• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Volunteer activists?

Started by Cyro, October 21, 2006, 08:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyro

Has anyone ever consider getting volunteer activists for the Free State Project? I'm not currently in any position to move to the Free State, but if I could get a place to stay I'd be happy to move up for a month or so to participate in activism. So would the FSP be able to sponsor future movers to head to New Hampshire for activism? It might even be a good way to get more cynical libertarians or new minds to the idea to see that the FSP really is doing something.

Most volunteer work programmes want people to pay 'x' amount up front to cover food and lodging anyway so you?re basically 'paying your way' any how, just wondered if something specific could be set up. It would also help in clarifying what activism happens when and such, so that volunteers know what to do.

Just an idea... Thanks.

Dreepa

Quote from: Cyro on October 21, 2006, 08:06 PM NHFT
Has anyone ever consider getting volunteer activists for the Free State Project? I'm not currently in any position to move to the Free State, but if I could get a place to stay I'd be happy to move up for a month or so to participate in activism. So would the FSP be able to sponsor future movers to head to New Hampshire for activism? It might even be a good way to get more cynical libertarians or new minds to the idea to see that the FSP really is doing something.

Most volunteer work programmes want people to pay 'x' amount up front to cover food and lodging anyway so you?re basically 'paying your way' any how, just wondered if something specific could be set up. It would also help in clarifying what activism happens when and such, so that volunteers know what to do.

Just an idea... Thanks.

Welcome Cyro.... this is a pretty good idea.
Maybe it should be done by the NHLA instead of the FSP though.

KBCraig

Maybe Caleb's commune/temple/cult/fortress/ Ashram (thanks, Lloyd!  ;D) will turn out to be an activist HQ and hostel.

"Free wireless and a cot. Missions assigned. Pay for your own hots, and cold ones."

Sounds like a decent plan for Activism Central. Wish I was in a position to participate.

Kevin

Kat Kanning

Would volunteer activists come if we offered food and lodging, rather than money?

Cyro

Quote from: Kat Kanning on October 22, 2006, 07:34 AM NHFT
Would volunteer activists come if we offered food and lodging, rather than money?

That was the premise. We wouldn't be very good volunteers if we got paid. ;D

Kat Kanning

My roommate is working on buying a big house and making one big room into like a bunkhouse for visiting porcupines and volunteers such as you describe.  We'll have to see if his offer for the place works out.

Lloyd Danforth

I thought he was going to rent it

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

maxxoccupancy

A few of us in Manchester were talking about making one room available for potential activists who wanted to help out during elections and signature gathering, but didn't have employment, yet.  People could volunteer 20 hours a week, and a freestater would give them a room for a month or two, free of charge.  The notion of supplying both room and board were considered, but some thought that a bit costly.

--Max

anthonybpugh

I was thinking of renting a big house and then pack in as many roommates as the fire marshal would allow, but a lot of these other ideas sounds good too.  How about someone build a barn and let us all live in there

d_goddard

Quote from: maxxoccupancy on October 26, 2006, 09:26 PM NHFT
A few of us in Manchester were talking about making one room available for potential activists who wanted to help out during elections and signature gathering, but didn't have employment, yet.  People could volunteer 20 hours a week, and a freestater would give them a room for a month or two, free of charge.
That's an awesome idea.

Dreepa

Quote from: maxxoccupancy on October 26, 2006, 09:26 PM NHFT
A few of us in Manchester were talking about making one room available for potential activists who wanted to help out during elections and signature gathering, but didn't have employment, yet.  People could volunteer 20 hours a week, and a freestater would give them a room for a month or two, free of charge.  The notion of supplying both room and board were considered, but some thought that a bit costly.

--Max
Others not in the house might chip in for gas, elec, and other stuff.
Would you make them sign a contract that they had to volunteer for min of 20hours?

anthonybpugh

It would be better if you did not have them sign a contract.  There is some marketting principle where you just give something to someone and because they received the gift, the recipient has a psychological feeling of indebtedness.  I would imagine if you had no contract, the person would be more enthusiastic in their volunteer work. 

Also, the entire idea sounds more like a good deed, making it a contract just doesn't seem right. 

maxxoccupancy

Yeah, we're libertarians here.  Let's not get into all of those rigid rules and crap.

--Max