• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Anti-REAL-ID ad idea

Started by mlorrey, September 25, 2006, 10:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mlorrey

I've come up with a concept for an ad to really drive home to people what REAL-ID is about. Let me know what you think. I adapted the idea from an ad campaign running in The Guardian over in Britain to oppose their national ID program:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rocketman

This looks like an ad idea that would alienate 90% of the people we're trying to educate.  There are plenty of moderate, principled, simple arguments that blow Real ID out of the water.  Every real human being who takes the time to understand Real ID opposes it.  The only NH citizens who are for Real ID and don't work for the government are people who are simply uninformed and/or misinformed.

Mike, are you being facetious, or ironical, or something?

Rocketman

Actually it would look great in the Keene Free Press, or on many websites... I just wouldn't put it in the Union-Leader.

mlorrey

Quote from: Rocketman on September 25, 2006, 10:40 PM NHFT
This looks like an ad idea that would alienate 90% of the people we're trying to educate.  There are plenty of moderate, principled, simple arguments that blow Real ID out of the water.  Every real human being who takes the time to understand Real ID opposes it.  The only NH citizens who are for Real ID and don't work for the government are people who are simply uninformed and/or misinformed.

Mike, are you being facetious, or ironical, or something?

Eh, I thought it was funny. The orginal one across the pond uses a pic of Tony Blair, and is sponsored by the Liberal Party and NO2ID

Labour is , of course, pissed, and trotted out some token holocaust survivors to condemn it..

Now, many of you know that I've been softer on Bush than most others here, but REAL-ID really has me stoked, particularly how Bush got Gregg to twist arms at the State Senate.

My point is that most people don't "take the time to understand Real ID". They need a punch in the gut ad to really hammer the point across as to what national IDs are about.

It should really hit home given that Bush's grandaddy was pro-Nazi.

Kat Kanning

I like the ad.  Do you have a clearer photo of Bush?

mlorrey

Quote from: Kat Kanning on September 26, 2006, 02:35 AM NHFT
I like the ad.  Do you have a clearer photo of Bush?

I couldn't find one online through google images. This is from a graduation ceremony he attended. The only pic I could find where he was waving with his hand up in the air but with a serious face. Usually he's got that dumb monkey grin on... maybe I'll contact the photographer for a higher res image... The image I posted is 60% of the size of my original one (the size limits of the uploader here).

d_goddard

This looks like an ad idea that would alienate 90% of the people we're trying to educate.
Bingo.

if you actually want to defeat real-id, show (somehow) an Islamic terrorist paying $10,000 for a "real" ID that lets him get onto an airplane and blow it up... with a TSA agent checking the ID saying "yeah, this is a Real-ID, so he must be safe"

error

Indeed; the terrorists had "real" IDs, too. Karma for you. :)

d_goddard

Quote from: error on September 26, 2006, 11:38 AM NHFT
Indeed; the terrorists had "real" IDs, too.
But.. that's what the Washington boys are saying: "the terrorists had valid IDs. We need to make IDs that are impossible to fake!"

They fail to acknowledge that in ANY system run by HUMAN BEINGS, a perfectly valid (but bogus) ID can be had... it's just a matter of how much money t takes to bribe the right people. So they will make fake "Real-IDs" cost $50,000 instead of $50-100 for a fake ID today. That doesn't AT ALL change the number of terrorists that will get them.
THIS is the message we need to send to the conservatives: REAL-ID is monetarily expensive and WILL NOT stop terrorists.

Rocketman

This is an issue where we need to win, right away, and by using the political process.

$11 billion is a lot to pay for a false sense of security.  Even lemmings who care nothing for liberty or privacy will be persuaded by this and other moderate-sounding arguments.

mlorrey

Quote from: d_goddard on September 26, 2006, 11:54 AM NHFT
Quote from: error on September 26, 2006, 11:38 AM NHFT
Indeed; the terrorists had "real" IDs, too.
But.. that's what the Washington boys are saying: "the terrorists had valid IDs. We need to make IDs that are impossible to fake!"

They fail to acknowledge that in ANY system run by HUMAN BEINGS, a perfectly valid (but bogus) ID can be had... it's just a matter of how much money t takes to bribe the right people. So they will make fake "Real-IDs" cost $50,000 instead of $50-100 for a fake ID today. That doesn't AT ALL change the number of terrorists that will get them.
THIS is the message we need to send to the conservatives: REAL-ID is monetarily expensive and WILL NOT stop terrorists.

I agree that that is the message we need to send to moderate republicans, who only care about money. Conservatives care about government coming for their guns, stopping their kids from praying and enabling them to go get an abortion without their permission. Conservative gun owners all know that the holocaust happened because the Nazis took the Jews guns, and did it with a national ID and registration system.

d_goddard

Quote from: mlorrey on September 26, 2006, 01:29 PM NHFT
Conservative gun owners all know that the holocaust happened because the Nazis took the Jews guns, and did it with a national ID and registration system.
Yep... and I call those conservatives "people who have learned 80% of libertarianism and just need a little help to come the rest of the way" :)
I wish people on this board were not so knee-jerk anti-conservative. There are many people anmong them, who could just just a little help.

Rocketman

Quote from: d_goddard on September 26, 2006, 02:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: mlorrey on September 26, 2006, 01:29 PM NHFT
Conservative gun owners all know that the holocaust happened because the Nazis took the Jews guns, and did it with a national ID and registration system.
Yep... and I call those conservatives "people who have learned 80% of libertarianism and just need a little help to come the rest of the way" :)
I wish people on this board were not so knee-jerk anti-conservative. There are many people anmong them, who could just just a little help.

Yes, and you know Rocketman will chime in and say the same thing applies to liberals.   ;D

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: d_goddard on September 26, 2006, 06:56 AM NHFT
This looks like an ad idea that would alienate 90% of the people we're trying to educate.
Bingo.

if you actually want to defeat real-id, show (somehow) an Islamic terrorist paying $10,000 for a "real" ID that lets him get onto an airplane and blow it up... with a TSA agent checking the ID saying "yeah, this is a Real-ID, so he must be safe"

Great Idea!

error

The point is that that's exactly what happened. They bribed Virginia DMV workers to give them real IDs, and the REAL ID Act wouldn't do anything to stop this. Terrorists would get perfectly legitimate, "impossible to fake" REAL IDs, because the underlying problem hadn't even been glanced at, let alone solved. Then again, who in Washington is going to look in the mirror?