• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

John McCain makes it sound so tempting . . .

Started by Spencer, October 18, 2006, 05:53 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Spencer

McCain jokes about suicide if Democrats win Senate

Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:36 PM ET

DES MOINES, Iowa (Reuters) - Arizona Sen. John McCain, a likely Republican presidential contender in 2008, joked on Wednesday he would "commit suicide" if Democrats win the Senate in November.

McCain, on a visit to Iowa to campaign for Republican congressional candidates, was asked his reaction to a potential Democratic takeover of the Senate in the November 7 elections.

"I think I'd just commit suicide," McCain told reporters, to accompanying laughter from Republicans standing with him. "I don't want to face that eventuality because I don't think it's going to happen."

Democrats must pick up six seats in the Senate and 15 seats in the House of Representatives to win control of both chambers.

Polls show Democrats within striking distance of reclaiming the Senate, and in a strong position to claim a majority in the House.

"I think it's going to be tough, but I think we'll do OK," McCain said of Republican prospects.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyid=2006-10-18T193648Z_01_N18365054_RTRUKOC_0_US-MCCAIN.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

As tempted as I am to vote a straight Democratic ticket based on McCain's "promise," I keep asking myself the same question: what difference does it make which of the "two" parties controls Congress?  At least if the Republicans are in the minority they MIGHT vote to oppose new spending, rather than proudly sponsor the bills that create the new programs, spending, regulations, etc.

Pat K

Well like any other promise from a politic, he won't hold to that one.