• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

So, it's the dead of winter, and the power goes out.

Started by FTL_Ian, September 28, 2006, 02:43 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

cathleeninnh

Quote from: KBCraig on September 28, 2006, 05:33 PM NHFT
The transfer switch is especially important, so you don't backfeed the grid and kill a lineman.

Kevin

Our PSNH bill this month included a directive to register all generators with them so they can come inspect the setup.

Cathleen

error

The sort of generators you're likely to see down South are much more portable than that.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: cathleeninnh on September 28, 2006, 05:51 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on September 28, 2006, 05:33 PM NHFT
The transfer switch is especially important, so you don't backfeed the grid and kill a lineman.

Kevin

Our PSNH bill this month included a directive to register all generators with them so they can come inspect the setup.

Cathleen

They want to make sure your connection to their lines is broken , when your generator is running, so your generator doesn't kill them.

Otosan

With Global Warming....why are ya worried about the cold?   :o ??? ;D

CNHT

My generator, the one that ran the electricity for the Real ID rally, is wired into the board in my house and there is a specific procedure for turning it on which I don't know how to do.

Otherwise, it gets plugged in right in the garage, rolled out to the driveway, and the door can come down most of the way, and I am able to pull start it, and then it will run the water (to flush the toilets) and some lights, the furnace and my fridge without fumes near the house. It is common to hear several running in the whole neighborhood.

Only once during a -20 temperature drop did we ever have a problem when some homes lost power for 3 days and their walls cracked.
I've only ever lost it for 6 hours and not recently.

However, I hope it doesn't happen again, because I don't know how to turn it on the proper way without screwing up the board in the cellar....my painter knows and so I suppose if called him he could come over and set it up for me.

Dreepa

My house lost power for 6 minutes yesterday.

I had a long talk with the solar panel people today.
Once it is up and running (late spring probably) I can have the power go out for a long time.

No that I want to do it but... can I force PSNH to take that line off of my house?

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Dreepa on September 28, 2006, 09:49 PM NHFT

Once it is up and running (late spring probably) I can have the power go out for a long time.

No that I want to do it but... can I force PSNH to take that line off of my house?

No.

AlanM

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on September 28, 2006, 10:44 PM NHFT

No.

I believe you are wrong on this one, Keith. If you are not using their power it has always been that you can require them to remove their equipment from your property.

FTL_Ian

Website?  Is solar much good in NH?

KBCraig

Quote from: AlanM on September 28, 2006, 10:46 PM NHFT

No.

I believe you are wrong on this one, Keith. If you are not using their power it has always been that you can require them to remove their equipment from your property.

I don't know the legal particulars here, but let me chime in... whether or not you can force PSNH to cut all ties to your house, it's a good thing to remain connected. For starters, you can sell any surplus energy back to PSNH (and they're obliged to take it... downside of being a government monopoly!)

And for  practical reasons, there are seasonal/weather/etc. variations that make off-grid solutions undesireable. You don't want to be in the position of begging PSNH to reconnect you because your generator is out of fuel and the clouds are frustrating your solar panels.

Kevin

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: CNHT on September 28, 2006, 07:59 PM NHFT
My generator, the one that ran the electricity for the Real ID rally, is wired into the board in my house and there is a specific procedure for turning it on which I don't know how to do.

Otherwise, it gets plugged in right in the garage, rolled out to the driveway, and the door can come down most of the way, and I am able to pull start it, and then it will run the water (to flush the toilets) and some lights, the furnace and my fridge without fumes near the house. It is common to hear several running in the whole neighborhood.

Only once during a -20 temperature drop did we ever have a problem when some homes lost power for 3 days and their walls cracked.

However, I hope it doesn't happen again, because I don't know how to turn it on the proper way without screwing up the board in the cellar....my painter knows and so I suppose if called him he could come over and set it up for me.

Why don't you practice starting and running it?

CNHT

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 29, 2006, 07:24 AM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on September 28, 2006, 07:59 PM NHFT

Why don't you practice starting and running it?

I can roll it out, start it up, just fine as it's easy since Jack put gas in it after the Real ID rally. It's the order in which you connect it to the circuit board that I don't understand. My husband had made directions and laminated them for me, but I can't find those now. The wiring is right there in the corner of the garage and you just plug it in. But then you have to do something in the cellar and that's the important part that I don't remember and I know it can blow out the whole system or do some other damage so I have never attempted it.

Hubby was an engineer so he took care of all these things. I have everything pretty much under control now, either by learning how to do it or by hiring someone, except for that.

Dreepa

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 28, 2006, 11:19 PM NHFT

Website?  Is solar much good in NH?
Yes.
There is actually a growing number of solar powered homes in the state.
I spoke with a woman who promotes solar power.  She said that she is disappointed that there aren't big rebates in NH for getting solar power.  She was a little shocked when I said good.
Once I meet with the contractors I will be happy to share all info with those who want.

Dreepa

Quote from: KBCraig on September 29, 2006, 02:30 AM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on September 28, 2006, 10:46 PM NHFT

No.

I don't know the legal particulars here, but let me chime in... whether or not you can force PSNH to cut all ties to your house, it's a good thing to remain connected. For starters, you can sell any surplus energy back to PSNH (and they're obliged to take it... downside of being a government monopoly!)

And for  practical reasons, there are seasonal/weather/etc. variations that make off-grid solutions undesireable. You don't want to be in the position of begging PSNH to reconnect you because your generator is out of fuel and the clouds are frustrating your solar panels.

Kevin
Oh I know.. .and I plan on 'netmetering' to sell any extra power to PSNH.  I wanna see that dial spin backwards.

FTL_Ian