• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Flash tonight?

Started by John, March 07, 2005, 03:56 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

We could keep you fasting one time after another with every rotten thing the government is doing to people.

Mike and I are like a before and after picture of a 40 day fast. ;)

KBCraig

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 17, 2005, 11:08 AM NHFT
Fasting is a major theme in Christianity and several other religions.

Yes, but fasting is rarely practiced in mainstream churches. Even in the more "spiritual" churches where it has acceptance, it's not common.

QuoteI think it would greatly benefit their cause if their case leads to my prolonged fast.

And their response will be, "How is Mike going hungry going to get the city inspectors off our backs?"

Christians who practice fasting generally treat it as a purification of self, not an act of spiritual intercession for someone else. And contrary to the  "fast-a-thons" that you mentioned, I've always seen it advised that a fast be done quietly and privately. Otherwise, the required humility is just too easy to lose.

I have done short fasting. I agree that it's a wonderful process for purification of the spirit and body. When I started getting serious about my faith, one of my mentors was a wonderful elderly lady. In our conversations, I brought up fasting. She said she thought it was valuable if done properly. We talked more about it, and when I asked she said that yes, she'd fasted many times. I wanted to know more, and only when I'd pressed for details, did she tell me that she was fasting right at that moment. I believe it was Day 4.

I understand your heart, Mike. I'm only trying to caution you that your offer can be mistaken for a hunger strike protest. I know that's not what you're trying to do, but people who misunderstand it will dismiss you as a whacko.

Kevin

Kat Kanning

At my parent's church, they fast once a year.  I think it's for 24 hours.

Russell Kanning

man...how did we get from a flash protest to a slow humble fast? ;)

KBCraig

Quote from: russellkanning on May 17, 2005, 01:02 PM NHFT
man...how did we get from a flash protest to a slow humble fast? ;)

We're versatile!  ;D

Kevin

Michael Fisher

Quote from: KBCraig on May 17, 2005, 12:47 PM NHFT
I understand your heart, Mike. I'm only trying to caution you that your offer can be mistaken for a hunger strike protest. I know that's not what you're trying to do, but people who misunderstand it will dismiss you as a whacko.

Kevin

That's very true.  That's why I want to be very humble about it, and not go around spreading advance word of a fast as though it is a threat.  This is not what I want to do at all.  For me, a fast is a very personal act of self-suffering and self-denial that may or may not have an effect on others, but which is neutral in my mind to its effect on others.

Kevin, how do you believe I should approach this issue?  Remain silent about it until I actually begin a fast?  I do not want to provoke feelings of resentment or retaliation.

Pat K

Well I could fast but it would take about 6 months before any one could tell.

But people do juice fasts, I could do a beer fast.

Russell Kanning

That is a really good idea....say what you will, but the man has principles :)

Kat Kanning

I'm sure I could last a long time too  :o

John

Quote from: Pat K on May 17, 2005, 02:49 PM NHFT

" . . . could do a beer fast"?  What you haven't done that before? " . . .

Pat K

Quote from: John on May 17, 2005, 04:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on May 17, 2005, 02:49 PM NHFT

" . . . could do a beer fast"?? What you haven't done that before? " . . .

LOL yeah but this time I wouldn't even eat chips.

John

It won't be easy - the first time.

BTW,  I Thought I just posted my report on last night in Hampton here, but seem to have messed it up . . . I can't blame to site, but WTHell hicough was that?  Sorry, running on "sleep deprivation" now . . .
I'll post again later.

Ron Helwig

I fast every day, then I break it  :P

I did do a sort of fast for six months. No food for days at a time, but lots of good drugs to keep me going and beer to get me to sleep at night.
I lost 75 pounds and ended up in the emergency room  :)

Dreepa

I keep seeing this title and think of a man in a trenchcoat on the street 'flashing people'

Where has my mind gone?

John

I arived at Hampton Town Hall just befor 6:30.  One man, one sign (PROPERTY RIGHTS ZONED OUT), one flag (customized Gadsen/NHfree.com), and a plan to stay at least one hour . . . It is nice to be here this time of year because it is still light out, folks are out walking, and I can see the folks in the cars driving by.  Great responce right away . . .

One guy entering Town Hall asks if this is a local dispute.  He seems to be in a hurry so I give him a very quick thumbnail sketch, tell him he can find out more at NHfree.com by doing a brief search . . . , and he says, "I will go there."

I spot a group of young teenagers inside (and think that they must be here for educational purposes) so I decide I'll stay until after they leave - after all, what I'm doing is intended to be educational, and it should be good for them to learn about this.

About 60% of folks going by in cars are waving back, numerous honks, several thumbs up, a few big V signs, and one very big middle finger  :) (I allways like those.)

I'm standing in my "regular (the most vissible to passers-by) spot" across the street, and dispite the fact that there is no side-walk on that side, 5 times people (3 men, 2 women) came over to ask what was going on . . . They all wished us well.
Also 3 people stopped their vehicles to ask.  2 of those wished us well, and one said he is "a big inividual rights guy"   ??? but thought that the building inspector was right . . . after all, he said "The house is big enough for all of them."   ???  We were polite enough to one another, but I somehow forgot to thank that one for stopping by.

When the kids came out around 7:30, I heard "Hey, he's still there!"  There were about a dozen of them, and they were checking me out and reading my sign and flag.  As they were driven away by various parents, I go some realy big waves and V signs, and a honk.

I stayed a while longer and met a guy (about 80 years old) who had been in the same (old) industy as I.  He was personal friends with the brothers who had started the company I work . . .

I wrapped it just after 8:00.

Had pizza and beer afterwards . . . sun did not come out by 6:00 am so I headed to Mass. to take some pictures (inspired by Kat's "Mass. side" pictures from the Free JP event) . . .  went out to eat again back in Hampton . . . one last stop in a local store before leaving Hampton, I ran into one of the woman who had walked over the night before . . . Her comment is that what the Town of Hampton is doing to this family is "So wrong."

I'll be back.