• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

new property assessment

Started by DC, October 06, 2006, 05:53 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

DC

I just got my property assessment and it is way over the market price. They will let you contest it for one week with a meeting by appointment only. After that I have to file a Taxpayer's RSA 76:16 abatement application to the municipality. I would like to know if I can access what my neighbors houses were assessed at or if that is private information.

It says that I file the taxpayers RSA 76:16 with my municipality and they accept it or deny it. I would also like to know who decides to accept it in my municipality and what recourse I have if they deny it.

FrankChodorov

in Concord you can see the assessment of any resident online...

DC

Quote from: FrankChodorov on October 06, 2006, 06:35 PM NHFT
in Concord you can see the assessment of any resident online...

Thanks Frank. I havn't found that here yet but I will keep looking. I think I will put my house up for sale so it want be much of a problem.

dawn

Property assessments are public record. Winchester is not online but when you go to town hall you can ask the property records clerk for a printed copy of anyone's property card for 50 cents each. I think there may also be a printout of all town properties that you can peruse for free.

Ron Helwig

I know that when I first heard about this stuff, I was able to check out a lot of properties on the Avitar website. If they do the assessments in your town you might be able to do that as well.

Dreepa

There are big books in my town (along with maps).
You can see every property listed.
In fact when the new rates come out in 2 weeks I plan on looking at a bunch of property to make sure that they are assessed at the full rate.

CNHT

Quote from: DC on October 06, 2006, 05:53 PM NHFT
I just got my property assessment and it is way over the market price. They will let you contest it for one week with a meeting by appointment only. After that I have to file a Taxpayer's RSA 76:16 abatement application to the municipality. I would like to know if I can access what my neighbors houses were assessed at or if that is private information.

It says that I file the taxpayers RSA 76:16 with my municipality and they accept it or deny it. I would also like to know who decides to accept it in my municipality and what recourse I have if they deny it.

Who is the assessing company? Avitar? Nyberg/Purvis? Vision?

Avitar and Vision are online.

DC

Quote from: CNHT on October 08, 2006, 07:28 PM NHFT

It"s Bret S. Purvis & Associates. I think I will wait and file the Taxpayer's RSA 76:16 to give myself time to research.

CNHT

Quote from: DC on October 09, 2006, 05:36 PM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on October 08, 2006, 07:28 PM NHFT

It"s Bret S. Purvis & Associates. I think I will wait and file the Taxpayer's RSA 76:16 to give myself time to research.

Ok they've dropped Nyberg. But it's the same people. Make sure they don't have you down for more rooms, bathrooms, fireplaces, jacuzzis and square feet of living space that's finished off than you really do, and also the market value needs to be considered with the assessed value.
Ask to see all your 'cards'.
And what the heck, they don't even have a website like Avitar and Vision do.. Hmm. If it were online you could see it. I often go in and look at neighbor's assessments in the Vision and Avitar sites.