• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

It's SNOWING!!!!!!!!

Started by Kat Kanning, November 02, 2006, 06:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

THAT was a lot of snow.  Good thing the driveway got Barskeyed, or I wouldn't have been able to get home!  :o

Mike Barskey

Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 09, 2009, 05:52 PM NHFT
THAT was a lot of snow.  Good thing the driveway got Barskeyed, or I wouldn't have been able to get home!  :o

Let's be fair: it was only 1/3 Barskeyed. It was also 1/3 Russelled and 1/3 Johned. :)

K. Darien Freeheart

Ummm...

Lindsay is stuck at the bottom of the hill. The Element won't climb it, it just keeps sliding.

I can't get out of the driveway because it's not plowed. This isn't bad planning, I swear! Someone came out to plow and the plow truck got stuck.

This could be interesting.

Kat Kanning

K. Darien Freeheart

Well... Yes, we did.

Lindsay got stuck at the bottom of the hill, and one of our neighbors (someone we haven't met yet) let us park the car at their place. Lindsay and her hung out for a bit.

Then, Artie got an armada of tractors here to rescue the plow truck and plow the driveway.

So, we're all set now. It was exhausting and... interesting. Lots of folks do stuff the Grafton way up here in Grafton. :P

Jim Johnson

Many people forget to compensate farmers when they help out folks.

:blush:   Maybe that should have been in Kate's getting laid etiquette thread. 

Tom Sawyer

Kevin, just so you know... this is about as slippery as it can be.

Give me cold weather when it snows, like below 20 degrees... it is much easier to get traction.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 09, 2009, 08:38 PM NHFT
Kevin, just so you know... this is about as slippery as it can be.

Give me cold weather when it snows, like below 20 degrees... it is much easier to get traction.
it was powdery snow here with no rain .... but lots of blowing around

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteKevin, just so you know... this is about as slippery as it can be.

I'm familiar with winter. I grew up in Michigan, and while I'm young, I had plenty of winter driving experience.

It's bad when it's "just cold enough" to snow. Pressure causes snow to melt, and the cold of the snow causes the water to freeze as ice. Ice = slippery. :) When it's really cold, it just poofs around the road. :)

What I was NOT expecting was the snow to hit like this. I think this is the third snow of the year (and ironically, 2 of 3 happened when I stayed the night in Keene...) and BAM, my car is buried. I expected some time to get used to it, to get a feel for how things would fare. Guess I was wrong. :P

QuoteMany people forget to compensate farmers when they help out folks.

I'm not sure if that was intended to be towards me, but Lindsay did provide a bit of non-monetary compensation for the lady who invited her in. She also speaks pleasantly of her, so it's possible she may have made a new friend as well. :)

The guy who plowed the driveway has a history with both Jerry and myself and I will most certainly trade favors with him as he's done for me.

Neighbors watch each other's backs, and while there are certainly exceptions, it seems to be a pretty strong meme here. Today, I needed more help than I offered. It won't always be that way. :)

Tom Sawyer

My ATV was having alot of trouble from the slippery wet snow.

I like when its 0 or below and the snow is so dry it squeaks when you walk-on it. Get about as good traction as sand.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Kevin Dean on December 09, 2009, 10:01 PM NHFT

I'm not sure if that was intended to be towards me, but Lindsay did provide a bit of non-monetary compensation for the lady who invited her in. She also speaks pleasantly of her, so it's possible she may have made a new friend as well. :)

The guy who plowed the driveway has a history with both Jerry and myself and I will most certainly trade favors with him as he's done for me.

Neighbors watch each other's backs, and while there are certainly exceptions, it seems to be a pretty strong meme here. Today, I needed more help than I offered. It won't always be that way. :)

I apologize for lame attempt at humor...
I'm no good sober.

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteI apologize for lame attempt at humor...
I'm no good sober.

It's okay. Word has it that I'm no good drunk. ;)

Russell Kanning

our snowblower still doesn't work ... i can't pull the cord

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Jim Johnson on December 09, 2009, 10:50 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kevin Dean on December 09, 2009, 10:01 PM NHFT

I apologize for lame attempt at humor...
I'm no good sober.
I thought it was petty funny!

41mag

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 10, 2009, 05:02 AM NHFT
our snowblower still doesn't work ... i can't pull the cord
You're not supposed to be pulling on the power cord.  That goes in the outlet.   :D