• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Building Fun at Jim-n-Lauren's

Started by TackleTheWorld, September 15, 2006, 05:39 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

lildog

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on September 15, 2006, 05:39 PM NHFT
Jim and Lauren's Barn is going up!
I've had many people offer to help with construction. 
Well if you would like to help us raise the walls or shovel some dirt, or grill some cheese sandwiches before the whole thing freezes over come on out!

Saturday 30 Sept. and Sunday 1 Oct.
Daybreak to Sunset
Then Pizza!
Call for directions 603-239-8506

Warning: We have been warned by the local building inspector to cease and desist our unpermitted renovation.
Do not attend if you would like to remain 100% law abiding.

Oh boy, I'm in!!!

Are we talking post and beam construction here?

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: cathleeninnh on September 20, 2006, 08:18 AM NHFT
It does seem that homes are kept decidedly shabbier here than other parts of the country. It is confusing to us furriners when we see shabby, we think, CHEAP. NOT!

Cathleen

I've always like the mixed homes you see as you go along a road.  You can see  a nicely kept Mobile Home, a house covered with 'house wrap' going on 5 years, a nice old colonial, a great barn,  a car up on blocks, a nicely manicured small house, a possibly, abandoned old house.  I love it!

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 20, 2006, 03:54 PM NHFT
Quote from: cathleeninnh on September 20, 2006, 08:18 AM NHFT
It does seem that homes are kept decidedly shabbier here than other parts of the country. It is confusing to us furriners when we see shabby, we think, CHEAP. NOT!

Cathleen

I've always like the mixed homes you see as you go along a road.  You can see  a nicely kept Mobile Home, a house covered with 'house wrap' going on 5 years, a nice old colonial, a great barn,  a car up on blocks, a nicely manicured small house, a possibly, abandoned old house.  I love it!

Absolutely! It beats the hell out of rubber stamped "planned communities"!

cathleeninnh

I love diversity, and I especially like the laid back attitudes. Maybe I will paint my porch and maybe I won't. The tax situation discourages any sprucing up.

Cathleen

lildog

Some good points here about our current tax meathod discouraging sprucing up, I'm going to start a new thread to discuss.

Russell Kanning

I guess we will be breaking Lauren out this weekend and building the house next weekend.

Kat Kanning

This is still on.  I think we might ought to make it a potluck meal, though.  I can bbq there, but I think Lauren was to be in charge of the food prep.  We'll have to wing it.

We're hoping to devote every Saturday while Lauren's in jail to helping build her house.

Russell Kanning

We talked to Jim about this on Saturday. His only concern was cooking for all of us. When we told him we would all be cooking for ourselves or whatever, he liked the idea.

This is something we can do for Lauren/Jim since our hands are mostly tied in actually freeing her and such. This could also be theraputic for Jim .... actually accomplishing something. :)

Tom Sawyer

Yeah we had already been planning on preparing food... :campfire: :bacon: :smoke:
I can almost smell the apple pies cooking. :)

I am concerned about Lauren and Jim being cold and uncomfortable this winter... it's time to get their shelter closed in before the snow flies.  :tent: :pitchfork:

Dan

I was planning on climbing at Rumney this weekend.  This might shape up to be a great weekend.
Got a spot for two more tents?

Russell Kanning

I am not sure where we could have extra people tent for this event.

I think they will get it buttoned up. We just might be able to get the whole next outside shell done. :)

Kat Kanning

Message me for directions.  I have a little map made up.

Russell Kanning

Jim needs a small strip of foundation finished off (They had already done 3/4 of the bigger building). He is putting all the cement blocks in place and then plastering mortar on the outside.

So we can mix/pour cement on Saturday and put all the blocks in place from what I have seen. We should be able to accomplish alot on Saturday. :)

BBQ has already been poured/built by Lauren. That is how she practiced her mortaring skilzz.

Kat Kanning

It sounds like the reporter from Time will be at this event.  So if you're itching to jump in front of a camera, here's your chance  ::)

For the big barbecue, please bring something for yourself for the grill and perhaps some drinks, snacks.  Several ladies have volunteered to make salads of various sorts.

Let's have some fun and do something for Lauren! :)

Lloyd Danforth

Will it be just cement work or woodwork?  I need to know what to bring.  Anyone in contact with Jim?