• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Wood Stove Operation

Started by Mark_FTL, October 14, 2006, 08:27 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Lauren explained to me the whole male/air flow issue.  ;D

Sweet Mercury

Are wood stoves significantly cheaper than other forms of heating, even if you're buying the wood and not cutting it yourself?

Russell Kanning

I think so. Sometimes it is hard to compare apples and oranges, but for us it is much cheaper at $170/cord delivered to our driveway. :)

Sweet Mercury

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 13, 2006, 02:20 AM NHFT
I think so. Sometimes it is hard to compare apples and oranges, but for us it is much cheaper at $170/cord delivered to our driveway. :)

And how long will a chord last?

slim

Quote from: Sweet Mercury on December 13, 2006, 02:01 PM NHFT

Are you asking about a full chord or a face chord?

It depends on how cold it is. The colder it is the more you will use to heat the home. It also depends on how large the house is and how well insulated the home is.

Also the efficiency of the wood furnace/boiler will depend on how long the cord will last.

Tom Sawyer

A full cord is 4 x 4 x 8 feet...

I heat about 1500 sq ft in a not that well insulated house and use about 6 cords for about 6 months of heating.

Sweet Mercury

Quote from: slim on December 13, 2006, 02:09 PM NHFT
Quote from: Sweet Mercury on December 13, 2006, 02:01 PM NHFT

Are you asking about a full chord or a face chord?

It depends on how cold it is. The colder it is the more you will use to heat the home. It also depends on how large the house is and how well insulated the home is.

Also the efficiency of the wood furnace/boiler will depend on how long the cord will last.

And here I didnt' even know that chords came in different sizes!

So much to learn before I move!

KBCraig

Cord, half cord, face cord, and rick tend to have localized variations in meaning. Be sure to find out how much wood you're actually getting.

slim

Quote from: KBCraig on December 13, 2006, 02:23 PM NHFT
Cord, half cord, face cord, and rick tend to have localized variations in meaning. Be sure to find out how much wood you're actually getting.

How true buyer beware or "Caveat emptor"

mvpel

I bought some wood from a reseller who apparently didn't think to ask whether she was getting a face cord or full cord.  Luckily I have a 4x4x8 alcove in the garage so I could tell easily.

The bright side of the electricity cost is that the payback period for renewables is better.  When I redo my main panel I plan to make room for an inverter.

Russell Kanning

but your main question was which is cheaper .... so when you take it all into account ... I think wood is cheaper for me. It is more work .... you even have to ask people on a forum how a woodstove works. :)

slim

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 14, 2006, 06:16 AM NHFT
but your main question was which is cheaper .... so when you take it all into account ... I think wood is cheaper for me. It is more work .... you even have to ask people on a forum how a woodstove works. :)
I think using wood is cheaper but it would depend on how much your time is worth.

money dollars

Pat McCotter

Sweet Mercury

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 14, 2006, 06:16 AM NHFT

I'm cheap as hell, so I generally don't mind putting in a little work to save money. It actually sound's pretty cool, to sit and read by a wood burning stove.