• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Opposing individual perps rather than institutions

Started by Dave Ridley, October 02, 2006, 07:23 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

lildog

Quote from: Spencer on October 02, 2006, 10:46 PM NHFT
How about a Michael Moore style documentary involving Pfizer and its executives?

A Moore style documentary?  So you want a movie full of lies, half truths and editing to make things appear differently then they were in reality?

Spencer

Quote from: lildog on October 03, 2006, 10:30 AM NHFT
Quote from: Spencer on October 02, 2006, 10:46 PM NHFT
How about a Michael Moore style documentary involving Pfizer and its executives?

A Moore style documentary?  So you want a movie full of lies, half truths and editing to make things appear differently then they were in reality?

Not necessarily.

By a Moore-style documentary, I meant something involving the "little guy" confronting the big, bad corporate CEO (as in "Roger & Me," although in that movie the real villains were the Michigan and Flint governments; although Moore didn't portray things that way).

Just because Moore isn't terribly ethical in his presentation doesn't mean that the methods he uses in confronting folks aren't useful to causes like ours.

Dave Ridley

btw to clarify i think what the guys in new london are talking about is targetting people who are behind the scenes more than just politicians, since they are most afraid of being targetted.  they said they try to take pictures of new people who come to work for the NLDC secretly.

also they said it helps if you can make everyone who works there uncomfortable so they are always losing secretaries and other minor staff.  it costs them money.

David

The civil rights movement, and even greenpeace have historically been very effective at targeting business that in their view are doing objectible things.  Once the business meets a set of demands, they then endorse them and end the boycotts. 
I would love to see business' stop funding politicians.  but the root of the problem, and the reason why campaign finance reform will NEVER work, is that gov't can effectively put businesses out of business.  The money funding the pols. is actually a form of self defence. 
Although the liberal groups have used this tactic very effectively. 
;D  Although he probably did not intend to point out the eficiancy and effectiveness of the free market, in one of his writings Dr. King noted the surprising ease at which they receive cooperation from the targeted businesses!

Michael Fisher

Quote from: DadaOrwell on October 02, 2006, 07:23 AM NHFT
One of the New london resisters had an idea I wanted to pass along...

He says we all ought to rethink the idea of just speaking out against institutions and companie...he thinks it's better to single out key individuals.   He says only a tiny number of people are really behind the eminent domain abuse in most places, so they should be named and focused on, rather than the coprs or bureaucracies which they hide behind.   What do you guys think of that idea?

It is a very effective and negative method of change that I will not oppose as long as only nonviolent, honest social pressure is used.

However, each of us must ask ourselves if our enemies are systems and methods, or men? And is our fight negative and destructive or positive and creative?

It all depends on your personal preferences.