• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Your preferred thermostat setting?

Started by FTL_Ian, October 17, 2006, 02:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Just wondering what your personal preference is for winter house temperature.  We have currently not engaged the heat as of yet (except once to test that it actually works), as we are acclimating ourselves to being cold.  As such, our heater is set to kick on at about 53 degrees F.

Where is yours set?

dawn

No wonder your feet are COLD! 65 during the day, 60 at night. Plus a roaring fire that gets certain areas up to 75+.

mvpel

The previous owners set it to 72, but we tend to be around 65-68 during the day, and drop to 58 overnight.  With the added insulation and new windows, it has to be fairly cold outside for the furnace to come on overnight.

Lloyd Danforth

I've installed a few programable thermostats for my customers and they love them.

Russell Kanning

error

I'll take about 66 degrees, thank you very much.

Otosan

some where near 98 ..... ;D

in reality....about 65 to 68 day and night

Dreepa

Then after Nov 1 we can rethink it.  ;D

Pat K

Vote Tyler Stearns

Our thermostats are always off.  We walk around the house in shorts & t-shirts all winter when the woodstoves are cranking.  I'd prefer it around 66-68.  Husband would get along well with you Ian...he likes the temperature tropical...in fact, we have a roaring fire right now and he's still wearing two shirts, a sweatshirt, flannel lined jeans and smartwood socks.  The kids and I are in t-shirts.

KBCraig

Bear in mind that my comments are based on a lifetime in the Mid-South, where 60 degree swings are not uncommon in a three day period. I've been in a t-shirt in the morning (in January(!), with temps in the mid-70's, then had a dusting of snow by noon, 3-4 inches by 4:00, and 14 inches by the next morning.

And then, temps in the 80s three days later.  ::)

I avoid temperature extremes. When it's in the 90s-100s out, I set the thermostat no lower than 74, usually 76 or so. When it's in the 30s or below, I set it to 66-68. Because our forced hot air central furnace (natural gas) makes things so dry and uncomfortable, we usually put our oil-filled electric radiator in our big living room and bump the thermostat down to 60 for the bedrooms.

I like breathing cool air while sleeping under a big pile of quilts.

I really hate places that keep the A/C set at 65, and the heat set at 80. We can't wear sweaters here in the winter, because when it's sweater weather outside, all the stores are set to t-shirts/shorts temperatures. Six months later, when it's t-shirts/shorts weather outside, you need a sweater on the inside.

Yet another reason to get out of Texas and into New Hampshire!

Kevin

bogie

The Wonderful Spouse turned the heater on Friday because the house was down to 61 degrees. The thermostats are set at 68. However, once it gets cold enough, the woodstove will take over the heating duties for upstairs during the evenings/nights and weekends.

aries

to hell with heating I put on a sweatshirt

(the heat in the dorms so far has never turned on)

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Vote Tyler Stearns on October 17, 2006, 08:50 PM NHFT
Our thermostats are always off.  We walk around the house in shorts & t-shirts all winter when the woodstoves are cranking.  I'd prefer it around 66-68.  Husband would get along well with you Ian...he likes the temperature tropical...in fact, we have a roaring fire right now and he's still wearing two shirts, a sweatshirt, flannel lined jeans and smartwood socks.  The kids and I are in t-shirts.

Can I come live at your house.  I had to start wearing long pants a couple of weeks ago and miss my shorts ;D