• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tag banned at schools in MA, WY, WA

Started by Fluff and Stuff, October 18, 2006, 10:09 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluff and Stuff

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061018/ap_on_fe_st/playground_tag_ban_3

Yet another reason to take your kids out of the schools.  Some anti-homeschool people claim that homeschool doesn't allow kids to run around and play sports with their friends during the day.  Although that arguement was always weak and not correct, the arguement may soon be used against government schools.

QuoteNot it! Mass. elementary school bans tag

1 hour, 6 minutes ago

ATTLEBORO, Mass. - Tag, you're out! Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.
ADVERTISEMENT

Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.

While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro, a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball a few years ago, saying it was exclusionary and dangerous.

Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyo., and Spokane, Wash., also recently banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, S.C., school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.

"I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there are social skills they'll never develop on their own," said Debbie Laferriere, who has two children at Willett, about 40 miles south of Boston. "Playing tag is just part of being a kid."

Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.

CNHT

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on October 18, 2006, 10:09 AM NHFT
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061018/ap_on_fe_st/playground_tag_ban_3

Yet another reason to take your kids out of the schools.  Some anti-homeschool people claim that homeschool doesn't allow kids to run around and play sports with their friends during the day.  Although that arguement was always weak and not correct, the arguement may soon be used against government schools.

And they have banned playing 'cowboys and indians' too. And you think they can't ban french fries?  ;)

MaineShark

I remember being in school and playing marbles.  The school made us stop because it was "gambling."

So we came up with a new game, called "throw rocks at each other."  It was much more wholesome than gambling for little bits of colored glass ::)

Joe

Armed_Tennesseean

toowm

My homeschooled kids are much more fit than the average public school kids on their teams. They do have lot more time to just run around.

I also think that kids need more than a donut for breakfast, a crappy lunchroom meal or bag lunch, and McDonalds for dinner because their parents have no time. I remember in grade school getting incredibly hungry before lunch, then gorging, then getting sleepy in the afternoon. Being at home, my kids eat about 6 times a day (we call them hobbits: second breakfast, elevenses, etc.) based on when they are hungry. So far it has worked great giving them responsibility for their own health.

lildog

Quote from: MaineShark on October 18, 2006, 10:21 AM NHFT
I remember being in school and playing marbles.  The school made us stop because it was "gambling."

Many school banned card games like Pokemon or Magic for the same reasons.

I heard this lead story on the today show this morning.  They also banned dodge ball too.  Can't have anything where little Johnny may get hurt after all.  I'm shocked they haven't introduced rubber corners on all tables and desks too.   ::)

aries

We need to remove soft drinks and get these kids physically fit!

Preparing them for a life of jumping jacks and toe-touches in front of the telescreen?!

Otosan

When I was in grammer school, most of the guys would show up about 30 minutes before the school bell rung and play tag, chase and several other games.
At recess the games would continue.
With out this let off of energy, I guess I would have run down the hall screaming.
outlawing tag....sheech.... :P

KBCraig

Quote from: Otosan on October 19, 2006, 03:22 PM NHFT
When I was in grammer school, most of the guys would show up about 30 minutes before the school bell rung and play tag, chase and several other games.
At recess the games would continue.
With out this let off of energy, I guess I would have run down the hall screaming.
outlawing tag....sheech.... :P

"Less exercise, more Ritalin" seems to be the theme today.

bwisok

I heard the numbers for kids on drugs--I mean prescription drugs--and was astounded.  That's the drug problem we have, right there!  Today if the government schools don't brainwash you, they'll get you with medication.  In my era, I was able to resist the programming and nobody ever thought to compromise my precious bodily fluids.

aries

Quote from: bwisok on October 19, 2006, 04:50 PM NHFT
I heard the numbers for kids on drugs--I mean prescription drugs--and was astounded.  That's the drug problem we have, right there!  Today if the government schools don't brainwash you, they'll get you with medication.  In my era, I was able to resist the programming and nobody ever thought to compromise my precious bodily fluids.
The only drugs I'm on are recreational... maaaaaan.

They put me on Ritalin in 3rd grade but it didnt do anything to me.

I have learned that drugs DO NOT ever affect me, unless I take a way high dose. The only thing I've used recently was a cold-water extracted batch of hydrocodone that I took for a headache. Basically it was 5 vicodin without the acetaminophen.

8 or more cold-water-ex'd makes you feel really warm, relaxed and calm. Also very sensetive to noise, light, temperature, etc.

maineiac

Quote from: aries on October 19, 2006, 08:28 PM NHFT
. . . thing I've used recently was a cold-water extracted batch of hydrocodone that I took for a headache. Basically it was 5 vicodin without the acetaminophen.

8 or more cold-water-ex'd makes you feel really warm, relaxed and calm. Also very sensetive to noise, light, temperature, etc.

You want really warm, relaxed, and calm?

Lose the hydrocodone and get yourself some nice oxycodone. Tylox are oxycodone and tylenol, which I didn't find offensive. Two 5 mg caps do the trick.

Ah, memories!

error

It's bad -- and it's far worse for kids who wind up in the state bureaucracy. Half of foster children are heavily medicated and the state wants to medicate everybody from infancy.

bwisok

Yes, I'd imagine the foster kids would really have a serious medication problem.  I wonder if the prison system uses medication widely; does anyone have any information on that?  Comes the revolution and legal weed, the general population won't be needing all these synthetics: ref. Gatewood Galbraith's The Last Free Man in America.  But I'd like to put myself on record as more or less an advocate, if not a practitioner, of transcending drugs as much as possible: via meditation, spiritual healing, yoga, Tai Chi, etc., genuine clean-living mental clarity.  I've tried total drug abstinence for three months and it was a winner, plus I lost 20 pounds.

error, I appreciate your D of Homeland Stupity logos, etc.

Kat Kanning

When Russell was in prison, it seemed to him like he was the only prisoner who wasn't on medication.