• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Lauren Canario arrested in New London

Started by Kat Kanning, September 22, 2006, 10:16 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Here's an initial draft. Please approve any quotes under your name or it will be removed from the press release before going out. I'd like Dave Ridley to be quoted in this one as well, and I want a paragraph about Russell's recent arrest. Suggestions are welcome.

Contacts:
  Michael Fisher, --clipped--
  Kat Dillon, --clipped--

From NHFree.com
INITIAL DRAFT COPY - DO NOT RELEASE

Protests After Eminent-Domain Resister Jailed, Officer 'Victimized'

NEW LONDON, CT, Sep. 24, 2006 - Anti-eminent-domain protestors held "Free Lauren Canario" signs at the city jail Saturday after she was arrested for sitting down in an attempt to prevent the boarding up of Fort Trumbull homes that were recently seized by the City of New London.

Eminent domain protestor Lauran Canario was arrested Friday, "because she was sitting outside her old place in New London and refused to leave when they were boarding the place up," according to Kat Dillon, one of the protestors and a liberty activist with the New Hampshire Underground (NHFree.com).

The arrest was videotaped by Canario's husband of 28 years, Jim Johnson. The video allegedly shows two police officers dragging her away, then leaving her on her knees in the street at one point. She was evidently arrested by Lt. Ackley who claimed in a Friday phone call that she "victimized" him during the arrest. "I hurt my back when I had to drag her off the floor," he asserted.

Canario was also arrested during a town meeting last September and charged with criminal trespass, refusal to be fingerprinted, and interfering with police.  For several weeks, she left the court, judge, and police in disarray over her refusal to speak or walk when commanded to do so.  "I don't know what to do with this," Judge Hillary Strackbein said during Canario's second silent court appearance last year. Canario was eventually released and sentenced to time served.

Her strategies of "nonviolent noncooperation" seem unchanged from last year, when Johnson announced, "I support nonviolent noncooperation one hundred percent, and I support Lauren's actions one thousand percent."

"Lauren is a hero in the eyes of many of us. The only thing the government can do is let her go, and one day they will realize this. As before, her actions are negligible relative to the punishment the state has prepared for her," remarked Michael Fisher, a New Hampshire liberty activist. "Why don't they just let her go?"

Several members of the New Hampshire Underground (NHFree.com) who made the trip to the city jail Saturday said that visitors were not allowed to see Canario. Rumors that the New London Development Corporation requested the arrest are unverified.

Fort Trumbull residents were forced to leave their homes after the New London Development Corporation legally seized the properties, with the subsequent approval of the U.S. Supreme Court. The remaining families moved out of their homes in August, and the city has apparently left the neighborhood in place for the foreseeable future.

In a WFSB interview this Friday, Johnson explained, "for the city to just take their house and not do anything with it, and now, as an empty shell, just to have homeless people move into it, it must be completely frustrating, angering."

Anyone seeking more up-to-date information about the arrest may visit www.NHFree.com.

# # #

Contacts:  Michael Fisher, --clipped--; Kat Dillon, --clipped--
E-mail:  --clipped-- or --clipped--
Web:  www.NHFree.com
Discussion:  http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=5380.0
Blog:  http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2006/09/23/one-arrested-in-new-london-eminent-domain-protest/

From NHFree.com
INITIAL DRAFT COPY - DO NOT RELEASE

Contacts:
  Michael Fisher, --clipped--
  Kat Dillon, --clipped--

Michael Fisher

I need to sleep.  Too... much... work... :atlas:

error

Her name is spelled "Lauren Canario." Needs to be fixed in the second paragraph.

There's also an issue with "Lt. Ackley." According to the New London Police Department web site, Lt. Ackley is Lt. Margaret Ackley, one of three shift commanders who may answer that same phone line. Could this have been one of the other two, Lt. Steven Crowley or Lt. Marshal "Chip" Segar?

John

Sorry I didn't make it to CT yesterday.
To those who did: Thank you!

Tom Sawyer

Great job, everyone. :)
Nice to see Jim smiling in the picture.

Kat Kanning

I was wrong about where she got arrested. It wasn't at her old place.  She was arrested at Michael Cristafaro's home, which was being boarded up so that the homeless could not use the stolen building.

Lloyd Danforth

The Pig is just setting himself up for a little comp time

John

Quote from: freedominnh on September 24, 2006, 07:34 AM NHFT
Lauren takes the mime intimidation strategy to new heights.

Lauren is the mother of silent protests.

John

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 24, 2006, 07:44 AM NHFT
The Pig is just setting himself up for a little comp time

Pig.
I don't usualy use that word to describe people - but here it sounds well deserved.

Lloyd Danforth

John

Dave Ridley

Mike I don't think you need a quote from me on this release. I haven't even been to new london yet.

Dave Ridley

Once you're repaired the factual errors someone else pointed out above, i'd say it's ready to go.  Just concentrate on sending it out.

Francisck

I'm from new jersey if i call to protest this, would it help at all?

Russell Kanning

Of course .... I live in NH and I can have an effect. I am begging people from long distance to call the city of New London. :)

If each of us call an office every day, they will feel the support for Lauren. :)