• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keeping the ports safe... from internet gambling?

Started by KBCraig, September 30, 2006, 06:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20060930/2006-09-30T003934Z_01_N29416194_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-SECURITY-CONGRESS-DC.html

Internet gambling ban added to U.S. port security bill

Sep 29, 8:39 PM (ET)

By Susan Cornwell

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congress was pushing on Friday to finish legislation that would boost security at U.S. ports, but at the last minute lawmakers added provisions to prohibit Internet gambling.

Rushing to finish their work by the weekend to go home and campaign for elections in which control of Congress is at stake, lawmakers were linking up unrelated measures in an effort to get them approved.

The House passed an Internet gambling ban earlier this summer, but the bill had difficulty moving in the Senate. However it was a priority of Senate Republican Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee, and attaching it to the popular port security bill appeared aimed at insuring its passage.

Votes were expected by midnight Friday in both the Senate and the House of Representatives.

(snip rest)

Rifkinn

What is wrong with voting on one item at a time. Adding unrelated items together has never made any sense to me...

error

I haven't seen a Senate vote on the ports bill, which leads me to believe they'll vote on it after getting back from the campaign trail in November.

aries

Quote from: Rifkinn on September 30, 2006, 06:38 PM NHFT
What is wrong with voting on one item at a time. Adding unrelated items together has never made any sense to me...

It's a way to pass items where there might not exactly be a majority in favor