• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Lauren Canario arrested in New London

Started by Kat Kanning, September 22, 2006, 10:16 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Peter Borah on September 26, 2006, 10:53 PM NHFT
Not bashing FTL, I listen every night and it's a huge success from a libertarian standpoint...

Thank you. And no, FTL is not in the right-wing-nutcake-talk-radio industry as far as I am aware.

Quote from: lildog on September 27, 2006, 08:38 AM NHFT
Lauren did accomplish getting this back on people's minds... now you all need to actually take advantage of that.  Having the conversation turn to whether or not Lauren is mentally competent (And I'm talking the public conversations, the conversations here are irrelevant) distracts from the key argument that the public should be having.

We're doing the best we can to both:
1) Get the issue into the spotlight through her imprisonment; and
2) Get her out of jail.

But, you're right, some of us should be doing more. For example, there was a Communist News Network (CNN) show special the other night about New London and eminent domain. There were shots of Lauren's apartment and the other homes. One of the Fort Trumbull victims were interviewed, but nobody talked about Lauren.

How could a Fort Trumbull victim possibly not know about Lauren? Aren't they the first ones to learn about these things?
???

ljoss

Terrible news   >:(

I salute Lauren for her bravery, but I'm very sorry she has to go through this.

Also, has that guy John posted the lyrics to the song he wrote about Lauren? He should definitely make an album, I know I would buy it!!!

KBCraig

Quote from: DadaOrwell on September 27, 2006, 08:58 AM NHFT
The judge who sentenced Lauren...where is his office located?

She hasn't been sentenced. It's even worse than sentencing -- it's an administrative order with no trial or finding of fact.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on September 27, 2006, 10:08 AM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on September 27, 2006, 08:58 AM NHFT
The judge who sentenced Lauren...where is his office located?

She hasn't been sentenced. It's even worse than sentencing -- it's an administrative order with no trial or finding of fact.

So Kevin, do you know how to bring the systems attention to the clearly abusive treatment this judge is doling out? Any insight how to give a little grief back through the system?

slim

I wonder if the citizens can request that the judge be put through a Mental evaluation like Lauren??? I think that if the judge has that power then he should prove that he is mentally sound first.

lildog

Quote from: slim on September 27, 2006, 01:44 PM NHFT
I wonder if the citizens can request that the judge be put through a Mental evaluation like Lauren??? I think that if the judge has that power then he should prove that he is mentally sound first.

Hmmm... how about a constitutional ammendment that judges be required to have evaluations every few years.   ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: Roger Grant on September 27, 2006, 11:53 AM NHFT
So Kevin, do you know how to bring the systems attention to the clearly abusive treatment this judge is doling out? Any insight how to give a little grief back through the system?

So long as we have a system that treats judges like True Prophets, no, I don't. Everyone --executive, legislative, citizen-- has become conditioned to believe that whatever a judge says is the final word (except for what more judges have to say about it).

It's long past time to return to, "Mr. Chief Justice has made his ruling; now let him enforce it."

Kevin

Tom Sawyer

I thought this guy might have had troubles before...

Topic: Judicial Misconduct
Article Title: Judge?s Remarks Become a Case for High Court
Author: Lynne Tuohy
Publication: Hartford Courant
September 22, 2004
Article reports that the Connecticut Supreme Court has upheld a conviction by a trial judge who mocked the defendant and increased his sentence based on a story about the case that the judge had read in a newspaper. After Eric Molnar was convicted for first-degree kidnapping and other charges, the Hartford Advocate published an article about the case. New Britain Superior Court Judge Kevin McMahon brought the article with him on Molnar?s sentencing date, had it marked as a court exhibit, and said that he had changed the sentence range he was considering after he read the article. Judge McMahon then said ? . . . you?re the chump that?s going to jail,? and ?[l]augh at him. [h]e?s a loser.? In upholding the conviction, the state Supreme Court concluded that Judge McMahon?s impartiality was not compromised, but it will consider misconduct charges against him for his use of language.

Incrementalist

Quote from: Michael Fisher on September 26, 2006, 09:20 PM NHFT
Quote from: Incrementalist on September 26, 2006, 09:10 PM NHFT
To summarize your points, I "clearly know nothing of what <I> speak", and FTL is "one of the most famous radio shows in the industry".

There's really no reason to respond, as you're doing a lovely job of burying yourself.

Did I say it's one of the most famous talk radio shows in every talk radio industry in the world?  ::)

Le moi est ha?ssable.

There's multiple radio industries?  When one talks about the radio industry, they're talking about the industry of doing radio.  Perhaps you meant radio market. Of course, even if you meant radio market, I'd post what I posted above.

Incrementalist

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 26, 2006, 09:38 PM NHFT
Not really.  While Mike Fisher might be hyping us, claiming FTL is international is not "overhyping" nor is it hyping.  It's an accurate statement.  Here's proof: http://map.freetalklive.com

I never claimed that you're not technically an international show.  I appreciate FTL as a great niche show for libertarians.  But calling FTL "one of the most famous radio shows in the industry" is patent overhyping.

QuoteSo congrats, you're a "professional campaign manager".  What successful pro-liberty campaigns have you been behind?

Unfortunately, due to the fact that I've been behind many high profile races, I came here anonymously to offer political advice to pro-liberty candidates in NH.

Pat K

We need a seperate radio wrestling thread.

Incrementalist

Quote from: Michael Fisher on September 26, 2006, 09:51 PM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 26, 2006, 09:38 PM NHFT
Not really.  While Mike Fisher might be hyping us, claiming FTL is international is not "overhyping" nor is it hyping.  It's an accurate statement.  Here's proof: http://map.freetalklive.com

So congrats, you're a "professional campaign manager".  What successful pro-liberty campaigns have you been behind?

I am not hyping you. Show me any of your direct competitors that even come close to your success.

Perhaps FTL is the preeminent hardcore libertarian radio show out there, but when you talk market competition you are talking all the radio shows sharing a time slot with FTL that also share a primary market demographic.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Roger Grant on September 27, 2006, 06:15 PM NHFT
I thought this guy might have had troubles before...

Topic: Judicial Misconduct
Article Title: Judge?s Remarks Become a Case for High Court
Author: Lynne Tuohy
Publication: Hartford Courant
September 22, 2004
Article reports that the Connecticut Supreme Court has upheld a conviction by a trial judge who mocked the defendant and increased his sentence based on a story about the case that the judge had read in a newspaper. After Eric Molnar was convicted for first-degree kidnapping and other charges, the Hartford Advocate published an article about the case. New Britain Superior Court Judge Kevin McMahon brought the article with him on Molnar?s sentencing date, had it marked as a court exhibit, and said that he had changed the sentence range he was considering after he read the article. Judge McMahon then said ? . . . you?re the chump that?s going to jail,? and ?[l]augh at him. [h]e?s a loser.? In upholding the conviction, the state Supreme Court concluded that Judge McMahon?s impartiality was not compromised, but it will consider misconduct charges against him for his use of language.

This is, probably, less a decision and more like acting off a set of instructions, one of which says: 'When the prisoner fails to communicate in any way, a mental competence examination is required'.

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

Jim told us that the judge was acting like a jerk in the courtroom.