• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Deval Patrick wins nomination for Governor in MA. One step closer to the abyss.

Started by JonM, September 19, 2006, 10:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

JonM

So Deval managed to split the scared shitless of what a true believer liberal might do vote between his two opponents and looks like he'll get at least 50% of the "taxes aren't high enough vote." (It is said that he actually said that)

It remains to be seen if Cristy Mihos will be strong enough to siphon off enough "Oh my god, we can't let this happen again" votes from the current Lt. Governor, Kerry 'Murphy' Healy to give Deval the win in November.  Deval is said to have put together a tremendous field organization (raising over $1 million via his website), and will be able to get out the vote.

What does this mean to NH, apart from an even starker difference?  A massive exodus of people from Massachusetts.  If Massachusetts Libertarians were to get tired of watching the commonwealth self-destruct, we could fulfill the First 1000 within a few hours of the election results!  I wouldn't put too much hope in that myself.  Now fleeing won't be much good for people who continue to hold jobs in Massachusetts if he just raises the income tax (which is possible).  What is more likely is the killing or gutting of Prop 2 1/2, a 26 year old law that says towns can only raise property taxes by 2.5% a year.  This wasn't a problem with a booming housing market that raised assessments, but if the housing market bubble bursts, towns will have a shortfall in property taxes, and that money will have to come from somewhere.

I talked with people who voted for Deval who honestly don't think he'd kill prop 2 1/2.  Heh.  I'm going to spec out a bridge for them to buy later.  Deval's voting block is state workers, people who don't own property, and don't pay much in taxes.  That is a disturbingly large percentage of the voting population in Massachusetts.

This is a terrible prospect for Massachusetts residents who do own property, businesses, or pay taxes.  It is also a great incentive to flee.  Perhaps another Keene Free Press special Massachusetts "Look what you've gotten yourselves into" edition might be in order.

Denis, cause you don't have enough on your plate, perhaps we can tailor that First 1000 phone script to be different for each state that has a sufficient number of Free Staters in it.  For the MA residents the list might be too long, but the specter of what is to come might be a useful thing to remind us poor MA based Porcupines of.

Caleb

Dave Ridley

in patrick's defense (on one issue)  he has come under attack for allegedly wanting to turn drug offenders loose.

JonM

http://www.unionofminorityneighborhoods.org/marc/legislation/files/Omni%20bill%207.pdf#search=%22%22Public%20Safety%20Act%20of%202006%22%22

I believe that is the proposed law in question.  It would let drug offenders apply for early release after 2/3rds of their sentence.  What has people up in arms is that it makes it easier for someone convicted of a violent felony to have their record sealed so employers running background checks wouldn't see it.  The favorite example being trumped out is a guy who was convicted of killing a cop 30 or so years ago . . .

aries

Taxes in mass sure aren't high enough. Sales tax 5%? Other places in the country are triple that. Same with the state income tax.

Quadruple them all and reclaim your title as Taxachusetts!

oh, and at least meet NH on the cost of our excise taxes (utility bills, car registration, etc)

:P Teach them all a lesson for migrating here and trying year after year to turn our own conservative small-government legislature against us, and into a bureaucratic monster hell bent on raising taxes and regulations.

Dreepa

Quote from: Jon Maltz on September 19, 2006, 10:36 PM NHFT
This is a terrible prospect for Massachusetts residents who do own property, businesses, or pay taxes.  It is also a great incentive to flee.  Perhaps another Keene Free Press special Massachusetts "Look what you've gotten yourselves into" edition might be in order.

Denis, cause you don't have enough on your plate, perhaps we can tailor that First 1000 phone script to be different for each state that has a sufficient number of Free Staters in it.  For the MA residents the list might be too long, but the specter of what is to come might be a useful thing to remind us poor MA based Porcupines of.
I was thinking that right before or after the elections might be a good time for the MA KFP.  But we will need 10-20 people to hit the streets of MA hard to get the paper out there to lots of places.

I agree that we should to a MA only email followed by an MA only phone call.

CNHT