• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Can this possibly be right? - concealed weapons permit

Started by 9thmoon, September 12, 2006, 02:59 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

9thmoon

So a good friend of mine is in NH today establishing residency, getting his driver's license, and applying for his CCW/CWP/CPP, whatever you folks call it out there so you can be licensed to carry a gun concealed. 

He said he learned that, at least in Nashua, where he lives, the sheriff requires multiple in-person interviews before deciding whether to issue you a permit.  Including one at your home.  I don't let police into my house without a warrant!  I don't let *anyone* into my house, really, I'm an antisocial little b*tch.  I don't even give anyone my real address.  The utility companies can have it, since they have to know where they are providing service, but nobody else gets it. 

Isn't NH a "shall-issue" state?  Why is it up to the sheriff whether or not to acknowledge my right to bear arms?  What if he just doesn't like me?  I mean, that's pretty likely.  I'm really worried, now.  I want to be legal, but I will fight the "interview you in your own home" thing if it comes up.

Does anyone know?  Is this true?  If it is, is it just Nashua?  Is NH "shall-issue"? 

Kat Kanning

In some places the police have tried to do more than they are allowed by law to do.  It sounds like Nashua is one.

Money Dollars

I got my one in nashua about 4 years ago, and just had to drop off the paperwork and $10....they didn't even contact the 3 refs. listed.....then pick it up about 10 days later...

Lloyd Danforth

Money Dollars

Quote from: 9thmoon on September 12, 2006, 02:59 PM NHFT
He said he learned that, at least in Nashua, where he lives, the sheriff requires multiple in-person interviews before deciding whether to issue you a permit.
Did he go to the sheriff for it  ???
They are a county thing.....

I thought they did a check with the state police.....

9thmoon

He said that he had to go to the Sheriff for it.
So it's supposed to be issued by county?

I live in Washington State now and here they are issued by county - except when your city of residence has passed its own laws requiring them to be issued by the city.  I had to get my current license from the city I live in.  Maybe NH is the same?

Has anyone ever had to do the "interview in your own home"?

Lloyd, what is Gun Owners of NH?  A forum?  An interest group? 

KBCraig

I thought sheriffs were fairly weak in NH, compared to western states.

Since everyone in NH effectively lives in a town or city, only those in really small towns without a PD would ever have to go to the sheriff for anything. It's not like western counties that have unincorporated areas bigger than all of NH, and the sheriff is the only law enforcement.

Kevin

Money Dollars

Quote from: 9thmoon on September 12, 2006, 05:37 PM NHFT
He said that he had to go to the Sheriff for it.
So it's supposed to be issued by county?
No, your friend is an idiot.
Tell him to read this info really slow...or he can just look at the pictures.

Tell him to go fill out this form, you may have to help him:
http://www.wvpublicsafety.com/pistol_permit.pdf
and bring it to the Nashua PD with $10.

The address is 0 Panther Drive.

Here is a map:

This is what the building looks like:

http://www.ci.nashua.nh.us/content/51/98/513/default.aspx
HOW MAY I RECEIVE A PISTOL PERMIT?

An application for a permit to carry concealed/loaded pistol/revolver may be obtained through the Records Division or directly from our web site for Nashua residents only.  Complete the form in its entirety.  For the purpose of proving residency, you will be asked to allow Records Division personnel to photocopy your New Hampshire Driver?s License.  The copy of the license will be attached to the application.  The process takes approximately 2 weeks, depending on the number of record checks required.  The Records Division will not call you with the status of the permit.  You will be asked to call the Records Division to check on the status.  The fee for a pistol permit is $10.00 and will last for four years.

Pat K

Gee, that was kind of rude but funny at the same time.

9thmoon

Thank you, Money, for the information.  You didn't really need to call my friend an idiot - I assure you, he's not.  But thank you for the information, regardless.  I'll share it with him.

Pat K

Money Dollars

aries

Quote from: Money Dollars on September 12, 2006, 05:02 PM NHFT
Did he go to the sheriff for it  ???
They are a county thing.....

No. They are a town thing. The sheriff is not involved in it, only the local chief of police.
edit- Now I'm confused as in a later post you posted the correct info

And I highly, HIGHLY doubt that the Nashua chief is doing anything like this. The police are well informed of the consequences of not following the laws in these cases, and let's say they are not pleasant.

The Nashua police will issue permits like any other town. Apply to the chief, wait a max of 14 days and go claim your permit or official denial, which is only issued in case of a prior felony or domestic violence conviction.

I repeat, I VERY MUCH DOUBT, almost the the point that I am convinced, that this is not the case.