• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Hey, PatK! Pack your bags!

Started by KBCraig, October 16, 2006, 12:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

I found the place for vacation.  ;D

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=John+Clayton%3a+From+Wales+to+NH%2c+with+love&articleId=47c66d29-b282-4c3a-acef-22c4acd8e3cc

John Clayton: From Wales to NH, with love

By JOHN CLAYTON
Union Leader Staff

I KNEW I WAS going to love Wales the first day I set foot in the capital city of Cardiff.

After taking the train in from my extremely modest digs in the village of Penarth, I stepped from the train in Cardiff Central Station, bound for the elegant shopping district on Queen Street.

As I did, I was greeted by the most wonderful aroma. It was an unmistakable blend of hops and malt and yeast that, to my finely trained nose, could only emanate from a place devoted to the brewing of beer.

I stopped and inhaled.

The joy on my face must have been apparent because a short, wizened old Welshman in a weathered tweed jacket watched me sniffing the air and he uttered but a single word.

"Brains," he said.

I figured he'd pegged me for an overeducated Yank who was there for some post-graduate work in journalism at University College-Cardiff, but in fact, he was telling me what I was smelling.

See, "Brains" is the national beer of Wales.

They make it right there in the capital using Goldings and Fuggles hops that are unique to Wales and I bring it up only because, in my heart of hearts, I'm hoping that Ian Reynolds was able to stash a few tins in his luggage for me before he left his home in the Rhondda Valley a few days ago.

Pat K