Thanks!

KBCraig

Were today's 2- and 3-second empty message part of a test?

error

Quote from: KBCraig on August 09, 2007, 01:19 AM NHFT

No, those are idiots who don't realize they've gotten the wrong number until well after the system has started recording.

d_goddard

Quote from: Beavis on August 09, 2007, 01:33 AM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on August 09, 2007, 01:19 AM NHFT

No, those are idiots who don't realize they've gotten the wrong number until well after the system has started recording.
Could there be a short message before the recording starts?

"You have reached Porc-411. This number is for EMERGENCIES ONLY. If this not an emergency, please hang up now. Alerting the network in 3... 2... 1... *beep*"

toowm

With the Dave open carry video big on YouTube and digg, it's possible we're getting spammed.

dalebert

Quote from: d_goddard on August 09, 2007, 08:27 AM NHFT
"You have reached Porc-411. This number is for EMERGENCIES ONLY. If this not an emergency, please hang up now. Alerting the network in 3... 2... 1... *beep*"

I like the idea of a short msg first to prevent accidents but I don't think it's just for emergencies. It's not Porc911 afterall. Of course people shouldn't go totally nuts with it or people might stop checking their messages quickly when they see it.