• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Berlin federal prison approved

Started by cathleeninnh, October 13, 2006, 05:32 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Caleb on October 16, 2006, 06:18 PM NHFT
I'm thinking that it isn't hopeless to stop it from happening. We may yet be able to throw a wrench in their plans and stop this horrible facility from being built.  Ideas?

Caleb

Yes, if both of NH Senators said it must not be built, it would not be built.  I suggest that you sent up meeting with them and make sure they decided to put lots of energy into stopping it. 

cathleeninnh

Call me a naysayer, but it seems a bit late to start. This was not a secret. There have been years of discussion, particularly on site approval. After all, you have to actually break some ground to build something and do we really want that? That hurdle crossed, it is gung ho now. Jobs for a gasping town, remember?

Cathleen

maineiac

Conflating Walmarts with federal prisons seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Count me as one of the people who would suggest that people enmployed in the prison industry find other vocations.

I am disgusted and saddened that this government temple is being erected at all, much less within a couple of hundred miles from here.

Quantrill

While this will definitely have a positive economic impact on the area, I don't see much negative coming from this (except yet another federal prison being built  >:( ).  Prison guards by and large seem to be decent people, especially compared to city cops.  Many, not all, are the good guys who realized that being a cop sucks and they wanted to move up the occupational ladder.

I doubt this would affect normal citizens there much, from a freedom-usurping standpoint.  Get the right people in charge of the city.  That's the important thing.  Federal money will take care of the prison.  It's not like the guards will be patrolling the city/county, looking for speeders to pull over. 

Although I must admit, I would love to live in the north country, but would prefer to not be near any federal prisons.  So it looks like Coos county will not be my future home...

Dreepa

Quote from: Quantrill on November 11, 2006, 11:01 AM NHFT
Prison guards by and large seem to be decent people,

Are you trying to be friends with Kevin? ;)

Quote from: Quantrill on November 11, 2006, 11:01 AM NHFT
Although I must admit, I would love to live in the north country, but would prefer to not be near any federal prisons.  So it looks like Coos county will not be my future home...
It is not as if 'they' escapre and terrorize the neighborhood.
Coos is nice.. don't judge it by a future prison.  The problem with Coos is that there aren't that many jobs up there.  Unless you have some sort of telecommuting thing.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Dreepa on November 11, 2006, 11:20 AM NHFT
The problem with Coos is that there aren't that many jobs up there.  Unless you have some sort of telecommuting thing.

Or can make a living in the tourist trade. I hear there is big money in tourists up there. :-X

Lloyd Danforth

The guardstaff will be allowed out

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 12, 2006, 04:13 PM NHFT

Some of whom can be quite terrifying. Or so I hear.

AlanM

Quote from: KBCraig on November 12, 2006, 06:52 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 12, 2006, 04:13 PM NHFT

Some of whom can be quite terrifying. Or so I hear.

Nah! From what I've seen of them they're like Teddy Bears.  ;D

eques

I work with a former prison guard!

He lasted eight and a half years... he would have retired this year, after 20 years... but he opted out.  Said it was making him nasty.

But he's a good guy... granted, it's eleven and a half years hence, but yeah.