• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Berlin mill to be razed

Started by KBCraig, October 04, 2006, 02:54 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Fraser papers found a buyer for the Berlin mill site. They'll scrap it out, except for the tallest smokestack and the cogenerator plant.

Bully for all parties. Fraser found a buyer, the buyer makes a profit, and Berlin gains some valuable space (things are tight between those valley walls!)

Future of the site is unknown, other than the 25 megawatt generator. Could be industrial, could be residential. Let us pray it's not "converted space", or a green buffer zone.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Berlin+mill+to+vanish&articleId=133e057b-89e6-418a-b699-61b9a6c92f2c

Berlin mill to vanish

By LORNA COLQUHOUN
Union Leader Correspondent

Berlin ? The enormous pulp mill that has loomed over the center of the city was purchased yesterday by the same company that dismantled the remnants of the World Trade Center in New York City following the 2001 terrorist attacks.

North American Dismantling Corp. closed on the deal with owner of the 121-acres site, Fraser Papers, which permanently closed the mill last May, ending a rich era of the region. Officials did not disclose the sale price.

Fraser had been actively seeking a buyer for the property since it announced earlier this year that it would cease pulp operations.

The Michigan-based company plans to dismantle and demolish the mill complex, except for the No. 11 boiler, a soaring 11-story high smoke stack, and the co-generation plant below it. Once the operation begins, it will take about a year to complete.

"This is a very momentous event," said Berlin City Manager J. Patrick McQueen. "Not everyone gets a chance to redefine a city." Company officials were represented by attorney Jack Crisp, who called the sale of the property "a moment of history for the city of Berlin" which is " steeped in history."

"For better or worse, the days of an operating pulp mill have come to an end," he said.

North American Dismantling Corp. began talking with Fraser officials a little over a month ago and were one of several companies that had expressed interest in the property. Crisp said the sale was "on a fast track" and no plans are currently in place for future development of the site.

As the mill complex is taken down, elements of it will be sold or otherwise reused.

But, city officials said, the demolition company has expressed a willingness to work with them in redefining the city once the property is cleared.

Crisp said he has walked the property several times as the sale has proceeded and it was "like walking through history -- you can see parts of the mill that were put there a long time ago."

Not everyone at yesterday afternoon's news conference announcing the sale shared the enthusiasm. Ward 4 City Councilor Paul Grenier, who has lived most of his life on the city's East Side, in the shadow of the pulp mill, said if the city wants redefine itself, the entire complex should be taken down.

"Berlin needs to completely reinvent itself and that's not going to happen by leaving a relic of the 1940s to generate 25 megawatts of electricity," he said. "It's good and bad, but I don't share the enthusiasm in the room."

aries

kind of sad because it's such a landmark

Michael Fisher

At least they openly decided to burn it down.

I have heard of one city outside of New Hampshire possibly burning down its own building for insurance money, and in the past I suspected a town in New Hampshire may have done this as well.

All the bureaucratic whining about certain buildings, before they mysteriously burn down (by arson), could all be coincidence. There's insufficient evidence to even warrant an investigation of the New Hampshire town at this point. The other city's case may warrant an investigation.

mikenkim

Todays paper said they pulled out tons of historical papers from the mill before they began demo on the mill, glad to see, many generations of the husbands family had worked their. Jim Wagner said all the documents will be sorted through and sent to Concord to the State historical society. The  Place is going to seem empty without the old stacks in view. Had an odd kind of romatic feel to it on a moonlite night looking down the Androscoggin at it. Don't miss the stink though...

Can thank the Canadian gov't for that one closeing, Fraser was going to close one of their Quebec plants and the Canadain gov't stepped in and offered to subsidize the Quebec facility..so they closed Berlin, and Berlin to keep their Canadian pulp mill going, despite Berlin made the best pulp for paper in the US and Canada.  Go figure! 
Lucky for us, my husband Mike works in the Cascade plant in Gorham.
...Kim

KBCraig

Welcome to the Underground, Kim (and Mike!).

Glad to see more North Country folks posting. It's been a long time since we've heard from Steve Villee, from Berlin.

I know you said Mike works in Gorham; where do you live? We're aiming for Lancaster, but Jefferson and Groveton are also on our list.

Kevin

Pat McCotter

Steve is still active physically. He goes to events no matter where they are in NH.

mikenkim

Hi KB Craig,
                  Mike and I live on the outskirts of Berlin by Jericho Lake. We hope one day we'll be able to make a move to Stark or the Lancaster area, so it's funny you mention Lancaster, but the homes are so much more expensive out that way and what we have now is paid for and taking on a new home loan with how unstable the mill is, is a tad hard to swallow at the moment..
The name Steve Villee sounds familiar, and we are well acquainted with Ron Roy..if you know him? He does alot of campaigning for Ed Mears and the libertarian party. 

Where are you all from, if you don't mind me asking?

Kim.

KBCraig

Kim, we live in northeast Texas at the moment.

We pretty much fell in love with Lancaster when we were up there in June. Can't wait to visit again, and really can't wait to move "home" and stop visiting.

Kevin

mikenkim

Kevin,
           Lancaster area is nice. Moving is expensive, but when you do make the move, I'm sure you'll be happy with your selection on areas. Were up that way alot, do most of our business up that way.
Nice meeting you soon to be neighbor...Need any help with the area give us a shout.

Dreepa

Hey Kim,

Mind if I ask how you found this board?

mikenkim

Quote from: Dreepa on January 18, 2007, 10:31 AM NHFT
Hey Kim,

Mind if I ask how you found this board?

No, I was researching NH militia history and came across the link and found it interesting. I enjoy reading all view points from all walks of life.