• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

A license to watch TV?

Started by Kat Kanning, September 26, 2006, 04:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Dwarf.......oops, there I go being superior again!

Pat K

Lloyd Danforth

No, there is a difference.  Its sort of like someone referring to you and I as a couple of heavy dudes verses a pair of fat fuckers

Pat K

Well if you want to say that to feel superior go ahead. :)

Lloyd Danforth

Aparently, I already was before I said that ;D

Pat K

Well good for you, ya Fat Fucker. :)

tracysaboe

Quote from: Pat K on September 27, 2006, 04:11 PM NHFT
I watched Boston Legal last night ,it was good and I had no licence.

Beware the killer midget's !

Can't stand cop shows.

TRacy

Lloyd Danforth

Michael Fisher

Sounds like a cop show to me.

TV is bleh, in any case.  :P :icon_crashcomp:

Michael Fisher

Quote from: aries on September 27, 2006, 05:45 AM NHFT
Quote from: Michael Fisher on September 26, 2006, 09:01 PM NHFT
His comparison does not make any sense. TV licensing is far more absurd than firearms licensing

No it's not, if anything it's less. Firearms ownership is an expressed right, at least in America, whereas TV Ownership is a right implied within the 9th amendment.

Yes, from our perspective, it's more absurd to take guns, though we expect our guns to be taken first.

Please allow me to explain this in statist terms so that it can be understood:

"A firearm goes bang when someone pulls the trigger and people kill people with them, so firearms must be bad; thus, let's ban them!"  ::)

A TV... does nothing. No, really. Even if you push all the buttons, nothing happens. It just shows things -- sometimes bad things -- and then eventually stops working one day.

Besides the theoretical radiation levels, I have no idea what the excuse was for them to license TVs. It's probably because most of European government has gone beyond public-health-justification territory and into because-I-said-so territory. I assume Europeans do not care about anything the government does if they're willing to allow even TV licensing to occur.  :P

Dreepa

Quote from: tracysaboe on September 27, 2006, 07:29 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on September 27, 2006, 04:11 PM NHFT
I watched Boston Legal last night ,it was good and I had no licence.

Beware the killer midget's !

Can't stand cop shows.

TRacy
It is the next step down.. lawyer show.

Pat K

KBCraig

It is funny. And I don't remember there ever being a cop on it, except maybe in a background shot.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Kat Kanning on September 26, 2006, 04:40 PM NHFT
If I didn't own a television, why on earth should it be incumbent on me to tell the authorities? Do the people who licence firearms expect non-firearms owners to tell them that don't have any rifles in the cupboard? How long before non-motorists have to ring up Swansea and confess that they don't own a car? Where would this insanity, this intrusion, this downright insolence stop?

His comparison does not make any sense. TV licensing is far more absurd than firearms licensing -- the absurdity of it is incomprehensible! The insanity is already far out of control, and it will stop at nothing.

I think it is less a license and more like a fee.  At least in the early days of TV, there were no commercials on British TV and the fee went towards supporting the BBC.

eques

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 29, 2006, 07:34 AM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on September 26, 2006, 04:40 PM NHFT
If I didn't own a television, why on earth should it be incumbent on me to tell the authorities? Do the people who licence firearms expect non-firearms owners to tell them that don't have any rifles in the cupboard? How long before non-motorists have to ring up Swansea and confess that they don't own a car? Where would this insanity, this intrusion, this downright insolence stop?

His comparison does not make any sense. TV licensing is far more absurd than firearms licensing -- the absurdity of it is incomprehensible! The insanity is already far out of control, and it will stop at nothing.

I think it is less a license and more like a fee.  At least in the early days of TV, there were no commercials on British TV and the fee went towards supporting the BBC.

I think it most resembles a property tax.  The government is requiring a fee for something you own outright (though I realize that land is a slightly different commodity than television sets, the net effect is similar--you end up paying tax on something you own rather than on consumption or income).