• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

LTE: Get rid of guns

Started by Ruger Mason, October 16, 2006, 10:50 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger Mason

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061016/REPOSITORY/610160347

Re "Two more Amish children die": Let 'em have guns. The gun control laws will take care of it.

Gun control is only as good as the number of law-abiding people there are in the country. The criminal, the enraged adult, the kid who finds daddy's gun - they are not controlled by gun laws.

No one should be permitted to own a firearm except the police and the military.

In Japan, that is the law. In 1995, there were 194 deaths from firearms. In the United States that same year, there were 113,000. That should tell us something.

It's time our government passed laws for our safety, which should include collecting every firearm in the country and melting them down for railroad tracks. True, this is a big order, but the longest journey begins with a simple step in the right direction.

Let's make the NRA a thing of the past and start on the road to a safer U.S.A.

BERNARD ASH
Concord

mvpel

Typical addlebrained anti-gun drivel.  It gets tedious refuting it time and time again.

KBCraig

I didn't write it, but my favorite reply to this argument is: "We had a world without guns once. It was ruled by the biggest and strongest men with clubs and swords, and we call it the Dark Ages."

Keviin

aries

Laws control people? ??? ??? ???

Tyler Stearns

Sounds like a good idea.  We need to give the police more of the upper hand on us.  >:(

aries

We need to create more laws that control how people eat, and drive on the roads. I mean, after this shocking revelation that laws control peoples actions, I figure we may as well make people be healthy and safe, right?

Hey, but I saw some marijuana once, I thought that was illegal? Hmm, a glitch in the matrix I guess.

HippyChimp

mvpel

They don't have to - they just pass a law to make it illegal for you to transfer the firearm to your heirs after you die, like they did with registered "assault weapons" in California, and voila - they don't have to kick down doors, they just wait a decade or two or three.  They've got plenty of time.

burnthebeautiful

That guy's a lunatic. Even Sweden lets people own guns if they have a hunting or target-practice license. Granted those licenses are difficult to get, but at least they're there. Going so far as not even wanting people to be allowed to own shotguns for hunting is insane.

As for the 113,000 deaths, maybe a significant portion of those people were attempting to rape or rob someone. Maybe people being able to acts of violence in Japan without being shot is a bad thing. I happen to know for a fact that Sweden has a higher rape rate per capita than USA.

aries

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on October 17, 2006, 07:47 PM NHFT
That guy's a lunatic. Even Sweden lets people own guns if they have a hunting or target-practice license. Granted those licenses are difficult to get, but at least they're there. Going so far as not even wanting people to be allowed to own shotguns for hunting is insane.

As for the 113,000 deaths, maybe a significant portion of those people were attempting to rape or rob someone. Maybe people being able to acts of violence in Japan without being shot is a bad thing. I happen to know for a fact that Sweden has a higher rape rate per capita than USA.

Does sweden allow handguns? (not concealed carry but ownership)... also what about scary looking rifles?

I heard that Finland's gun laws are extremely permissive, as long as your police chief issues a purchase permit you can get whatever you convince him to allow.

traveler

Atlas

CNHT

Quote from: mvpel on October 16, 2006, 01:14 PM NHFT
Typical addlebrained anti-gun drivel.  It gets tedious refuting it time and time again.

Again coming from the sheeple's republic of Concord.

sandm000

I call shenanigans!
Where does this guy get his Riduculously overinflated statistics from?
I checked out several anti-gun sites and came up with about 30,000 deaths annually for firearms in the US http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm(sources cited CDC) 60% of which are suicides. 12,000 homicides by firearm per year in a country of 300,000,000.

Look at the table on this page http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvinco.html(sources cited: US FBI, Taiwan National Police Administration) for a nice breakdown of how gun homicide correlates to the murder rate... what do you mean it doesn't? How could you say that? Just look at Taiwan, with less than half of the number of gun murders (per 100,000), but with 3 times the number of non-gun homicides (per 100,000) what do these numbers mean? Absolutely nothing.

If you have got a gun and don't use it for evil purposes, you don't have to worry, and if you have a gun and use it for evil purposes, it is just a matter of time before someone punches your ticket.