• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

There are lies...

Started by Michael Fisher, September 21, 2006, 09:26 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Back to (Public vs. Private) School

"And while most people assume that private schools are generally of higher quality than public schools, a recent study shows better scores, controlling for economic background, among public school students."

"There are lies, there are darn lies, and then there are statistics."
-Mark Twain (paraphrased)

Okay, so what they've done is "control for economic background" using a statistical analysis model. Unfortunately for the vast majority of people who assume this is a meaningful measurement, this study only means that privately schooled children are smarter than their publicly educated peers UNLESS you artificially statistically adjust their scores downward because their parents are wealthier.  ::)

Perhaps they believe that these tests somehow measure wealth, and that's the only reason why privately schooled children's test scores are higher. Talk about grasping at straws; what a joke of a study. And this worthless statistic showed up in the WSJ recently in a very large pro-public schooling story.  ::) IMO, pro-government-schooling people probably paid several hundred thousand dollars to run the full-page anti-private-schooling story advertisement.

AlanM

All this talk of public vs private schools in the press, and the studies coming out disturb me. Why? Because this is what occurs before a major push by the Gov for something, i. e. a new restrictive law of some kind.

Michael Fisher

They've been mass-fingerprinting all publicly educated children in the past few years. This happened to my brother. :o  :'( Now they're beginning "closed-campus" policies where children are immediately arrested upon leaving the jailschool "campus" during school hours.  :o

Michael Fisher

Quote from: AlanM on September 21, 2006, 09:32 PM NHFT
All this talk of public vs private schools in the press, and the studies coming out disturb me. Why? Because this is what occurs before a major push by the Gov for something, i. e. a new restrictive law of some kind.

Or maybe it's this:

House Passes Bill to Search High School Students

error

Quote from: Michael Fisher on September 21, 2006, 11:51 PM NHFT
Or maybe it's this:

House Passes Bill to Search High School Students

Could be that, but the press would be a bit different if it were. Something else is coming down the pike, and it doesn't sound good.

Kat Kanning

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Kat Kanning on September 22, 2006, 07:59 AM NHFT
Could be this:

http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=3928.0

bush just met with the UN the other day.

That sounds more like it. Between this and the "universal declaration of human rights" that will number and track all people, I don't know how much longer we'll have educational freedom without being called "child abusers" for homeschooling.  :o

error

Quote from: Michael Fisher on September 22, 2006, 09:03 PM NHFT
Between this and the "universal declaration of human rights" that will number and track all people, I don't know how much longer we'll have educational freedom without being called "child abusers" for homeschooling.  :o

Personally I consider it child abuse to send your children to government indoctrination centers, er, schools.

Michael Fisher

America's future:

German Parents Wanting to Homeschool Turn to EU Court
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,2165270,00.html

A Hamburg family wanting to homeschool their children have been forced to flee the country in what lawyers say is not a unique case in Germany. Parents are now turning to the European Court of Human Rights for help.