• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

When will the snow start, realistically? I have to drive 3200 miles by 10/31.

Started by 9thmoon, September 20, 2006, 12:31 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Quote from: 9thmoon on September 20, 2006, 02:22 PM NHFT
Do you think I could get around in winter in a little tiny hybrid like an Insight?  Because that's what I really, really want. 
I would recommend a front wheel drive car in snow. Since you will be driving on roads, an Insight seems like a good choice to me.

9thmoon

Quote from: Russell Kanning on September 20, 2006, 03:19 PM NHFT
Quote from: 9thmoon on September 20, 2006, 02:22 PM NHFT
Do you think I could get around in winter in a little tiny hybrid like an Insight?  Because that's what I really, really want. 
I would recommend a front wheel drive car in snow. Since you will be driving on roads, an Insight seems like a good choice to me.

You don't think it's too light to be able to get around in the snow?

cathleeninnh

Denis drives one and we drive a Prius. We haven't had any trouble through 2 winters. I'm definately not bragging. Please understand that, I am not bragging. (just in case fate is online)

Cathleen 

9thmoon

Quote from: cathleeninnh on September 20, 2006, 06:10 PM NHFT
Denis drives one and we drive a Prius. We haven't had any trouble through 2 winters. I'm definately not bragging. Please understand that, I am not bragging. (just in case fate is online)

Hee hee!  Thank you!  That helps a LOT.
I think I'm going to buy an Insight and tow it out there behind a moving truck... what a waste of technology!

Pat K

Cathleen 

Having spent a few hours in Cathleens and Don's Prius ( thanks to their generous nature or maybe they wanted to check out it's wieght hauling capacity) I was impressed. Quiet, smooth, enough power and a zillion mpg. ( I am not helping Cathleen brag)

Until gas go's to 5 dollars a gallon I will still be driving big cars though.

Lloyd Danforth

Cathleen 

This is where I, usually, tap my head ;)

citizen_142002

You'll find that driving in the winter isn't actualy that bad, you just have to get used to it. There will be some bad driving days, during or right after snow storms, but on those days you just have to take it slow or wait for the roads to be cleared.

It's not as big of an issue as you might think, although I certainly wouldn't want to ride a motorcycle on icy roads.

Insurgent

Quote from: 9thmoon on September 20, 2006, 06:11 PM NHFT

I think I'm going to buy an Insight and tow it out there behind a moving truck... what a waste of technology!

If you're going to for sure buy one, buy it in NH. You'll save a ton with no sales tax, plus you'll save on the car trailer, extra fuel and extra headache of towing. I towed my Ranger when I moved a couple months ago, but only because I've had it for years and know what I have in to it. If you're buying outright, I'd suggest doing it here.

--Jeremy

9thmoon

Quote from: Insurgent on September 20, 2006, 07:33 PM NHFT
Quote from: 9thmoon on September 20, 2006, 06:11 PM NHFT

If you're going to for sure buy one, buy it in NH. You'll save a ton with no sales tax, plus you'll save on the car trailer, extra fuel and extra headache of towing. I towed my Ranger when I moved a couple months ago, but only because I've had it for years and know what I have in to it. If you're buying outright, I'd suggest doing it here.

--Jeremy

That's a good thought, Jeremy, thank you.  One reason I was going to buy it here was because I'll have a much easier time financing here, when I've already got a residence, a job with tenure, a good income, etc   - I don't know yet how things are going to be for me when I get there.  But I could consider not-financing, I suppose, and paying cash instead.  Something to think about.

KBCraig

September 21, 2006:

....atop Mt. Washington, of course.  ;D

Hey, PatK... ya think they need a powerhouse operator up there?

9thmoon

Where is Mt. Washington?   :o

I bought an AWD Subaru wagon today.  Now I just need a few rainbow stickers and I can look *just like* I'm from Seattle... er...

Pat K

Quote from: KBCraig on September 21, 2006, 10:11 PM NHFT
September 21, 2006:

....atop Mt. Washington, of course.  ;D

Hey, PatK... ya think they need a powerhouse operator up there?

Well my BEER would stay cold.

KBCraig

Quote from: 9thmoon on September 22, 2006, 01:30 AM NHFT
Where is Mt. Washington?   :o

Within a figurative stone's throw of all previous PorcFests. Here's a photo taken with a mere 135mm lense, from the main parking lot at Roger's Campground:

Mt. Washington is the highest point in the northeastern U.S., at 6,288 feet. It's also the home of the world's worst weather, and the site of the highest recorded straight-line windspeed on earth (231 mph, on April 12, 1934).

It's the most challenging peak of the Appalachian Trail, and the one that throws a big roadblock in the way of hiking the AT straight through. It's dangerous, because of the weather.

I posted the frosted pickup photo as a joke. The weather on Mt. Washington is no more typical of NH than it is of Sarasota.

Lots more information: http://www.mountwashington.org

QuoteI bought an AWD Subaru wagon today.  Now I just need a few rainbow stickers and I can look *just like* I'm from Seattle... er...

Not to worry. With enough rainbows, you'll just look like you're from Vermont.

Kevin

Pat K

"I bought an AWD Subaru wagon today.  Now I just need a few rainbow stickers and I can look *just like* I'm from Seattle... er..."

You and Sandy can swap Subaru wagon cross country driving tales.

Kat Kanning