• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

MPP is hiring an organizer in NH

Started by Eli, October 06, 2006, 07:42 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Eli

I know someone on this list could fill this position.

http://www.mpp.org/site/c.glKZLeMQIsG/b.1675289/apps/nl/content2.asp?content_id={6406DAD3-1F28-4A75-85F7-19D641CC2D57}&notoc=1

Organizers to Build Coalitions to Tax and Regulate Marijuana in Four States

Application deadline: Please note that interviews are being conducted on a rolling basis. This posting will be removed as the positions are filled.

The Marijuana Policy Project seeks four experienced community and/or political organizers to build statewide coalitions in support of taxing and regulating marijuana (similarly to alcohol) in Arizona, Delaware, Idaho, and New Hampshire.

MPP seeks one organizer per state. An applicant need not have lived in the state where he or she hopes to do organizing, but the applicant must be willing to move to the state.

Specifically, MPP is seeking individuals who can:

* Build a coalition of "grasstops" supporters ? local organizations, statewide organizations, and in-state opinion leaders ? who endorse the desired change in state law;
    * Identify grassroots supporters of marijuana policy reform and keep a database of such supporters;
    * Organize both grasstops and grassroots supporters to write op-eds and letters-to-the-editor, organize and attend demonstrations, distribute leaflets, write to lawmakers, and meet with lawmakers;
    * Generate favorable news coverage; and
    * Pass local bills and/or initiatives to demonstrate to state legislators that the public supports marijuana policy reform.

Interested applicants must demonstrate exceptional oral communications skills, the ability to work independently, a high level of organization, and a professional appearance. Experience with managing volunteers is a plus.

Each organizer will receive a $60,000 grant from MPP's grants program to cover his or her salary and expenses.

Please see our job application process to apply for one of the four statewide organizer positions.

MPP is an equal opportunity employer. There are 20 staffers in MPP's D.C. office, two staffers in California, one in Nevada, and one in Vermont. With more than 19,000 members and 120,000 e-mail subscribers nationwide, MPP is the largest marijuana policy reform organization in the United States. We work to minimize the harm associated with marijuana ? both the consumption of marijuana and the laws that are intended to prohibit its use ? and believe that the greatest harm associated with marijuana is imprisonment. For more information about the organization, please visit www.mpp.org.

Thank you for your interest.

aworldnervelink

Quote from: Eli on October 06, 2006, 07:42 AM NHFT
Please note that interviews are being conducted on a rolling basis.

Am I the only one who found this sentence hilarious?

KBCraig

Quote from: aworldnervelink on October 06, 2006, 07:17 PM NHFT
Please note that interviews are being conducted on a rolling basis.

Am I the only one who found this sentence hilarious?

You and anyone who had already rolled one.  ;D

Dave Ridley

I'm confused, how many people total are they hiring in New Hampshire?

Fluff and Stuff

Dreepa

MPP seeks one organizer per state. An applicant need not have lived in the state where he or she hopes to do organizing, but the applicant must be willing to move to the state.

FSPinNY

I recall that this, or a similar position with MPP, went unfilled in NH about a year ago.

I hope one of you Porcs will apply for this!  :icon_pirat:

FTL_Ian

I wish the MPP would stop with this tax and regulate crap.  I do NOT want pot sold in state run stores like alcohol is around here.   We need to abolish regulation of alcohol and then I'll be okay with regulating pot like alcohol...  NOT AT ALL.   ::)

d_goddard

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 07, 2006, 09:26 PM NHFT
I wish the MPP would stop with this tax and regulate crap.
*sigh*
MPP exists to ACTUALLY SEE CHANGES MADE.
If you're "wishing" in the sense of "wishing for a mountain of chocolate pudding" because it's fun to fantasize, that's fine.
But if you want to see actual lessening of the police state in a less than 5 year timeframe, you should welcome any change in the right direction, lest you simply be a tool for the fascists to justify their existance based on the fears of the uneducated public.

And of course, I do recognize that you are one of the people doing the most to educate the public, Ian. Kudos to you for that!

FTL_Ian

I welcome change in the right direction, but that doesn't mean I'm going to keep my mouth shut and not point out that the MPP's proposed changes go in the wrong direction.

They start out in the right direction by ending prohibition, but instead of stopping there and keeping it simple they have to call for their own version of government control of marijuana.  They are propagating the myth that products need to be controlled by governments.  They are in effect arguing for their own version of prohibition:

I may be prohibited from growing my own marijuana unless I apply for and am granted a grow permit.
I may be prohibited from selling marijuana unless I'm a licensed dealer.
I may be prohibited from smoking marijuana in public.
I may be prohibited from advertising marijuana even if I am a licensed dealer.

(These are educated guesses on what MPP would like to see based on existing laws restricting alcohol and cigarettes.)

I wish they would stop arguing for replacing one enforcement bureaucracy with another.  Replacing the DEA with the Marijuana Regulatory Enforcement Board is not a step in the right direction at all, it's just a transfer of power and perhaps a slight decrease in it. 

d_goddard

That's ahard position to defend, Ian.

I'm not saying I prefer regulation... I am just pointing out that you consider decriminalization-with-regulation (like we have with alcohol and tobacco) to be not noticably different from criminalization, like we have now with MJ, meth, and heroin.

How do you defend that position, given that I can go get a pack of smokes and a fifth of whiskey at the corner store, but to get a joint I have to risk losing my house, my son, and my job?

FTL_Ian

I'm not denying their proposal would be better than pure prohibition, just pointing out the flaws.  And there are many.

I bet MPP would change their tune if they discovered they could get more volunteers by keeping the message simple:

"End prohibition and replace it with nothing."

I know I'd contribute to them if they'd do that.  As of now I don't even bother to read the mail they send me.

Russell Kanning

I know of one person that was applying for this job a while ago. :)

Dave Ridley

I emailed them in oct. at both of their email addies listed, to see if the thing was really stil open.  never heard back.

d_goddard

For the record, the prior head of NHORML is not particularly enthusiastic about MPP; neither is the prior Chairman of the NHLA. Both have told me that the MPP seems geared to big-state propaganda machinery, where a hundred thousand dollars and an army of professional lobbyists are the best chance to get legislation passed. The MPP is, apparently, like a big lumbering army that doesn't know how to deal with "guerrilla politics" like we have here in NH, where paid lobbyists can hurt your cause more than help it.