• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Hail gun owners!

Started by Armed_Tennesseean, October 18, 2006, 10:42 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Armed_Tennesseean

I apologise if this thread has been done. I did a search, but couldnt find another thread like the following.

Im a gun nut. Straight and simple. I find the stereotype that all gun owners are rednecks pretty insulting. That on top of being from Tennessee puts two strikes against me in the eyes of fence sitters. However, this isnt a thread about 2A politics. This is just a straight and simple "This is what I own" kind of thread. Seeing how im starting this thread, ill go first.

At the moment, I own three firearms. A Romanian WASR 10, a Russian M44 Mosin Nagant, and a Winchester model something or another 20 gauge shotgun.

The M44 I bought the day I turned 18. I figured id kick off adulthood right and it was the first place I stopped at after I got out of school.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/moldykorn/PDR_0044.jpg

^
Both the WASR and the M44.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/moldykorn/Shotgun1.jpg

^
My 20 gauge.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v295/moldykorn/?action=view&current=PDR_0007.jpg&refPage=80&imgAnch=imgAnch89

^
Another shot of the M44. Bayonet extended.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v295/moldykorn/?action=view&current=Shooting008.jpg&refPage=40&imgAnch=imgAnch42

^
And yet another. That was a fun range trip.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/moldykorn/PDR_0043.jpg

^
And one of me holding the WASR. I look like crap when i smile in pictures, so the pissed off look is unintentional.

burnthebeautiful

Sweet :)

I only have airguns and stuff because I can't be bothered spending the years it takes to get a gun license in Sweden.

Dave Ridley

armed wrote:

<<At the moment, I own three firearms. >>

U and yer three firearms are invited to move to new hampshire :)

KBCraig

That's a nice starting collection, AT.

I've got a Polish M44. They're quite the shoulder thumper, aren't they? But, not as bad as my Austrian M95/34 (8x56R). Some people claim the POI changes with the bayonet extended. I don't know; never wanted to spend enough time at the bench with mine to find out.

My main collecting focus is Enfields. Can't tell you off the top of my head how many I've got, but I was very proud of my last acquisition: a clean, complete, intact, matching Sht.LE Mk.V that I stole for $200 from a notoriously overpriced dealer who didn't realize what he had.

I have one Swiss K-31, and I wish I'd bought more when they were cheap. They're still cheap enough to pick up another when I get the chance.

I have two French MAS-36 and one MAS-35/51. Ugly, but excellent shooters.

I still have one Turk M1938 Mauser, out of a 5-fer that I bought about six years ago. The others were trading fodder. One of them plus a $20 bill got me a bee-yoo-ti-full, mint, Polish Wz.48 (looks like a Mosin-Nagant, but the action is actually more like a Mauser). It's a single-shot .22 trainer, and is super accurate if you do your part.

We have three Romanian M1969 .22 trainers that are great plinkers. We shoot them in the back yard with Aguila Super Colibri, and they're no louder than an air rifle. Oh, and we've got a few air rifles, too, but nothing fancy.

Two .22 rifles I inherited are a Mossberg M42M(c) that was my father's, and a Winchester Model 62 that was my grandfather's.

My only shotgun is a Winchester 1300 Defender 12-gauge (18", cylinder choke, full length mag).

Handgun-wise, I carry a Ruger P97DC. Mary has a Taurus M85 Ultralite Stainless (2" 5 shot .38) and a near-perfect East German Makarov. I also have a Ruger Standard Auto that was my father's.

I think that covers it... for now.  ;D

Kevin

Armed_Tennesseean

QuoteI've got a Polish M44. They're quite the shoulder thumper, aren't they?

Hehe, thats quite an understatement. When I first got it, I couldnt shoot more than twenty rounds at a time. Anymore after that and the pain became unbearable. It used to give me a good sized bruise too. But the the more I shot it, the better I learned to shoulder it, and now it doesnt bother me at all. Now the BOOOOOM it makes is another thing altogether. I tried to imagine a battle on the Eastern Front in WW2 with hundreds of rifles of that caliber firing, but it made my head asplode.

Sadly, theres a problem with the bolt. When I recycle it, it doesnt catch the trigger. And when I pull the bolt all the way back to chamber another round the whole bolt comes out without having to depress the trigger. Im hoping its a cheap fix, but im not sure. I know theyre cheap rifles, but its a bit sentimental for the fact that its really the first official thing ive ever owned(I filled out the forms at the gun store).

It was quite a shock going from a slow shooter to a rifle that eats lead for breakfast. That box in the picture with all the leaves was 780 rounds brand new. At the time of the picture it was about 700, and now its around 400. When I bought the WASR I bought about 200 rounds at the store and ate it up all in one trip. I bought a not so cheap tin of Chinese 7.62X39 at another local gun store for about $140(compared to just $100 for the 7.62X54) at another time and ate about half of it in one trip. I just killed the rest of the tin the other day, and its only the second ive gone shooting since buying the tin.

The WASR is going to be the last long arm I buy until I get a handgun somewhere down the line. Ive been considering a Glock 21( A friend of mine received it as a boot camp graduation gift from his Grandfather) but im going to keep looking(and handling, I have big hands, hence why I want a full size) until I find a handgun I want.

I already have a dream revolver, but im sure I wont get one of these for quite some time. Ive been looking around for a S&W Model 21 just to get an idea on the price, but I cant find one anywhere to just get a comparison.

You have quite a collection yourself. Doesnt the K-31 fire a 7.5 by something or another round? How available are those?

KBCraig

Quote from: Armed_Tennesseean on October 18, 2006, 11:30 PM NHFT
Doesnt the K-31 fire a 7.5 by something or another round? How available are those?

Very, for the time being.

It's the 7.5 Swiss, aka 7.5x55. It's a rather fat round that can be formed from .284 Winchester, but new production brass is available from Hornady and Lapua. Hornady and (that Portuguese manufacturer whose name I can't recall) sell loaded ammo.

The best ammo, though, is GP-11, which is Swiss milsurp. It runs about $180 for a 480 round sealed battle pack. Not cheap compared to 7.62x54R, but it's absolutely match grade stuff. The Swiss are serious about their rifle shooting! Their rifles and their ammo bear witness to the proverbial "Swiss watch".

Lots of folks reload to save money. It uses a standard .308 diameter bullet. The problem with reloading is that the rifle and cartridge were developed together, and the bullet has a rather unique shape with a long ogive. The closest thing available is the Berger VLD, which isn't a cheap bullet.

I really need to load up on GP-11, because I fear that once it's gone, it will be gone forever, just like the 1980's South African .303 British.

Kevin

KBCraig

Quote from: Armed_Tennesseean on October 18, 2006, 11:30 PM NHFT
QuoteI've got a Polish M44. They're quite the shoulder thumper, aren't they?

Now the BOOOOOM it makes is another thing altogether. I tried to imagine a battle on the Eastern Front in WW2 with hundreds of rifles of that caliber firing, but it made my head asplode.

The fireball that it produces from dusk to dawn is also quite memorable. Can you imagine the night battles, and stumbling around seeing stars?

QuoteSadly, theres a problem with the bolt. When I recycle it, it doesnt catch the trigger. And when I pull the bolt all the way back to chamber another round the whole bolt comes out without having to depress the trigger.

I will bet you that there is some dried cosmoline or built up grease blocking the trigger from fully returning. Take your carbine apart, removing the action from the stock. Take a stiff brush (like a toothbrush, not a wire brush), and scrub the trigger assembly in a pan of mineral spirits. Make sure all the gunk is gone, then apply some fresh lithium grease to the moving parts.

Next, turn your attention to the the stock inletting, and make sure there's no excess gunk that binds the trigger assembly, or which holds it too far from the bolt to allow proper engagement. Use a file, rasp (carefully!), or coarse sandpaper wrapped on a dowell to remove big chunks of dried goop. If all else fails, you can use alcohol to cut through it, because your Rooskie was finished in shellac. Be extremely careful to only apply the alcohol where you want it, because it will strip the finish.

If you aren't comfortable with the steps required for disassembly, here's a good link to get started: http://surplusrifle.com/mosincarbine/index.asp

QuoteIve been considering a Glock 21( A friend of mine received it as a boot camp graduation gift from his Grandfather) but im going to keep looking(and handling, I have big hands, hence why I want a full size) until I find a handgun I want.

Trying before you buy is a great idea. The only person who can decide which pistols "fit" you, is you.

You don't have to go full size just because you have large hands. In semi-autos, the grip size usually depends on the caliber. The Para Ordnance Warthog is a thick little brick of a .45, a double-stack, 3" 1911 subcompact, that carries 10+1 (and can accept the 14 round magazines of its larger cousins). I have fairly large hands for my size (5'10"), and I've never handled a pistol too big for my hands. I've found many that are too small. The Warthog fits perfectly, and I intend to buy one when finances allow.

Even if you go with a single-stack design, you can always change grips or add a grip wrap like the Hogue Handall, to bulk out the grip. (Don't use a Handall on any pistol with a grip safety, though!)

So... when are you moving to New Hampshire?  ;D

Kevin

aries

I have:

Yugo SKS
20 Ga pump shotgun with a pistol grip
.22LR Rifle semi-auto
Beretta 85F pistol
.25 pistol (very tiny, doesnt work well, actually my fathers)

Shawn

Browning "Sweet 16" Shotgun

Glock 27 .40 (For concealed carry)

Soon I will be buying a Mossburg Cruiser 12 gauge from a friend of mine.

Otosan

Armed 10ecian wrote "I own three firearms"

Well  he aint much of a redneck from TN.....most rednecks I know here in Tn ownes at least 5 or more weapons (not inculding their 2 or 3 bows).    ;D ;D ;D

Recumbent ReCycler

Quote from: Otosan on October 19, 2006, 03:19 PM NHFT
Armed 10ecian wrote "I own three firearms"

Well  he aint much of a redneck from TN.....most rednecks I know here in Tn ownes at least 5 or more weapons (not inculding their 2 or 3 bows).    ;D ;D ;D
He's still young, so it's understandable. 
If you buy or build 2 or 3 guns per year, you should eventually get a decent collection.  One year I was buying one gun a month, until I lost my job and couldn't afford to anymore.  Now I'm spending more money on diapers than on guns.  :(  I need to get my youngest daughter potty trained so that I can afford more gun parts.
Building guns is more satisfying than buying them, IMHO.  I have a fairly good assortment of firearms, but if you want to know what I have, you may have to come to NH and visit.  I have found the M44 has a nice trigger, and compared to a belted magnum, feels quite gentle on the shoulder.

KBCraig

Here's a pic of an M44 (not mine) firing at night.  ;D

MaineShark

Quote from: KBCraig on October 19, 2006, 02:20 AM NHFT
QuoteIve been considering a Glock 21( A friend of mine received it as a boot camp graduation gift from his Grandfather) but im going to keep looking(and handling, I have big hands, hence why I want a full size) until I find a handgun I want.
Trying before you buy is a great idea. The only person who can decide which pistols "fit" you, is you.

You don't have to go full size just because you have large hands. In semi-autos, the grip size usually depends on the caliber. The Para Ordnance Warthog is a thick little brick of a .45, a double-stack, 3" 1911 subcompact, that carries 10+1 (and can accept the 14 round magazines of its larger cousins). I have fairly large hands for my size (5'10"), and I've never handled a pistol too big for my hands. I've found many that are too small. The Warthog fits perfectly, and I intend to buy one when finances allow.

Springfield makes a nice widebody 1911, as well, in full-size and "ultra-compact."  I'm carrying one of each, right now, actually.  If 25 +P 230gr HydraShok's won't stop it, it probably doesn't need killing! :o

Joe

Michael Fisher

MattLeft

I love firearm-related discussions, but I always get leery of having them online.  I figure listing one-by-one the guns I possess (long list) is akin to registering your firearms with the government.  Even though we're not listing serial numbers, all it takes is a federal snoop poking around this site to peg exactly what you own.

Paronoia?  Probably, but I'm still not willing to risk it.