• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

It's SNOWING!!!!!!!!

Started by Kat Kanning, November 02, 2006, 06:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Quote from: 41mag on December 10, 2009, 09:13 AM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 10, 2009, 05:02 AM NHFT
our snowblower still doesn't work ... i can't pull the cord
You're not supposed to be pulling on the power cord.  That goes in the outlet.   :D
oh yea

the snowblower finally melted the ice block inside the engine and coughed out a cup of water
one of our latest rainstorms must have done me in

Kat Kanning

Tom Sawyer

Some times it's enough just to make it home in one piece.

Took a run at the big hill coming up the mountain and some city slicker was stuck 3/4 way up... we would have made it, but ended up having to try and back down... ended up in the ditch... miraculously between two people pushing and me doing some wild ass maneuvers spun the car around... a controlled slide back down... waited 2 hours for the sand truck to come by... one more balls to the wall run at it and somehow made it up. Rain on snow on top of ice... that was fun. lol

Pat K

Yeah you mountain folk sure know how to party. ::)

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 13, 2009, 05:56 PM NHFT
Some times it's enough just to make it home in one piece.

Took a run at the big hill coming up the mountain and some city slicker was stuck 3/4 way up... we would have made it, but ended up having to try and back down... ended up in the ditch... miraculously between two people pushing and me doing some wild ass maneuvers spun the car around... a controlled slide back down... waited 2 hours for the sand truck to come by... one more balls to the wall run at it and somehow made it up. Rain on snow on top of ice... that was fun. lol

Second time in the ditch this winter?   :(

AntonLee

I'm sick of the snow already.

Lloyd Danforth

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteSome times it's enough just to make it home in one piece.

I had something like that today!

Lindsay has just got off of work, and she had an.. um... appointment?... with a new friend. We spent a few minutes on the phone debating how we would get home with the snow.

So I went out to get her and as we plugged along Hardy Hill, the car started spinning, and then gently sliding down the hill.

It took me two attempts to get up the hill in various gears (Thanks Yahoo! Answers!) but the second attempt I menaged to get JUST far enough that I stopped where a pickup was also stranded with their flashers on.

I hopped out, with someone else pulling up behind me and causing an embarassing roadblock. The other stranded guy and myself decided we'd trade pushes to get up the hill. So since I was blocking the "proper" side, we pushed the Malibu up the hill. It was tough, and still snowing like crazy, but we got enough to get the car over the crest and into the driveway. The third guy hopped in and pushed too; I suspect we'd have gotten stuck again without him.

So then we tried pushing the truck out, and even with three of us, it failed. Rear wheel drive. :(

Anyway... New Hampshire snows suck ass, but the have a really strange way of introducing neighbors to each other! There's always a silver lining, I suspect!

Pat McCotter

Is there not so much snow elsewhere that chains would be too much trouble? Or  is there enough to keep them on for a while?

Lloyd Danforth

The little storm that Kevin is talking about came in fast and was very slippery. Two guys left the compound left here after it began. They were sliding going down our road. When they got down to Rt. 4 they saw a guy slide off the road into a snowbank, helped him out and returned home.

Kat Kanning

Gak, glad you all are OK, TomSawyer!  And glad I didn't have to go anywhere yesterday!  I did a 180 at the bottom of Bullock's Crossing on Hwy 4 during the last storm.  No ditches for me though.

Free libertarian

A 5 gallon pail of sand to spread for traction and a shovel are handy to keep in the vehicle for getting unstuck.  The Grafton landfill has a pile of "free" sand.  Just think only about a week to go before winter is "officially" here.   No snow adventures count until it's winter...State law.   ;D

AntonLee

my neighbors laugh at me for going out and keeping up with it.  They're all old and frail and I was figuring they'd come out and ask me to shovel their snow too.  They just watched and waved (and chuckled). . . just as I get done, they open the shed door and the mother of all snowblowers comes out and morphs like a transformer.  They were done their whole driveway, stairs, etc in about 10 minutes.

these people are professionals.

I don't really mind it all that much, I love the view from inside but not on the road.  I saw a guy spin out and wanted to help him but if I stopped I would have been in an even worse position.  Sometimes you can stop and help push, sometimes it's every man for themselves.

cathleeninnh

Our town (Barnstead) also has a pile of free sand by the "town shed". I filled 2  5 gallon buckets there this morning.

We keep two tube sands in the bed of the truck at all times. Once last year at Ron's place in Deerfield, I got stuck and even my 4 wd didn't get me going again. We broke open one of the tubes under the tires and it worked like a charm.

Friday

PatK's going to have a white Christmas!  How festive!!   :icon_pirat: