• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Nominations for the next silent demonstration?

Started by Dave Ridley, September 21, 2006, 07:03 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: CNHT on October 13, 2006, 06:25 PM NHFT
Quote from: d_goddard on October 13, 2006, 06:21 PM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on October 13, 2006, 05:49 PM NHFT
I can see no misuses of 20 mins of film of children sitting quietly on a bus, film that will be erased if nothing else has happened. What possible use could it have?
On the other hand if something happens, it will be recorded. And looks like if the little darlings know they are being filmed, it stops a lot of the violence.

I presume then that you would also be fine with cameras on every streetcorner to prevent crime, such as are already installed in much of the UK?

We already have them at every intersection and at the toll booths. I am not fine with that, because it's not a place that is having problems necessarily. The bus apparently is.

So, why not protest those instead?

I have lived in Manchester my entire life and have never heard of any crimes on the bus. I also know several kids who ride the bus and they feel safe currently.

It is the $$$ that I don't want them to spend and "Big Brother" that I don't like.

I'm glad I posted the article as it has prompted a good debate.

;D

CNHT

The only reason I can think of that they might have wanted to do this was because of some kids becoming unruly.

I worked in the system for 35 years so I'm not making it up when I say the problem always existed but seems to have gotten worse lately.

In 2003 a bus was nearly tipped over because most of the 60 riders started rocking it. I'm sure there were a few terrified students who just did not know what they could do about it, and then the driver stopped and called the police.

What do you think the driver should have done?

As far as intersections go Denis, you can't really avoid them, so yes I oppose. But if you think that camera on the bus is taking away your freedoms in any way, THEN DON'T RIDE THE BUS, period. Be a true libertarian and get your own ride to school, or better yet don't go to the public schools. I would certainly not send my kids there if you  can't even give them the authority to punish or even find out who is hurting my kid! Teachers have no authority as it is now, and that is why the classrooms are in such disarray due to other children not having had the benefit of a proper upbringing.

In a utopian world, they all would be angels.

Russell Kanning

Maybe the driver should have helped tip over the bus.

KBCraig

Quote from: CNHT on October 13, 2006, 06:54 PM NHFT
In 2003 a bus was nearly tipped over because most of the 60 riders started rocking it. I'm sure there were a few terrified students who just did not know what they could do about it, and then the driver stopped and called the police.

Stopped and called the police.

CNHT

Quote from: KBCraig on October 13, 2006, 09:28 PM NHFT

That is exactly what she did...

KBCraig

Quote from: CNHT on October 13, 2006, 09:50 PM NHFT

Wasn't that enough? What else would you have her do? You brought it up as as an inadequate response.

You keep bring guns into the discussion. I'm all for gun ownership and the right to self defense (as I sit here typing with a .45 on my hip), but "stopping a bunch of punks from rocking the bus" doesn't justify either the use or threat of deadly force.

So: would you shoot the little heathens?

If not, then guns are irrelevant to rocking the bus, bullying, or fistfights amongst students, short of stopping deadly conduct in defense of self or another.

Kevin

CNHT

Quote from: KBCraig on October 14, 2006, 12:41 AM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on October 13, 2006, 09:50 PM NHFT

Wasn't that enough? What else would you have her do? You brought it up as as an inadequate response.

You keep bring guns into the discussion. I'm all for gun ownership and the right to self defense (as I sit here typing with a .45 on my hip), but "stopping a bunch of punks from rocking the bus" doesn't justify either the use or threat of deadly force.

So: would you shoot the little heathens?

If not, then guns are irrelevant to rocking the bus, bullying, or fistfights amongst students, short of stopping deadly conduct in defense of self or another.

Kevin

I didn't say it was inadequate, I wasn't getting any comments on it and wondered what everyone else thought since they don't like the cops either.

Russell Kanning

KBCraig

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 14, 2006, 04:31 AM NHFT
If I was her ,,,, I would not call the cops.

You would not call the cops even if you weren't her. No matter how many commas were involved.  ;D

Kevin

FTL_Ian

Quote from: CNHT on October 13, 2006, 05:21 PM NHFT
People here have no qualms about shopping in the supermarket where they have had cameras on you for years, not for YOUR protection but for their protection against YOU should you decided you are going to shoplift from them.

Actually, they put the cameras there to keep prices low.  Not that they think that YOU are a shoplifter, just that they know it happens, and by preventing that they can pass on the savings.

When business has cameras I feel safe, when government has them I feel in danger.

FTL_Ian

We already have them at every intersection and at the toll booths. I am not fine with that, because it's not a place that is having problems necessarily. The bus apparently is.

Oh, so if there's a "problem" then it's okay with you for the government to put up cameras?  How many violent crimes would it take to occur on Manchester streets before you consider it a "problem"?

CNHT

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 15, 2006, 04:28 PM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on October 13, 2006, 05:21 PM NHFT
People here have no qualms about shopping in the supermarket where they have had cameras on you for years, not for YOUR protection but for their protection against YOU should you decided you are going to shoplift from them.

Actually, they put the cameras there to keep prices low.  Not that they think that YOU are a shoplifter, just that they know it happens, and by preventing that they can pass on the savings.

When business has cameras I feel safe, when government has them I feel in danger.

If you don't me to bring pets into your home, smoke, or eat in your living room, or take my shoes off when I enter, and I don't agree with that then I don't come visit you. If I want to visit you, then I will do what you ask because it's your home.

If you don't want kids to be watched for violence on the bus, then don't put the kid on the bus in the first place. It's a confined space and they are not supposed to be doing anything but SITTING and RIDING so I can't see how it curtails their freedom any.

If my kid were stabbed I'd certainly want to know who did it, and that is how they would find out. The camera is not for the driver, who has a large mirror where he/she can see all that is going on in the bus, but to film the ride should violence break out. Unless your kid came home and told you about what happened on the bus, you would not know about any trouble until it became severe, such as in a stabbing. The incidents in the city where I worked were never publicized.

Not all kids are like our kids...so until everyone on earth practices personal responsibility and respecting the rights of others, cameras on school buses will be in line with REALITY not utopianism.

CNHT

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 15, 2006, 04:31 PM NHFT

Oh, so if there's a "problem" then it's okay with you for the government to put up cameras?  How many violent crimes would it take to occur on Manchester streets before you consider it a "problem"?

I wouldn't agree with that but please note in NH we already have them anyway.
There is nothing forcing me to walk those streets if I so choose.

Dave Ridley

I ask for silent demo suggestions on this thread and get none, but 5 pages of debate...that I get.

d_goddard

Quote from: DadaOrwell on October 16, 2006, 06:33 AM NHFT
I ask for silent demo suggestions on this thread and get none, but 5 pages of debate...that I get.

Ahem. You got my $0.02, at least, way back on page 1:
Quote from: d_goddard on October 09, 2006, 01:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on October 09, 2006, 01:29 PM NHFT
going to perp offices connected to the view tax.
This is FUCKING GORGEOUS. NH residents have been burned by the view tax many times and when it burns 'em, they feel that pain for as long time

Ed Naile is the walking, breathing database of tax offences by the NH gubamint. Jane, Ed, and folks like Bob Kingsbury are the people who know all about this stuff, and it's no coincidence they're all on the Board of the CNHT.